DIY Gelish nails 1st attempt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynsey1712

Reaction score
I've not posted here before but have been browsing these forums lately looking for hints and tips on Gelish application and colours, and have found a lot of helpful info on here.

One thing I did find a problem was trying to get an honest answer about ordering from Beverly Beaute. Until I came on here I had NO IDEA that they are not allowed to be selling to the UK. However, I am not a proffesional in Gel Nails nor have I been trained. I'm not looking to make millions out of nails, but instead save myself a few pounds getting them done as im perfectly capiable of doing it myself (I think) soooo I went ahead and ordered from Beverly Beaute as the prices were more competitve. The order came in a week, well packaged. Honestly I would buy from Beverly Beaute again and I would recommend them.

These are the results of my first DIY Gelish manicure - Colour Rendevous

35474_10151049161965124_893547989_n.jpg

You know what, why don't you go and do a manicure and pedicure course, get qualified, get insurance and start earning some money from it. If you enjoy it, it's a great sideline. You'll soon get addicted to Gelish and want all the colours.

I can't comment on your supplier however, I have never used them. I buy from Sally's on a VAT free day or buy from the Harmony stand at the trade shows so I can open the bottles and see what the colours REALLY look like.

I've not posted here before but have been browsing these forums lately looking for hints and tips on Gelish application and colours, and have found a lot of helpful info on here.

One thing I did find a problem was trying to get an honest answer about ordering from Beverly Beaute. Until I came on here I had NO IDEA that they are not allowed to be selling to the UK. However, I am not a proffesional in Gel Nails nor have I been trained. I'm not looking to make millions out of nails, but instead save myself a few pounds getting them done as im perfectly capiable of doing it myself (I think) soooo I went ahead and ordered from Beverly Beaute as the prices were more competitve. The order came in a week, well packaged. Honestly I would buy from Beverly Beaute again and I would recommend them.

This is a site for nail care professionals and I don't think you will get the response that you seek. I would suggest going to a DIY forum like those in in The Purse Forum - Nail Care - PurseForum where you will find a community of DIYers more receptive to questions.

Last edited:
Firstly I did not ask any questions for answers.

I was simply sharing my experience to help people who may have questions about Beverly Beaute (like I did) for them to decide whether they choose to commit the terrible act of ordering NAIL POLISH from across seas, seeing as everytime it gets mentions the post gets banished, like what you have done to mine.

I am not professional in GELISH however I have NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy which covers manicures and pedicures, and I don't see what is so different about my gelish manicure to many 'professional' ones i've seen. How rude of you to tell me I should not be posting here because I don't make money out of nails, how ignorant of you.

Check with your insurance to see if it covers you for Gelish application. If you're already a beauty therapist and have covered mani and pedi, I see no reason why you shouldn't offer it as a service. Your nail application looks lovely by the way.

Check with your insurance to see if it covers you for Gelish application. If you're already a beauty therapist and have covered mani and pedi, I see no reason why you shouldn't offer it as a service. Your nail application looks lovely by the way.

Thank you, very kind of you to say so, not doing beauty therapy professionally as I don't enjoy massage etc. However make-up is something I'm passionate about and would be great to offer nails as an extra service should the whole thing 'kick off' at any point. It's a very competitve trade though and hard to be a success... so think its best to ease yourself in by starting out with friends and family, gain experience and see if you would still enjoy it as a full on profession where there will be pressure etc as opposed to weekend work or hobby :)

35474_10151049161965124_893547989_n.jpg

Great paint job:)

Firstly I did not ask any questions for answers.

I was simply sharing my experience to help people who may have questions about Beverly Beaute (like I did) for them to decide whether they choose to commit the terrible act of ordering NAIL POLISH from across seas, seeing as everytime it gets mentions the post gets banished, like what you have done to mine.

I am not professional in GELISH however I have NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy which covers manicures and pedicures, and I don't see what is so different about my gelish manicure to many 'professional' ones i've seen. How rude of you to tell me I should not be posting here because I don't make money out of nails, how ignorant of you.

