Doing beauty as a career change? what did you used to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Hi there,

It is only recently that I've realised I want to work as a beauty therapist and I'm taking an nvq2 in beauty with the carlton institute and city and guilds level 2 in skin care and makeup at a local college.

I am 22 and basically, here's a short version of how I came to this decision.

*I am currently doing a postgraduate degree but after struggling to find work after my last degree (both in performing arts) I figured that I actually need a skill: something I can do rather than something that I can teach.
*So I found work in sales (unrelated to makeup and beauty) and undertook the skin care and makeup course with the view to being able to move onto working on a makeup counter. I've always enjoyed doing makeup and it was something that I felt I should get a qualification for in order to reflect that.
*As I continue at college, the more I provide treatments such as the mini facial pre makeup, it made me think "hey, I could very happily do this for a living. I like making people feel relaxed/comfortable/good. I enjoy the physical process of what I'm doing and I like how the role allows me to be sociable"
*So after looking around for an nvq that I I could do in beauty whilst studying at uni and working part time, I found the carlon institute online and started my nvq2 with them last week. I am hoping to complete the qualification by the end of July (ambitious but it's based on a few personal circumstances etc).

So yeah, there's my story. Like I'm so excited that I've only realised what I would like to do now that I've grown up a bit and had more life experience. I'm amazed at how subtelly the realisation that this really could be the career path for me has come along.

So yeah, I guess I just wanted to share my story with yas and ask you guys how you came to the decision that you wanted a career in beauty after not training to work in that field initially. I'm interested to know just out of curiosity really. It would also inspire me I guess to hear about the progress of others who started their beauty career as a means of career change :)

Over to you :)

Laura :)xx

Im not much further ahead in my career then you really but mine began.....

I left school and against my will joined their 6th form, hated it and the subjects i was learning so i dropped out being quite behind on a lot of work after about 6 months and moved to a different area.
I enrolled in a local college there (it was my previous location that meant my parents wanted me to go 6th form for convenience) and did a 2 year national diploma in performing arts (like yourself) finishing with a high merit. I then was unsure about what career path i wanted to follow from here so on the advice of my careers officer applied to university to do a mental health nursing degree :eek:
After actually getting a few offers for uni i realised this was nowhere near what i wanted to do and also met my now fiance. I didnt take up a place at university but didnt know where i wanted to do so landed in a job in a call center. I HATED this and spent a year doing it before getting a job in a nursery as a trainee nursery nurse, i didnt love it but just sort of went along with it. Whilst here i did an nvq2 in childcare, learning and development but after a year and a half in this job fell pregnant with my son.
Whilst on maternity leave my sister in law noticed my own french painted nails and asked if i'd do hers instead of her going to the salon. I enjoyed it so started doing it for her for fun weekly.
As the end of my maternity leave approached i dreaded going back to work and was looking at courses i could take to get into a different job, i saw the nail tech course at my local college and was interested as i was enjoying nails, but to do it you needed to hold a basic manicure qualification. So i looked into doing that, but decided if i took the manicure course id still have to wait for the following years enrolment onto the nail course so thought i might as well do the full beauty level 2 rather then a part of it while i waited.
So i completed the level 2 around my nursery job and loved it. I took a course in spraytanning near the end of my level 2 to earn a bit of extra cash too.
By the time i'd started looking for nail courses i'd seen some work from people at the college doing the course there and wasnt that impressed, i also didnt like the idea of doing another years course only to still be a bit rubbish at the end.
Whist still looking for nail courses i was also looking for equipment to do beauty mobile once i was qualified and stumbled accross this site in my search.
This site led me to my CND course, which i loved.
I carried on working mobile and practicing around my nursery job and by now 2 year old boy whilst looking for a salon job to really get into the business.
All that payed off this month and i've finally handed in my notice at the nursery and have a job in a salon.
My treatments are not always perfect and i have lots more training ahead of me (much to my bank cards dismay!) but i love learning and i love being in a job where that can really be embraced and used. Although im arriving at the bottom, i have finally 'arrived' in the industry!
Enough of my waffle! :biggrin:
Good luck to you and i hope things go well for you :biggrin:

Its really lovely that you're feeling passionate and that you know that you've finally found what it is you are meant to be doing :)
Inspiring

