Doing a French?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janeyloop

Reaction score
hi geeks, I am recently qualified(June) and am going mobile with a steady stream of clients so far. I am due to do a client next week and she is requiring a French . I have never done one on a client , only practised on tips . Am really worried.....any good tips please? It's applying the White am concerned about! ...try in advance xx

Hi Janeyloop, I know how nerve wracking applying a french can be. Which products will you be using?

Hi Janeyloop, I know how nerve wracking applying a french can be. Which products will you be using?
Hi deanosnana, thanks for replying. I am using gellux products pink champagne and the white as have limited colours at the minute x

Try to keep the white SUPER thin I have found French in gel polish prone to chipping due to it being a bit thicker. Follow the smile line of the clients actual nail and that will make it a lot easier. Remember when you press on it your brush gives a flat edge so if you need something flat use the end of it. Hth x

Thanks for the advice mrsbb2013 . Will do that ! Xx

French is my least favourite thing to do, i always find it so nerve wrecking but i'm sure it'll get easier over time! :D

I found that following my clients natural smile line made it easier, but i also started using a brush with a slight angle and that helps too! The best thing about gel is that if you mess up on your first layer before curing you have plenty of time to tidy it up :)

I use gellux and love doing French. Thin coat of white, good cap of the free edge, don't worry if you get a bit messy just remove any excess with orange stick before curing. Sometimes I'll do two coats of white if they want bright French depending on how thick you've applied it. You'll be fine, confidence is key xx

French is always a tricky one but I love doing a French polish with gel. Personally I back sweep...I like deep smile lines when possible rather than straight across the nails, so I apply base and cure, then apply the white pretty much 1/2 way up the nail, I then use a square gel brush to back sweep the smile line until I am happy, cure and then top with a pink/blush and top coat. Hope that helps. Xx

When I first started using gel polish, I would apply the base coat, cure, then apply the white as neat as possible, then clean up the smile line with a small angled brush dipped in alcohol (dab the excess alcohol off on a towelette) then cure. This method may take a little extra time, but it helps you perfect your smile line. I haven't had to do it that way in probably 4 years.

I also back sweep on the white with a french brush or a small pointy brush dipped in alcohol.

Thanks for advice fellow geeks , helped immensely xxx

Latest posts

Back