I am sorry you interpreted my response this way. I did not say you were asking questions, I just noted that you might not get any good response on a DIY effort in a professional site. And I certainly did not make any negative comment about the quality of your manicure, which I thought was lovely. If I was ignorant of your status, it is because you did not indicate on your profile or anywhere else that you were a nail professional, and it was you that defined your efforts as DIY. If you look through this site, you will see that DIY efforts are met with great disdain and even outright anger here. I thought I was preparing/protecting you from that. As you can see, your posting has been moved to the consumer section, so clearly others made that connection as well. You really ought to consider how you present yourself before you jump sh*tty (as we say in the US) and start calling names at others.

Last edited:
They look fab! Well done, I haven't been on any of the UV polish courses but I am a qualified beauty therapist. I have not encountered any problems since I started with Shellac in Jan. Only just started with Gelish but so far so good!
As for Beverly Beaute, years ago I did buy some China Glaze polishes from them as the colours were then only available in the States, I found the service very good but I would rather buy the Shellac and Gelish from the main distributor or my local wholesalers, purely because if I have any problems I can let them know and also I know its the real deal! Good luck with the UV nails xxx

I am sorry you interpreted my response this way. I did not say you were asking questions, I just noted that you might not get any good response on a DIY effort in a professional site. And I certainly did not make any negative comment about the quality of your manicure, which I thought was lovely. If I was ignorant of your status, it is because you did not indicate on your profile or anywhere else that you were a nail professional, and it was you that defined your efforts as DIY. If you look through this site, you will see that DIY efforts are met with great disdain and even outright anger here. I thought I was preparing/protecting you from that. As you can see, your posting has been moved to the consumer section, so clearly others made that connection as well. You really ought to consider how you present yourself before calling names at others.

Okay well maybe we may have a misunderstood eachother. Why should people get angry about 'diy efforts'

My personal opinion in general is that people worry way to much about 'training' and being a professional. Some people have a natural ability to be good at certain things whilst others do not and no amount of training would change that.

The reason I said i'm not professional and it was DIY was for 2 reasons, firstly so people knew i did not order from Beverly Beaute to use in a salon (i'd order from nail harmony if this was the case)

and

Secondly it is DIY because I did it - MYSELF to show you don't necessarily need to spend loads of money on Gelish training to able to do it - as I've seen a few preachers on here that treat Gelish nail painting as if its a heart bypass operation.

All i know is that my post got moved because I said I did it myself and I am not a professional in Gelish - which I think was slightly uneccesarry and irrelevant to my post. Sorry if I offended you.

They look fab! Well done, I haven't been on any of the UV polish courses but I am a qualified beauty therapist. I have not encountered any problems since I started with Shellac in Jan. Only just started with Gelish but so far so good!
As for Beverly Beaute, years ago I did buy some China Glaze polishes from them as the colours were then only available in the States, I found the service very good but I would rather buy the Shellac and Gelish from the main distributor or my local wholesalers, purely because if I have any problems I can let them know and also I know its the real deal! Good luck with the UV nails xxx

Thank you, I totally agreed with you on the fact it would be a total hassle sending stuff back to the states if there was a problem, I guess that's a chance you take if you order from there. I hope you enjoy using Gelish, the colours are soooo nice :D x

The reason that we get a bit touchy about DIY jobs is that there is so much science behind most of the products we use and we have all seen untold damage done to people when chemicals are used in untrained hands.

How would you feel if one of your clients got their hands on some of your professional only dermabrasion peels and used them at home willy nilly without knowing what they were doing and all their skin fell off in blisters.

Knowing the science behind the new brand of gel polishes and hybrids is not something you can guess at.

Yes there was a misunderstanding in your post and the movement of your post. If you are qualified in manicures and pedicures then your post could have remained in the nail forum.

The problem with some of these companies is that they send things by normal post which is against the law as they are hazardous goods. They should be sent by proper channels and also you should be paying duties on these items when they arrive in the UK.

Okay well maybe we may have a misunderstood eachother. Why should people get angry about 'diy efforts'

My personal opinion in general is that people worry way to much about 'training' and being a professional. Some people have a natural ability to be good at certain things whilst others do not and no amount of training would change that.

