Do I charge too much for mobile??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I received a call today from a woman who saw my advert in the newspaper, she asked me how much I charge for a manicure and pedicure and what it included, so I explained my mini manicures cost £10.00 which include cuticle work, a shape and a hand massage and take about 20 minutes. A classic pedicure is the works except for a mask and that is £25.00. I did say that any polish would be extra as it takes extra time. She then proceeded to tell me that she can go to her local salon down the road and pay £35.00 which includes polish on her hands and toes and she doesn't know why I am so expensive if I don't have any overheads!!! I don't own a salon, I don't have rent to pay!! I thought, you cow!!!!

I got so defensive, and I shouldn't have done, and told her that I have a massive clientele that say to me that I provide a more luxurious service and more professional service than any other salon in town. I also told her that I have to pay extra for business insurance on my car, I cover a 15 mile radius and don't charge extra, I also work from 10 am to 10pm. I said to her if you feel cheated paying my prices then go to your local salon but bare in mind that I charge what I feel I'm worth and my clients pay my prices without a problem so that must tell you something. I also mentioned that I do not use low cost products.

This is really bugging me now, what are your opinions?? It felt like she was atacking me, as if she'd deliberatley phone me to have a go!!!

xxxx

Don't let her get to you!!! You did the right thing sticking up for yourself xxx

Too right!

You're there to provide the best service possible and that doesn't come cheap!

Best to focus on the loyal customers you do have hun :D

You're really going through it at the moment aren't you chick :hug:

Your prices are more than reasonable and don't let anyone make you doubt yourself - remember you what you said to her 'you have a massive client base who all happily pay your prices and come back time and time again'. If you were over priced then you wouldn't have any clients.

Ignore her, she was obviously having a bad day and you were on the receiving end of her bad temper.

Let her go to her local salon, she'll never get the same service there as she'll get from you so it's her loss not yours.

Hey Rose,

you did right - it annoys me that people think because we dont have high street salons, that we are any worse technicians. Think of the extras she is getting having you coming to her house. If you make an appointment with a chiropodist etc, you pay more to have them come to you.

Agree your prices are very reasonable. In fact £10 for a mini manicure is cheap. I charge £18 for classic manicure, £24 for SPA and £10 for a polish chance. I get loads of clients wanting the above and no one (so far) has complainted about my prices.

Dont let it get to you. From her reaction she may not have been a nice client to do anyway.

me too, my cheapest mani is £15 and my cheapest pedi is 20 (feet uggh hate them).

Hi,
You forgot to factor in all the wasted time you use up driving to the client. That's probably you're biggest loss because whilst you're driving you can't be earning. Plus there's all the stress of traffic etc.

I think you're prices look very reasonable and if this woman (of the bovine persuasion) thinks she can find cheaper then let her. That sort of client is never going to be grateful for the excellent job you've done, and will only take you for granted.

So, don't let it get to you, it just isn't worth it.
Pretty watertight defense though!

Colin

Dont pay any attention to her! I have had this from a few people expecting me to lower my prices because they think i dont have any over heads but what they dont realise is that I have insurance, car insurance, products, petrol, time wasted traveling and my own advertising not to mention other things i cant remember right now :o

I wouldn't worry about it, carry on as you are your clients obviously think your worth it!

xx

So what is the going rate for a mobile creative nail technician to charge for l&p extensions?
Also where do u get insurance from?

Minxy1886 said:
So what is the going rate for a mobile creative nail technician to charge for l&p extensions?
Also where do u get insurance from?

I would get price lists from salons local to you and price similar to those. dont think you have to be cheeper tho!

I charge £30 per set which is about the average for where i live.

As for insurance do a search and you will prob find a lot of useful info. i am with proffessional beauty which is about £35 for nail tech insurance.

HTH

i Think you did right in defending yourself what you said makes perfect sense. I also think that as mobile beauticians we are expected to be cheap. I have raised my prices in the last year to reflect that I am not cheap and they will get a good service.

Don't let her get to you xxxxxxx

just a thought, coz I'm a devious mere myself, are you sure she wasn't from one of thows salons that she mentioned? who had her nose out of joint because someone has told her you are better than she is? and then to cap it all you are more expensive.
Anyway your prices are the same as mine and I don't give them the added benifit of not haveing to go out in the cold after their relaxing treatment.
What goes around comes around hun, so you keep doing it right and let the likes of her continue on in their own sad, narrow minded way.

Hi There,

I do not feel that mobile should be any less expensive than salons . It makes me really mad that people are not willing to pay for this personal service .Think of it this way - If you hired a personal trainer to come to your house would you expect to pay less than if you went to the gym? I think not!!!

As someone else said your time MUST be factored in when setting your charges. Travelling and setting up /clearing up is wasted time unless you take this into account

Don't let it get to you.

Karen x

I know this is a bit different but my Mobile Hairdresser is much more expensive than the salons in my town but i use her as she is really good & i am happy with the service she gives me - wouldnt expect her to charge less just cos sheis mobile xxxx

~shelley~ said:
Don't let her get to you!!! You did the right thing sticking up for yourself xxx

too bloody right - well said

Thank you everybody that has replied, I am very proud of my service and I think to charge any less would be selling myself short. Your comments have really helped as it's been bothering me the whole day :hug: Or then again maybe you guys agree just because you are techs and understand these things.

One day I want to be a salon where people would give their right arm to come to, nail techs are dying to work for and a service unlike any other, this is my dream and sometime these selfish people make me feel as if I should question these goals!!!

xxxxx

Trinity Nails said:
You're really going through it at the moment aren't you chick :hug:

You don't know half of it my love :hug:

Susie H said:
just a thought, coz I'm a devious mere myself, are you sure she wasn't from one of thows salons that she mentioned? who had her nose out of joint because someone has told her you are better than she is? and then to cap it all you are more expensive.

Do you know what ..... I was wondering that exact same thing!!! Great minds think alike!!!

xxxx

Rose143 said:
You don't know half of it my love :hug:

You can tell me all about it in the morning, I will have your latte ready for your on arrival madam :D

And we'll put the world to rights

Latest posts

Back