Do you Patch Test all new clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnypaws

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a customer yesterday who came up in a rash the next day!!! They were fine about it and the doctor thinks its more to do with hormones as they had just stopped breast-feeding. Has anyone else had someone have a reaction?

Do you patch test every client before they have a spray-tan? I was told only to do this if they haven't had a fake tan before? Is that right?

:eek:xx

I think we should always patch test clients no matter what treatment it is. We are all so different and every product is different i don't think it's enough to say i've had a tan before so i'll be fine with this one.

It doesn't take long but saves someone from being very disappointed when they're beautifull treatment turns sour.

xxx

I think we should always patch test clients no matter what treatment it is. We are all so different and every product is different i don't think it's enough to say i've had a tan before so i'll be fine with this one.

It doesn't take long but saves someone from being very disappointed when they're beautifull treatment turns sour.

xxx

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any wording in the consultation form that covers for anything, like a reaction?

xx

No i don't cover it on my consultation card. I would have did a patch test and known whether an allergy would result.

However i do give my clients their aftercare sheets giving clear instructions on how to care for their treatment to avoid reactions occuring, and if something does go wrong i tell them to come back in and see me so i can interrogate them as to what they didn't do (only kidding it's not quite an interrogation)

A patch test helps you know whether a problem is allergy or clients stupidity. Like getting a tan then next day using a new moisturiser which they react to and blaming you for the reaction.

Hope you see what i mean i tend to waffle x

No i don't cover it on my consultation card. I would have did a patch test and known whether an allergy would result.

However i do give my clients their aftercare sheets giving clear instructions on how to care for their treatment to avoid reactions occuring, and if something does go wrong i tell them to come back in and see me so i can interrogate them as to what they didn't do (only kidding it's not quite an interrogation)

A patch test helps you know whether a problem is allergy or clients stupidity. Like getting a tan then next day using a new moisturiser which they react to and blaming you for the reaction.

Hope you see what i mean i tend to waffle x

That's great, thank you for you advice. I am going to patch test everyone from now on xx

i patch test all new clients and on my consultation cards that i get from my tan liquid provider it asks if you have had a patch test and makes the client sign.

Then unless i change liquid or the strengh of the liquid i just re-test every 6 months or unless anythink for them changes ie: meds, illness ect

yes I tend to test with every new client for a lot of treatments. Spray tan tests establish if clients are not allergic to DHA/EHA or any other ingrediant present and also to ascertain the right colour for the client if you have several colours. I do all new clients regardless of what they have used before, and more so if they have started new medication/menopausal/during or post pregnancy. Once they become a regular then everytime they come in for a treatment I get them to re-sign their consultation card to state they have had no changes in their circumstances since their last treatment and to inform the salon of any new prescription medication, or if they have any new skincare regime, or been diagnosed woth any health care problems including the menopause or pregnancy as these can effect the outcome or safety of their treatment.

I find it always works as clients dont think of these things when they come for a routine appointment. Its amazing how many clients my card has prompted to inform me of early pregnancy (when they said they wouldnt have thought to mention it and would have kept quiet until week 12), and a few clients have informed me of being diagnosed with diabetes, heart disease, and medication changes that cause thinning of the skin (I keep a medicine manual in my shop to look up side effects of all prescription medication).

I also test nail extensions/lash tinting/waxing etc.

Better to be safe than Sued!!!

Kate

It would be worth checking with your insurance company. Some will have specific requirements with regard patch testing which you should follow to avoid any complications if a claim is made.

hi i always patch test my clients i also have a sheet that they eather sign to say they had a patch test or if they are in a hurry and dont want the test then there is a waver form i get them to sign as well

Hi all,

I had a customer yesterday who came up in a rash the next day!!! They were fine about it and the doctor thinks its more to do with hormones as they had just stopped breast-feeding. Has anyone else had someone have a reaction?

Do you patch test every client before they have a spray-tan? I was told only to do this if they haven't had a fake tan before? Is that right?

:eek:xx

It is important that whenever possible you do a patch test..it only takes one person in 10 thousand to react ..bet your bottom dollar it will be the one you thought would be fine.

just a thought..are you aware that it is well worth considering not spraying a woman who is pregnant for the first time...also for pregnant females in general please ensure you definatley do a patch test,do a thorough consultation and also make them aware that it is possible that the tan may not take..if they wish you to proceed ensure you get a disclaimer signed.

