Do you Patch Test all new clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it wasnt the sun!!! It was this new product I bought to try called UBER Tan. I did it three times at 6 months pregnant and I am due next week and there is a dark patch on my neck and patches of orange pigmentation on my arms.

I am gutted and only hope it goes in time! I was fine with the other two babies and I had spray tans and natural tans with them!

It would certainly make me warn any clients that are pregnant just in case it happens to them.

Its a good job I love my tans so I can cover my pigmented areas up - only now I will wait till hes here!

ONE MORE WEEK TO GO WOOHOO!!!

Kate x

collin, which brands contain nut oils?
does it state on the container?

collin, which brands contain nut oils?
does it state on the container?

Now it wouldn't be right to quote the brand....but just as a refrence this is a question that maybe you all should be asking any new customers as is relevent :hug:

No it wasnt the sun!!! It was this new product I bought to try called UBER Tan. I did it three times at 6 months pregnant and I am due next week and there is a dark patch on my neck and patches of orange pigmentation on my arms.

I am gutted and only hope it goes in time! I was fine with the other two babies and I had spray tans and natural tans with them!

It would certainly make me warn any clients that are pregnant just in case it happens to them.

Its a good job I love my tans so I can cover my pigmented areas up - only now I will wait till hes here!

ONE MORE WEEK TO GO WOOHOO!!!

Kate x

Although I am not a product expert I am trained in spray tanning but I dont think that the tanning product would have caused this pigmentation. It may have made the darker patches more obvious but as the spray tan affects the top layers of skin only which do soon get exfoliated away then this reaction from a tanning solution would not be permanent.

I have skin pigmentation patches from hormonal problems, which I believe are triggered by hormones in pregnancy too and tanning solution does make them more obvious but is not the root cause of them.

I am aware that hormonal changes cause pigmentation, which increases your melanin production. However fake tans although only tanning the top layers of the epidermis by changing the amino acids in the dead cells, they can also increase melanin production further, especially if the product contains tyrosine.

Basically every tan is formulated differently, and no one person is the same and that one person can have different reactions to different things at different times in their life.

There is a high chance that the product I used is responsible for the pigmentation as the areas that have altered are not exposed to the sun.

However if they are coincidental, in the fact that I would have got these hyperpigmentation patches regardless of me having used fake tan or not, I am putting it down to that maybe through paranoia.

If I was a client and have no knowledge of skincare etc, I would also put it down to the tan. I am qualified and linking the two. If it was a client she may be liable to sue us for this, and who would the courts believe? It would take substantial scientific eveidence to prove otherwise.

It never hurts to be over cautious especially when in such a blame and claim society! From whats happened to me, I would now warn pregnant women, so at least they have the choice and take the risks themselves based on my knowledge.

Kate

Latest posts

Back