I came to the beauty industry quite late really. I was 27. I always had an interest in the industry, and had taken an acrylic nail extensions course and a massage course while working in my job as a Financial Advisor. Sadly, when I had my career talk at school as I was leaving, and expressed an interest in training in beauty, the Head told me that "beauty was for girls who dont have a brain" (I was considered quite bright) and totaly dismissed it, and stupidly I listened!!!! When I had my first son, I knew I wanted to be a hands on mum, which meant I couldnt go back to my demanding, stressful, (although very well paid, lol) city job! I decided to train at a Beauty Academy in beauty therapy. Its a decision I am eternally grateful I took! I love my job, the industry, and everything that goes with it. Now my sons are older I probably do longer hours now than I did in the city, but I love it, and working from home means I am still always around for my boys. I really do feel I have the best of both worlds!

Sorry if this is super long!

I too am arriving fairly late to this industry..I'm 28 on Tuesday!

I left school when i was 18 but to be honest, the only reason i stayed on until the end was because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. I had always been pretty good at art, so at my art teacher's & parent's suggestion i went and studied Fine Art at college. I did this for 2 years before deciding it wasn't for me and left. I went into full time work after that, working as a barmaid at the local boozer.

Since a young age I had always been interested in Beauty products & would (and still do) devour beauty sections in magazines and quite happily spend hours wandering around beauty halls in department stores. At home I would concoct my own lotions & potions & create crazy looks with makeup (ventriloquist dolls, geisha's & Cleopatra looks amongst others!) I always say i blame Dolly Parton for my interest in this area...i totally wanted to be Trudy in Steel Magnolias!

Anyway, after working for 3 years i decided to go back to college and study Complimentary Therapy. For a year i learned about massage, aromatherapy, reflexology, nutrition, anatomy etc... But unfortunately i was also suffering from depression, so i didn't complete the course in full so didn't gain the award.

After this i went back to work as a barmaid, then switched jobs & became a benefits adviser for the government. I was trundling along in this job fine, but the depression was always in the background. Finally in 2007 the pressure of the job got too much for me & i had a breakdown. Was put on Anti-depressants & remained off work for 7/8 months. I went back to work once i was ready, but then 6 months later i fell ill and was signed off work again for 4 months. During this time i was diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia and it knocked me for 6. My health went downhill rapidly and i started panicking. I'd spent my life so far doing what was expected of me by other people & stuck in dead end jobs. So I decided to do what i wanted before i got too ill to do anything & applied to do Beauty Therapy at college!

I'm nearing the end of my first year & have applied to enter 2nd year in the Autumn. Over the summer break i'm hoping to do the CND Nail Foundation Course, either a Sienna-X or LA Tanning course and MINX nail training!

I'm unsure yet what i want to do when college is over. With my health being the way it is, i struggle to work 5 full days a week, so i think i might go self employed for a while & see how that pans out!

This was longer than i intended...sorry!!

when I had my career talk at school as I was leaving, and expressed an interest in training in beauty, the Head told me that "beauty was for girls who dont have a brain" (I was considered quite bright) and totaly dismissed it, and stupidly I listened!!!!!

I can fully identify with this! I hate how some careers advisors and others of a potentially advisory position tell young people (very wrongly but in my experience) that either a) "you're too smart to go into beauty or b) "I know you haven't expressed an interest in it but since you struggle academically, why don't you go and do beauty because that's managable"...so yeah, I think beauty is a very underated and under promoted career path for young people to consider

Sorry if this is super long!

This was longer than i intended...sorry!!

don't apologise, it was an inspiring read :)

I am spending my day today doing what is expected of me whereby I'm writing an essay for the postgraduate course I'm doing at uni and determined to finish (It might come in handy later and the money I've paid to do it means that I must complete the course, anything other than this would be tres foolish) but yeah, I'd far rather be doing some waxing or painting my nails!

I'm finding the learning curve of beauty contageous whereby I want to do a nail specific course one day too :)

Im not much further ahead in my career then you really but mine began.....

