Does anyone doubt themselves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so bad for doing this! I get one unhappy customer and thats it, I want to give up lol!! I never do though, and my partner always says, its one person out of how many.. I have trained myself to ignore what others say as well, I do hair extensions and constantly get the "Not trained in hairdressing, she will be rubbish" malarky from people but I have built up a good rep now and even hairdressers are coming to me! I am quiet and dont like confrontation/bitching which put me off going in to this industry for so long but working by myself and a good tactic of ignorance has worked well for me (along with meeting a lot of lovely people in the industry that have helped me along the way). But like others have said, its only showing that you are caring and passionate about what you are doing :)

Lol i am like this if i think 1 customer is unhappy thats it i come home and say to my hubby I AM NEVER GOING THERE AGAIN ( but i always go back lol xx

i do this im constantly doubting myself,but all my clients love there hair. its a really nice feeling to have a client walking out the salon feeling a million dollars compared to when they came in. it makes my day :)

Lol i am like this if i think 1 customer is unhappy thats it i come home and say to my hubby I AM NEVER GOING THERE AGAIN ( but i always go back lol xx

Lol it's so good to know I'm not alone with this I am exactly the same hehe x

Arh Guys so feeling the love here just joined this site and i think it,s great,

I,m also having a confidence wobble as i,m 38 and have changed career path completed my nvq 2 and this year doing nvq 3, Just can,t believe there is sooo much to learn, My turtors have said i,m really good which makes me feel confident but then as soon as i do a cut and i struggle i just think what am i doing s this right for me. I no i,m out of my confort zone just hope one day i will have enough skills and confidence to do well.
:irked:

me all the time lol but when I trained at college for various thing always found the one that were worse than always thought they were fab x Just look at x factor the good ones worry and the awfull ones think they are great lol

I do it in work and personal life, I'm a perfectionist and pick holes in everything I do, on the flipside I am very confident (split personality much! lol) so usually shrug it off, but lately been sooo quiet with work I am seriously doubting I have any abilities! glad to know I'm not the only doubter lol xx

I think i know my faults, weaknesses and strengths and im quietly working on them, i used to get all panicky if something wasn't taking on the right form, lol but that seemed to only make me worse, so now if something isnt going the way it should i put my blinkers on, head down and focus, and if its someone who doesnt know me and starts maybe gesturing 'thats not a good look, lol' i ignore and switch off from any slights like there is no-one there, just me and the task in hand, this works for me.
I remember i used to spend more time worrying about what she was thinking than i was on what i was doing, bad to worse that was.

Binglebongle, yeah hypnotherapy is brilliant, ive been hypnotised alot of times, my dad and my grandfather did hypnosis and i used to hypnotise myself, lol

I have been hairdressing now for 35 years. I understand all your anxieties regarding pleasing clients. However, I tell all my staff that as long as you always do everything properly and dont cut corners, listen to what the client wants, give good advice back regarding their hair type, face shape ect, if they are not happy you can sleep at night knowing that they probably want something they cannot have. I do think it helps to be conscientious, but don,t be oversensitive. Some people have no idea what they want or what suits them and no matter what you do and how nice YOU think they look. They will NEVER be happy.

yep i always doubt myself- with colours i tend to go with my first thought otherwise i can be there dithering lol

I am the same has the lot of you. Always feel my best is not good enough. Always thinking what I'm doing is it right is it suppose to be done this way, what if something goes wrong. How will I do that. I am perfectionist want everything right... But my works not perfect, I don't think it is, will I ever lol. I want to go on every training course going to find my mojo...
I don't work in a salon I'm mobile, I want to work in a salon now so I can learn from others...