Think safe..think spraytan but keep spreading the :Love::Love:

Yes and another problem with us pregnant women is when the tan takes it can also cause permenant hyperpigmentation as I have just discovered!!!!

I applied a few applications of a new tan that I was testing and now I have what appears a permenant patch of pigmentation on my neck - I am gutted!!! Its my third baby as well, and the other two I was fine with - maybe its because this ones a boy and the testosterone is high in my body causing this reaction! I think theres risks with everything. But I would certainly avoid tanning a pregnant lady up until after there first trimester in case of miscarrage and they blame you!

Kate

hi i always patch test my clients i also have a sheet that they eather sign to say they had a patch test or if they are in a hurry and dont want the test then there is a waver form i get them to sign as well

I was always told that if the client refuses a skin test and they sign a waiver it will not hold up in court! The courts say you should have known better and did your job by doing the patch test. Could be wrong but in 3 of the courses i've been on where patch testing is relevant i was told a client waiver will not hold up and you will still have your butt sued!!!

Yes that is what I have been led to believe too! Its just not worth the risk.

I think its the guilds or babtacs T&C's of their insurance that they will not cover waivers.

Kate x

Hi Ladies,

I'm new and will be training for spraytan the 16th of June (can't wait). I'm sure I'll be learning it but how do you patch test? Do you have to take out all your equipment and spray a patch or can you just dab a little bit of liquid on a Q-tip for instance and rub it on the client's skin?

Just curious!
Thanks,
Marie

when i was traind we were given the waiver sheets there shorley the collage should know what is ok and what is not we were never told that a patch test had to be done just that it was avaisabel to do them this is the samewhen it comes to hair dye it is not law to do a patch test and if the client dose not want one then that is ok in the eyes of the law but i do try to talk them in to it wear i can.

"if in doubt dont let the spray out", thats what I do.:)

I also patch test all new clients and will patch test also if I am changing solution for any reason, Yes, it may be time consuming and I may have to drive in their direction BUT in this day and age its just not worth the risk not too!

"if in doubt dont let the spray out", thats what I do.:)

I also patch test all new clients and will patch test also if I am changing solution for any reason, Yes, it may be time consuming and I may have to drive in their direction BUT in this day and age its just not worth the risk not too!

Good for you and your spot on..well done and well worth taking the trouble..I have had a salon on only this morning who switched from brand "A" (as they were having a high number of skin reaction problems) over to brand "B"...all was running well untill Monday when they sprayed a customer who had used brand "A" before and they assumed she would be fine with their new brand...well she came out in a rash and was sick after the spray...it turns out that she would have been fine with brand "A" but brand "B" contained nut oil extract's...she of course was allergic to nuts.

So it is really well worth going through the pain barrier of patch testing if spraying someone new or if you have changed brands

Happy safe spraytanning :hug::hug:

Can someone just explain how a patch test is performed?

I am mobile and have been spray tanning for 5 years and never performed a patch test (this was not in my training). Do you set up all your equipment as normal and just patch test the leg or can you dab some solution somewhere - if so, where is the best place?

Sarah x

Can someone just explain how a patch test is performed?

I am mobile and have been spray tanning for 5 years and never performed a patch test (this was not in my training). Do you set up all your equipment as normal and just patch test the leg or can you dab some solution somewhere - if so, where is the best place?

Sarah x

Just dab a small amount of product somewhere hidden like behind the ear and leave it 24hrs if a reaction occurs don't treat if not spray away!

You don't test by spraying a leg ha ha don't worry just a small dab of product will do.

Safe spraying x

Yes and another problem with us pregnant women is when the tan takes it can also cause permenant hyperpigmentation as I have just discovered!!!!

I applied a few applications of a new tan that I was testing and now I have what appears a permenant patch of pigmentation on my neck - I am gutted!!!
Kate

Are you sure that you didn't get the pigmentation from not putting enough sun protection on when you had the spray tan? :hug: Melanin production can increase during pregnancy causing chloasma on the face/neck/chest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back