does anyone else have to do their own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails2nV

Reaction score
Hi all! ;)

Im new here, i registered on this site a couple of days ago and all ive been doing is reading all the great goss so i thought it was about time i joined in too!
Does anyone else have to do there own nails?
I HATE doing my own nails! I have gel on my nails and they take me so long to do, its a pain in the arse!
I work on my own (mobile) and have no one else to do my nails but myself. Ahh poor me! They get in such a mess anyway while doing other peoples nails and i l can never do them when they need doing coz i just dont have the time as it takes me 2-3 hours to do my own! Nightmare! They are in such a mess right now they disgust me to look at them, god knows what my clients think! Im forever appoligising for the state there in!
It also becomes the last thing i wanna do at the end of a long day! Dont get me wrong, i love doing nails for a living but having to do my own is a pet hate!!
Anyone else share my pain?!:irked:

ahhh you poor thing

what gel do you use

i would do them for you if you were closer and i used what you used

i know what you mean its difficult to keep up with your own nails when you are so busy with everyone elses

its half term this week and im having a week off and ive done one hand lol and will get round to the other before the end of the week

take care

hiya and welcome to the site xxx

i think most of us do our own...and yes i agree finding the time is a pain...you need to hook up with another geek that lives near you so you can do each others...with a bottle of wine of course....lol xxx

hi and welcome to the site, there's loads of info for you to get your teeth into.
how long have you been a nail tech? the reason of asking is that I've found my nails get easier every time I do them, it's a practise thing.
xx

Ah thanks tracey, nice thought, wish you could do them for me!

I use IBD gel, its fab stuff and ive just done my IBD acc course which i love too! Done training with Lisa Humphreys at RED ICE 9, shes a brill trainer!

What does you use?

I use Brisa and also Bio Sculpture but there are other IDB users on the site and im sure that they will respond to the thread

welcome to the site, it is a site of knowledge !!!!!

Yeah i should really hook up with another local tech, does anyone else do that?

I have been doing nails for 3 years now (gel) but it doesnt get any easier doin my own yet!!

nails2nV said:
Yeah i should really hook up with another local tech, does anyone else do that?

I have been doing nails for 3 years now (gel) but it doesnt get any easier doin my own yet!!

yeah me and minkus (amber) do each others nails sometimes and its a nice treat. xx

Cool stuff

this is site is wicked i now have other nail techs to winge to instead of just myself to moan too!

Thanks peeps!!

:p yay!

x x

i am in total agreement with you, you wrote my thoughts exactly.
i despise doing my nails, but dont think i would like any one else to do them either, coz i just want them the way i can do them on other people.

yes i totally agree hun!
i would like to ask another tech but i want them done the way i do them i suppose. Plus wouldn't it be a bit weird asking another tech in your area to do your nails?
I do know of a few other mobile techs in my area but it just seems weird, u know what i mean?

I agree with you, doing your own nails is hard work. I can't justify doing them during the day, when I should be busy doing other things. I always end up doing them of an evening, and it is often the last thing that I want to do. However I decided when I started out that I would always have beautiful nails (as beautiful as I can get them!) when doing clients. I feel that I advertise what I do, as a nail tech how would I explain unkept nails??? I guess for me its the whole thing for example would you want a hairdresser to cut your hair if theirs had 2 inch roots and split ends????? And don't we always expect beauticians to be looking glam at all times???

Just my opinion though Hun :hug: :hug:

Yes i totally understand what you are saying, but i spend so much of my time perfecting other peoples nails mine really do suffer!
I do hate it when they need doin coz as you say its all about advertising urself.
Its hard on my own sometimes, if i worked in a salon then obviously i would have them done all the time by other techs!
You are so right though and i hate that! he he!

nails2nV said:
Yes i totally understand what you are saying, but i spend so much of my time perfecting other peoples nails mine really do suffer!
I do hate it when they need doin coz as you say its all about advertising urself.
Its hard on my own sometimes, if i worked in a salon then obviously i would have them done all the time by other techs!
You are so right though and i hate that! he he!

