Does anyone doubt themselves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melia

Reaction score
Hiya
I've been hairdressing for 6 years but still doubt myself. Do you do the same? Why do we do this x

Hiya
I've been hairdressing for 6 years but still doubt myself. Do you do the same? Why do we do this x

I think the people who are good at what they do tend to be the one's who often doubt themselves the most.

The useless ones are the ones who are quick to tell you how great they are.

You've only got to look at X Factor and similar shows to see what I mean.

Jacqui xx

Meeee!!! I have just left the salon I've worked in And trained in and I have lost every bit of confidence and am dreading finding a new job :( it is horrible because I know I can do a great job but when I first stand infront of a client I'm filled with dread and when I'm finished and they are happy I feel stupid and over the moon they like it!!! X

Honestly my lovely, that tells me you are good.

Eveeeeeeeentually you will stop feeling like that.

But, the opposite end of this is complacency .. their are lots of complacent 'that'll do' therapists out there ... don't be one of those ok!!

Rather have a small attack of doubt and keep your edge rather than think you know everything and end up losing a little something.

Jacqui xx

Honestly my lovely, that tells me you are good.

Eveeeeeeeentually you will stop feeling like that.

But, the opposite end of this is complacency .. their are lots of complacent 'that'll do' therapists out there ... don't be one of those ok!!

Rather have a small attack of doubt and keep your edge rather than think you know everything and end up losing a little something.

Jacqui xx

:) yeh true thanx x

OMG!!!!!

I thought I was the only one who felt like this!!!

I still think that one day someone will expose me as some kind of fraud (even though ive been in and out of the industry for ages).

I quit my first good salon job years ago after getting a couple of difficult clients. I got to the point where when i knew i had a new client coming in i felt like throwing up before i saw them. Im always hyper critical of what i do and always beat myself up with anything i think i could have done different / better. I truly envy those stylists who are ultra confident in their abilities. Me, I wish i could believe in myself more. People around me tell me ive got talent, i just dont believe em :Scared:

Chris x

OMG!!!!!

I thought I was the only one who felt like this!!!

I still think that one day someone will expose me as some kind of fraud (even though ive been in and out of the industry for ages).

I quit my first good salon job years ago after getting a couple of difficult clients. I got to the point where when i knew i had a new client coming in i felt like throwing up before i saw them. Im always hyper critical of what i do and always beat myself up with anything i think i could have done different / better. I truly envy those stylists who are ultra confident in their abilities. Me, I wish i could believe in myself more. People around me tell me ive got talent, i just dont believe em :Scared:

Chris x

Lol exactly the same, it's horrible!!! X

Don't beat yourself up. Most of us have those days when we feel a bit inadequate. If you think that you are getting worse though, I'd personally recommend some hypnotherapy. A good hypnotherapist will really help to build your confidence and self esteem. There are other options but I'm just suggesting this from personal experience.

Doubting yourself shows that you care about doing a good job so don't let the fact that you care get you down! You'll probably find that many of the super-confident people doubt themselves from time to time too, they are just more practiced at hiding/ignoring it =)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using SalonGeek

me i am terrible , lol it drives me insane

the day i stop doubting myself is the day i quit..
their right it does show that you care...
i also drive myself insane and feel like i have some kind of OCD
im constantly thinking, how can i improve that, this etc... in my home life to..

i feel your pain chicken =] xxx

and im about to plan my wedding!!!!!!!!!!!! so i will be ripping my hair out soon...lol

Bridezilla coming everyone's way... lol

xxx

Me!! All the time :-(
I know my work isn't bad because people come back..,but also know it's not the best of the best if that makes sense?
I always think there is someone better out there (which there is without putting my self down).. So maybe I should think about the amateur people out there? But then the question is why do they seem to get clients when professionals are struggling?
I also get really down about it when I've not got a lot work booked in but I guess it's how this business goes?
Chin up chick.. It must be a natural thing for the ones that care about their job/work
Hopefully after many years the feeling will go away? :)

I am exactly the same always picking at what I do and finding fault where there is none I thought I was the only one but now I know I'm part of a group of good but don't know it types
Great thread
Cat xxx

I've been hairdressing 17 years and still have the odd moment of doubt. Always unfounded though! It's deffo better than being complacent.

all the time and with every new client i feel sick and trembly and always expect a call back during the next week to tell me they're not happy or something, even when they say they like it. did start to think if i'm in the right profession for a while but getting councilling nw to help boost my self esteem:D

Im glad i have come across this topic because i am the same i work in a barber shop and i feel sick when i have to go there and i shake from head to toe doing the first client god its horrible isnt it eekk i gave up doing gel nails because of this feeling i just cudnt take it anymore lol xx

I am the same has the lot of you. Always feel my best is not good enough. Always thinking what I'm doing is it right is it suppose to be done this way, what if something goes wrong. How will I do that. I am perfectionist want everything right... But my works not perfect, I don't think it is, will I ever lol. I want to go on every training course going to find my mojo...
I don't work in a salon I'm mobile, I want to work in a salon now so I can learn from others...

Lol exactly the same, it's horrible!!! X

I always feel like another another hairdresser might question my work and I can't answer but I must know what I'm doing lol

I always feel like another another hairdresser might question my work and I can't answer but I must know what I'm doing lol

Same I panic that they will meet another hairdresser and they will say it's rubbish :( x

I am so bad for doing this! I get one unhappy customer and thats it, I want to give up lol!! I never do though, and my partner always says, its one person out of how many.. I have trained myself to ignore what others say as well, I do hair extensions and constantly get the "Not trained in hairdressing, she will be rubbish" malarky from people but I have built up a good rep now and even hairdressers are coming to me! I am quiet and dont like confrontation/bitching which put me off going in to this industry for so long but working by myself and a good tactic of ignorance has worked well for me (along with meeting a lot of lovely people in the industry that have helped me along the way). But like others have said, its only showing that you are caring and passionate about what you are doing :)

Latest posts

Back