I left school and against my will joined their 6th form, hated it and the subjects i was learning so i dropped out being quite behind on a lot of work after about 6 months and moved to a different area.
I enrolled in a local college there (it was my previous location that meant my parents wanted me to go 6th form for convenience) and did a 2 year national diploma in performing arts (like yourself) finishing with a high merit. I then was unsure about what career path i wanted to follow from here so on the advice of my careers officer applied to university to do a mental health nursing degree :eek:
After actually getting a few offers for uni i realised this was nowhere near what i wanted to do and also met my now fiance. I didnt take up a place at university but didnt know where i wanted to do so landed in a job in a call center. I HATED this and spent a year doing it before getting a job in a nursery as a trainee nursery nurse, i didnt love it but just sort of went along with it. Whilst here i did an nvq2 in childcare, learning and development but after a year and a half in this job fell pregnant with my son.
Whilst on maternity leave my sister in law noticed my own french painted nails and asked if i'd do hers instead of her going to the salon. I enjoyed it so started doing it for her for fun weekly.
As the end of my maternity leave approached i dreaded going back to work and was looking at courses i could take to get into a different job, i saw the nail tech course at my local college and was interested as i was enjoying nails, but to do it you needed to hold a basic manicure qualification. So i looked into doing that, but decided if i took the manicure course id still have to wait for the following years enrolment onto the nail course so thought i might as well do the full beauty level 2 rather then a part of it while i waited.
So i completed the level 2 around my nursery job and loved it. I took a course in spraytanning near the end of my level 2 to earn a bit of extra cash too.
By the time i'd started looking for nail courses i'd seen some work from people at the college doing the course there and wasnt that impressed, i also didnt like the idea of doing another years course only to still be a bit rubbish at the end.
Whist still looking for nail courses i was also looking for equipment to do beauty mobile once i was qualified and stumbled accross this site in my search.
This site led me to my CND course, which i loved.
I carried on working mobile and practicing around my nursery job and by now 2 year old boy whilst looking for a salon job to really get into the business.
All that payed off this month and i've finally handed in my notice at the nursery and have a job in a salon.
My treatments are not always perfect and i have lots more training ahead of me (much to my bank cards dismay!) but i love learning and i love being in a job where that can really be embraced and used. Although im arriving at the bottom, i have finally 'arrived' in the industry!
Enough of my waffle! :biggrin:
Good luck to you and i hope things go well for you :biggrin:

I'm glad to hear about all the courses that can be done whilst working full time because it inspires me that training whilst needing to work full time is doable :)

Ohh ladies I have you all beat. I'm 34 and have just signed on to the CND course. I have my Bachelor's in Marketing/Public Relations and worked in the insurance industry for five years. The funny thing about all of this is, I didn't even start wearing makeup until about 2 or 3 years ago. But there is something almost indescribable about how one feels after a salon visit, criminy I felt like I was on air after leaving the brow bar the other day, I want to give that to every woman (OR MAN LOL) that walks through my door. I'm starting with nails and moving into other areas after that. The market is pretty saturated, but offering quality services will make us stand out. I floated through my twenties in and out of university, never knowing what I really wanted to do. Sometimes it takes a little more time, but when I grew up the lightbulb finally came on. Best of luck to you in the future!

Well, I'm 50 this month. I left school without any qualifications. I always wanted to work in an office, but without qualifications I couldn't. I worked as a waitress for a few years, then worked as a domestic for a few years. Then worked as a sales assistant until I had my son at the age of 32. I wanted to stay at home with him, and was lucky enough to take voluntary redundancy while on maternity leave.

My husband was just starting up painting and decorating business, and I helped him with the admin side of it. I enrolled on a one day a week computer and word processing course, gained a qualification, and got a job as a part time admin clerk in an estate agents. I loved that and was very happy. I particularly enjoyed the computer and technology side of it.

I continued to help my husband run his now growing business, and decided to leave my admin job to concentrate on helping with the business. I then felt I didn't want to be at home all the time, and missed working with people, so took on a temporary full time role in a magistrates court as an admin clerk, they wanted me to stay on, but I found the full time hours were not suitable for me, and I was finding it hard to run home, and run admin side of husbands business.

I left and found a job in a solicitors as a secretary to a criminal, divorce lawyer for two days a week. I did this for two years, and became bored with typing all day. I felt I wanted to do something where I could help, and be involved with the public, as I was good on a face to face customer service. So I left that job just over a year ago.