I am in Rayleigh which isn't that far from you, but i have to say i don't use IBD, i personally didn't get on with it when i tried it a while back. I use Pronails gel and love it. I make myself do my nails all the time so i know that what my clients see is what i can do. I am also mobile and understand completely that when you have been doing nails on others, its hard to get up the enthusiasm to do your own.

You'll have to get together with some of us south east geeks for a meet up and we can all chew the legs off a donkey about nails. You say you'd like someone to do yours but would someone else do them the way you want them done. I'll happily do yours if you want me to using your products, i may need a little practise though.

Entirely up to you, but we can always meet up and just chat nails.

I have been doing nails for 12 months now... and I have always done my own appart from once when I got another geek to do them and they were great, but she lived too far away for the upkeep.

The first few times they were pants .. but now I feel they are as good as I do for clients, I love the way I can get my hand in just the right position to apply the product and see exactly what I am doing. With clients I find they are not as 'pliable' as I would like LOL! I tend to do l&p on my own but I have done Brisa overlays once and a full set of p&w brisa. I still prefer the l&p though with a gel topcoat.

I have not had many willing friends to help me out over this training period, so its been a case of needs must!

It takes me approximately 1 hour 45 mins to do my own set now.

Ahh, i see what you mean, i can take up to 4 hours doing myne if it is a forever french. I wish i had a fellow geek i could hook up with. I would be very nice to get pampered and to sawps some tips on nails.

I think its a great idea to get a nail tech near you to do yours and you do her's or his.
With ONE bottle of wine (not too much, drunk in charge of another nail tech Nooooooooo) wouldnt do much for the finished result ha ha ha.
Sherry

This is the thread ive been waiting for xx:biggrin:

Ok im a L&P wearer, and decided it was time to start wearing enhancements again!! Have been off for about 12 months due to the buba.

So i go to where i used to work and PAY to have them done as i despise doing my own nails!!! So paid for them and within hours there lifitng, then by day 6 two off!! Day 8 3 off. So i book myself an rebalance appt. The girl doing them doesnt take all lifting L&P off, prime place for a nice fungal infection to get in THANKS!!!! But didnt notice it till i left!! Again by the end of the day theres lifting!!! GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH:Scared: !!! I admit im a picker and i need a 7-10 day refill, but this is taking the mick!!!

So i decided, im not paying for someone else who personally in my view is not up to the standard i expect from a trained nail tech!! Im going to have to do them myself. SO i soaked (well ok picked some) whats left off the full set off and decided to start again!!

I did my left hand on the monday and then pysched myself up for the right hand to do on tuesday!! So i eventually got them all done!! Short but done. Then a quiet time @ work and decided to add length to them as i was goin out on the town. Which Ive never done before. They came out lovely & did my own 1st refill last night.

So i now can do my own nails!! But that doesnt mean if theres a Creative Tech near me i dont want them to PM me to arrange meetin up x

Have to admit doing my own nails has given me more confidence in my sculptures!! Id feel confident enough to do them on a client now!! So it wasnt all bad!

SORRY to rant on, but ive really needed to get that off my chest xxx

Thanks Geeks 4 listening xx

I must admit i do hate doing my nails an no matter how hard i try
i cant keep a set on for very long because they go out of shape with me filing, my tend to go into a point on my peter pointer finger an my thumb...

ive even tried wearing surgical gloves but it still happens pus i find them hard to work in.......

i have been to a couple of places to have them done
but hated handing over the money when sometimes i could have done a better job myself......... plus i never tell them that i do nails an i sit there dying to pick faults with what they have done wrong
i.e santization, incorrect filling etc

so here i am tonight with no nails on again
mine are short nails never seem to grow nice hence why i went into nails

i cant keep a gel overlay on because that doesnt seem to last 5 mins with me.

by the way i use ibd an i find the builder layer a problem for me on my opposite hand......... do you do stringing with your gel ???

my teacher was Sam Watkinson who i believe was judging at gmex
nice girl taught me all i know

had a few mistakes in that post as always

just worked out i can go back an edit it 'excellent'

learn something new every day !

Latest posts

Back