I'm the same!! I have just gone mobile after leaving the salon where I worked and now I'm on my own and have nobody to bounce ideas off I get really nervous doing new clients or any drastic changes. Want to go on every training course possible but can't afford it, and if I see something that I'm slightly unhappy with (even though the customer loves it and always comes back) I beat myself up about it for the rest of the day! I think we all just expect too much of ourselves. Nobody's perfect but at least we care enough to try to do a perfect job x

I love this thread, I've been hairdressing for 18 years and i still think I'm rubbish lol, i worked in a salon for 11years moved up to manger, I've been mobile for 7 years and I'm busy,but i still think I'm going to be found out as a massive fraud and I'm amazed I've not been hauled in for impersonating a hairdresser, :lol:

I've just come onto this forum to say the exact same thing! I have just recently qualified - age 49, left the salon where I worked voluntarily for a year and started doing some mobile work with family and friends but OMG I feel exactly the same. I get terrified when someone asks me to cut their hair! I feel physically sick during the process and find my hand shaking when cutting! :Scared:
The college where I qualified was absolutely hopeless! The tutor was hardly in the salon and we all felt as though we taught ourselves (calling on eachother for help)! When a client came in for a hair cut, he would butt in almost immediately and take over the cut! I felt I had to fight him to let me do it myself!
I did learn a lot in the salon but it was mostly just watching.
I am seriously thinking of getting some councelling!

I love this thread, I've been hairdressing for 18 years and i still think I'm rubbish lol, i worked in a salon for 11years moved up to manger, I've been mobile for 7 years and I'm busy,but i still think I'm going to be found out as a massive fraud and I'm amazed I've not been hauled in for impersonating a hairdresser, :lol:

Ha ha this made me smile, I think we all feel the same. I'm more nervous now that i'm mobile but I love Hairdressing and the nerves drive me to do better every time.

Always!

I've just had a phone call this morning about a girl who had extensions fitted yesterday and she's gone and washed her hair and the extensions with silver shampoo and they have turned, grey/purple!

I've actually just sat and cried my eyes out about this, even though I know it's not my fault, at the fact that I feel as though it's my fault, she's got press for her business this afternoon and I have to go to my full time job which meant I can't fix them!

I always doubt myself! Doing it right now!

In this great Industry, you are ALWAYS learning , however long youve been at it. I personally have been "at it" for the last 18 years with 6 of those doing Glue Fusion Extensions & still love making my bods look lovely.. Sure you get the odd head where you think OMG! but somehow , after moving the hair about etc , youll see a style lurking, it does happen if you have the passion. This trade cannot be carried out without Passion, as thats what drives a stylist forward to greater things, Cuts get better, Colours too, extension work..its all practise practise, the more you do the better you become!! & always never think your so good that you wont take on board constructive critism or adice from "those who know better", the wise owls of our industry. My nickname when i trained was "The Bob Queen" & i still LOVE doing em all these years later , I even mastered the graduated bob on myself now after the last 4 cuts so now dont have to go n sit infront of a hairdresser who asks ME how to cut my own hair...I know it cant be perfect but I am asked to do the same on clients so it cant be that bad....KEEP CUTTING girls, you can only get better!!...x :biggrin:

Always!

I've just had a phone call this morning about a girl who had extensions fitted yesterday and she's gone and washed her hair and the extensions with silver shampoo and they have turned, grey/purple!

I've actually just sat and cried my eyes out about this, even though I know it's not my fault, at the fact that I feel as though it's my fault, she's got press for her business this afternoon and I have to go to my full time job which meant I can't fix them!

I always doubt myself! Doing it right now!

If you gave her aftercare instructions as i do, a full A4 sheet of what you can & cant do, then you have no worries as she has done this off her own back. When i consult my clients i almost put them off with the pros & cons & if after that they are still keen to look after them as ive told them, plus made them sign the same , then the onus is on them... Unfortunately you do get the odd "I know how to look after them , but dont" client, but again you should not lose heart if youve followed the Extension Rules. I cover my back with loads of info every time i do an install...it never fails...good luck..x

There is a difference between self confidence and arrogance. You have to believe in yourself and the best way is to constantly and consistently educate yourself - set learning goals each year rather than new year resolutions and really focus on what you have to do to improve your self belief.

I do agree with the comments about arrogance - so many people think they know it all and that is the end - excellence is a journey not a destination!

Latest posts

Back