After a year at home continuing to run admin side of husbands business, and wondering what I could do that would let me have my own hours, and work from home, when I saw a friends status on Facebook asking if someone knew of a salon with a room to rent for her Beauty treatment. I wondered why she couldn't work from home, and realised that she obviously didnt have the room.

I then thought what could I do from home, as we have a spare room, and suddenly thought I could do nails. I had been having my own done for two years by a mobile nail tech, but had never ever thought of doing it myself, until January this year. That very day I saw the friends status, I looked on the net for courses available. The college had two year Beauty, and Nail course, full time, but didn't want to go to college full time for two years. I remembered my nail tech saying she did a course with a local salon, and thats how she started. I was one her first customers after she had obtained her certificate.

I rang the salon she did her course with, and they had a course starting on the same weekend, and had a place available. So, here I am absolutely loving doing nails, I am a Nail Geek, and love soaking up all the info on here.

I can still run husbands business, and fit in my nail business in between, with me dictating when I work. I love the social side of it, and have made lots of new friends. My life has completely changed!! The feeling I get when a client sees her nails after I have finished, is amazing. I love transforming their nails. A few of them have mentioned that they have only ever had tip overlays, and that since coming to me, their nails have grown to a length were they don't need tips any more, and I can do pink and whites over their own length nails, and can't believe there is no need to soak off, cut down their nails and apply tips every month, as their last tech was doing.

For me my life is starting at 50, and I absolutely love it!! :)

Good grief, you lot make me feel old:irked::D
I was an army wife, then a corporate wife, when the kids got older I started work with the Belgium RSPCA (WAVADA) it was unpaid but I got some fab training in animal retraining, after 4 years of that I got a job as the service co ordinator for Europe, for a Canadian electronic pre press company, I carried on with WAVADA on a part time basis for another 2 years and worked for the Canadians, in Belgium for a total of 6 years and then in England for another 3 years.
I finally had enough and wanted a job that I could forget as soon as I walked out the door. So I got a job as a bus driver, then a taxi driver and at the age of 42 trained with CND in L&P, Mani and Pedi. I'll be 47 this year and I can't say it's been easy, I carried on with taxi driving part time, then went back to bus driving while contiuing to add to my beauty skills but this is the year I am going full time with beauty.
I love it but being able to make the jump away from a garentteed income has been the hard bit, but the kids are grown and mostly independent so now I can be a bit selfish and do what I want ;)

I am 50 yext year (help!). I was a PA for most of my working life - 10 years with the education department in Glasgow then moved to London where I was 6 years with a property company, 10 years with Reuters and 6 months part-time with legal company whilst I made my transition to self-employed nail technician.

I ran a very successful nail bar in a tanning shop where I rented space for a couple of years, worked at the Urban Retreat in Harrods and then I moved to the Midlands where I rented space again in a hair salon in Hereford. I found that relying just on my nail skills in Hereford was a lot more difficult than it was in London where I had a waiting list of clients. Building my healthy client base in Hereford was a lot harder than it was in London/Essex.

For the last two years, I have been studying Beauty at college (Mondays and Tuesdays) and will finish my Level 3 NVQ in a couple of months - yippeee! I also opened my own small salon late last year in Malvern which is going fab and I now have a full book (Wednesdays to Saturdays). It has been a real hard slog but good things don't come easy and you get out what you put in. I love what I do but wish I had realised years ago how easy it was to retrain - hard work but easy to do if you have the passion.:Love:

I was 31 when I started in the industry, after a career in banking / office management etc. I'd always had an interest, and have a hairdresser for a sister, so when redundnacy came along I signed up for NVQ Beauty Therapy, and then followed the nail route.
I've only just 'kept my hand in' and still worked in an office environment, but as times ticking on (and I aint getting younger!!) I've decided to go at it full tilt.
I love doing it, and what's better than actually enjoying what you do for a living, instead of dreading getting to the office?
I've just done a lash extension course, and am really enjoying those too.
I read earlier people were discouraged from entering the industry at school, and I can say the same, I was EXPECTED to go to Uni and 'Do Well for Myself'. I wish I'd ignored them and done it earlier...
I'm going self employed as a therapist, together with my Hairdresser Sister, and a friend who's a Holistic Therapist, and can honestly say I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Jx