The reason I said i'm not professional and it was DIY was for 2 reasons, firstly so people knew i did not order from Beverly Beaute to use in a salon (i'd order from nail harmony if this was the case)

and

Secondly it is DIY because I did it - MYSELF to show you don't necessarily need to spend loads of money on Gelish training to able to do it - as I've seen a few preachers on here that treat Gelish nail painting as if its a heart bypass operation.

All i know is that my post got moved because I said I did it myself and I am not a professional in Gelish - which I think was slightly uneccesarry and irrelevant to my post. Sorry if I offended you.

While I don't like the disdainful attitude often displayed here towards DIYers, as a former tech, I do understand that professionals who have trained and studied are often put off by the efforts of uneducated and poorly skilled people. Moreover, I understand that this is a real hit in their wallets when people do this, and particularly when they do it badly, turning people against professionals and the products. While Gelish, Shellac and other gel polishes are not rocket science or heart bypass, they do require a degree of learning and training. I would argue that this is not beyond the ability of people untrained as nail techs, but it does require some understanding of the art and science of nail care. On the other hand, I also see such incredible damage done by so-called professional and such excellent work by dedicated DIYers that I cannot issue a blanket assessment of either and prefer to evaluate each person on the quality of their work.

That said, it is generally a bad idea to jump back at people with anger and name calling because they disagree with you or don't give you the answer you want. This is supposed to be a supportive learning community and as such it requires a certain willingness to give people the benefit of the doubt - even when sometimes that gets hard.

The reason that we get a bit touchy about DIY jobs is that there is so much science behind most of the products we use and we have all seen untold damage done to people when chemicals are used in untrained hands.

How would you feel if one of your clients got their hands on some of your professional only dermabrasion peels and used them at home willy nilly without knowing what they were doing and all their skin fell off in blisters.

Knowing the science behind the new brand of gel polishes and hybrids is not something you can guess at.

Yes there was a misunderstanding in your post and the movement of your post. If you are qualified in manicures and pedicures then your post could have remained in the nail forum.

I understand that there are certain products that should not be played with - however in the grand scheme of things I am not sure that the Gelish Polish could kill someone, and if it did it would kill them whether or not i'd spent 'x' amount on training where someone simply shows me what to do and how to apply. Yes I may have insurance but they would still be dead at the end of the day (obviously if we're being extreme here)

Also you mention about sending Hazardous goods. They were well wrapped up properly as if they were sent through the correct Channels.

Lets be honest we all do something a bit naughty once in a while, you can't blame people for wanting stuff cheaper, and to be honest, if I hadn't got the stuff the price I did I wouldn't have ordered it at all from anywhere - therefore nail harmony still do make more money out of and I get my Gel Polishes - WIN/WIN

While I don't like the disdainful attitude often displayed here towards DIYers, as a former tech, I do understand that professionals who have trained and studied are often put off by the efforts of uneducated and poorly skilled people. Moreover, I understand that this is a real hit in their wallets when people do this, and particularly when they do it badly, turning people against professionals and the products. While Gelish, Shellac and other gel polishes are not rocket science or heart bypass, they do require a degree of learning and training. I would argue that this is not beyond the ability of people untrained as nail techs, but it does require some understanding of the art and science of nail care. On the other hand, I also see such incredible damage done by so-called professional and such excellent work by dedicated DIYers that I cannot issue a blanket assessment of either and prefer to evaluate each person on the quality of their work.

That said, it is generally a bad idea to jump back at people with anger and name calling because they disagree with you or don't give you the answer you want. This is supposed to be a supportive learning community and as such it requires a certain willingness to give people the benefit of the doubt - even when sometimes that gets hard.

I agree with you completly, the only thing I was annoyed with is that my post got moved because I'm not working professionally in the nail industry. I am gaining knowledge on nail care to avoid mistakes, hence why I am on this Forum in the first place, well until I got shifted over to the novice forum for the people in nail oblivion! Charming lol.

I have 2 issues with this as it appears that you are getting your product from the US

1) you are not supporting your local distributor/local economy

2) It says on the Beverly Beaute website 'we do not charge VAT' and 'there is no fee on custom duty' but it doesn't tell you you have to pay import VAT which I though you had too on this type of purchase, this is why it's not any cheaper to get it outside the EU than it is to get it from your local distributor.

The taxes I pay not only go towards lining the pockets of politicians but also pay the wages of those in the police service, NHS, armed forces etc

If this offends anyone, remember, this is MY opinion :hug:

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator
HM Revenue & Customs: Tax and duty on goods brought to the UK from outside the European Union

I have 2 issues with this as it appears that you are getting your product from the US

1) you are not supporting your local distributor/local economy

2) It says on the Beverly Beaute website 'we do not charge VAT' and 'there is no fee on custom duty' but it doesn't tell you you have to pay import VAT which I though you had too on this type of purchase, this is why it's not any cheaper to get it outside the EU than it is to get it from your local distributor.

The taxes I pay not only go towards lining the pockets of politicians but also pay the wages of those in the police service, NHS, armed forces etc

If this offends anyone, remember, this is MY opinion :hug:

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator
HM Revenue & Customs: Tax and duty on goods brought to the UK from outside the European Union

No I am not supporting them and my reason being is that I simply can't afford it, like i said if i didn't order it for Beverly Beaute I wouldn't have ordered it at all. Therefore Nail Harmony would make NO money whatsoever, Beverly Beaute products are genuine so must come from Nail Harmony therefore they still make some money.

I didn't have to pay any import tax, I paid the price it said on the website plus free delivery as my order was over £100.

I pay enough tax on my wages, my car, the road, my flat and everything else I buy to not care about not paying tax on one of my purchases. The tax you pay not only goes to the policians and people that work for the government, it also goes to benefit scheming people who can't be bothered to work and the people that work full time (like me) have to substitute what the lazy people don't pay, so much that I have to get 2 jobs. SO I thought stuff it, get something back for once. :green:

just so you are aware it is pot luck that you didnt pay import tax. if you check the import label you will find that beverly beaute will have marked the items as 'gift' or attributed a lower value. Basically they are deceiving customs. If customs officers check the contents which they do from time to time you will then have to pay the import charges (and a fine) to receive your goods.
Obviously its your own personal moral code whether you see this as illegal or just a bit naughty but if you are recommending it to others then its fair that the risks are given.

Having checked the site the prices are cheaper by pennies in most cases and shellac for example is actually more expensive than authorised distributor so I dont see why if you have a manicure qualification you wouldnt just buy your products from the proper uk seller.

This is a site for professionals and that is made clear. The owners of the site want to keep it that way. There are plenty of other forums and sites available to discuss how the public to obtain professional products and how to do DIY gel polish but this isnt the place. DIY on this site means untrained member of public doing there own (or friends and family) manicure. It doesnt mean professional (trained) person doing there own nails. The OP's manicure is lovely but she is a qualified and talented professional not a DIYer.

just so you are aware it is pot luck that you didnt pay import tax. if you check the import label you will find that beverly beaute will have marked the items as 'gift' or attributed a lower value. Basically they are deceiving customs. If customs officers check the contents which they do from time to time you will then have to pay the import charges (and a fine) to receive your goods.

Just to add to this...

... BB are illegally shipping and smuggling in goods when they mis-declare items and values in order to avoid duties, shipping costs and to avoid tax.

The issue here is that YOU will be the one held accountable for tax evasion and smuggling as you were the one that ordered the parcel and did not notify HMRC of the incorrect documentation. Once HMRC catches on to these shipments, there is a probability that you could be "done" well after the fact with bills for correct VAT AND fines.

If purposeful tax evasion and smuggling is your "thang" then so be it, but you are then part of a much larger problem than being simply "unprofessional". Tax evaders cause more financial strain on the people of this country as we get to pick up your contributions to the government. It is estimated that over £12 BILLION in VAT revenue is lost annually via evasion. To put it into perspective, evaders cost us non-evaders 15% more in VAT.

When you choose to support smugglers and tax evaders in order to save VAT on product, you divert real revenue from businesses that employ people, educate professionals and invest in developing the industry and you shift revenue who invest nothing into the industry and divert funds from the government which causes us to have to pay more.

Lame-ola.

I don't expect people who willfully evade tax to really care about these issues but it would be nice to have a slightly bigger picture mentality.

Latest posts

Back