The good thing about beauty is you can start at any age!!! I'm 25 and I'm nearing the end of my first year at college and loving every minute of it. Yeah it's hard work but I've applied to do my HNC in the autumn. I went to college the first time round at 17 to do Vet Nursing, finished the course but hated it so turned 18 and went into full time work working as a bar maid. I worked my way up through different hotels until I reached being a manager of a hotel in Edinburgh at the age of 22. I enjoyed but missed my family so me and my fiancee came back home, I then worked as a data entry clerk for a class company (which I hated) but I then I started getting into makeup and nails etc, but felt I couldnt go back to college because I wouldnt earn the same if I was at college, anyway I kept at my job then 2008 came!!! Lost grandad in Jan very suddenly aged 65 then 6 months later my gran passed to cancer aged 62, before gran passed Graham and I set our date for our wedding for November hoping gran would make it but when we found out how bad it was we knew she wouldnt, but we went ahead anyway. Then 2 month before the wedding I found out I was pregnant! Had a rough time with it, in and out of hospital due to continous spotting but the wedding came and went. Spotted heavily again on honeymoon and came back to get a scan to find out I had lost the baby. I was still working for the glass company and said I wouldnt be back till after xmas. So new year came and I went back to work 2 days into work I'm called into the office and I was made redundant!! So after a few weeks of mulling around I decided that I wanted to turn everything that had happened into something possible and applied to do beauty and havent looked back since!! Yeah I've found it hard juggling part time work, full time college and being a housewife but I wouldnt change it for the world!!!! And fingers crossed I get into next year :) I would advise anyone who has the passion to do to just go for it!! I wish I had done years ago!

hey Im 42 and i start my course at the carlton institute on friday nvq2/ihbc. I am so glad there are other oldies out there who have decided to do a career change. I am an accountant and after working for my brother for years running his central heating business, i decided i needed to do something different and i have always wanted to do something like this but never had the guts to go for it!!!!

so fingers crossed ive made the right decision, i must admit it is so nice to have a website like this as you can see that there are other people out there like me!!!

Good luck with your course......:Love:

Well girls i am really pleased to read that you all enjoy Beauty Therapy and are making the change from a dull unrewarding career to a career that gives you the chance to grow and learn. There is so much more to this career than sitting behind a desk being bored !
I am 40, i have 5 children all of which are old enough to look after themselves. I worked most of my life in various jobs not knowing what i wanted to do. I worked in the motor trade for 8 years starting as a delivery driver then advancing to become a sales rep which i really enjoyed until i was made redundant september last year. I knew it was enevitable but when it actually happens it hits you when you stop have a regular wage coming in. I decided to do something practical with what little redundancy money i had and enrolled in a few one day courses in Acrylic/gel nails,manicure/pedicure, waxing,facials and spraytanning i invested in all the equipment i needed to start my business then wanted to do eyelash extensions as i was told it was quite lucrative. I did a websearch and found ISIS Beauty Academy in Walton on Thames i did a one day course in Lash expert ilashes. When i got talking to the tutor she encouraged me to enrol in the VTCT Beauty therapy course which runs over 15 weeks which was ideal, i started the course in january and i finish level 2 24th of this month :biggrin: I got the learning bug and enrolled on the level 3 advanced course too which i finish 1st july. I have not stopped there i have enrolled to do Hot Stone Therapy and Sports massage. The world is your oyster do things while you can otherwise you will regret it in the end.
The only thing i will say it is very difficult to get work in a salon with just level 2 whether VTCT or NVQ i have found salons will not entertain you or even give you the chance to proove yourself unless you have level 3 as well. Maybe i am looking in the wrong places all i want is to get some salon/spa experience so i can advance and nuture my new found skills.
Good luck to everyone

hey Im 42 and i start my course at the carlton institute on friday nvq2/ihbc. I am so glad there are other oldies out there who have decided to do a career change. I am an accountant and after working for my brother for years running his central heating business, i decided i needed to do something different and i have always wanted to do something like this but never had the guts to go for it!!!!

so fingers crossed ive made the right decision, i must admit it is so nice to have a website like this as you can see that there are other people out there like me!!!

Good luck with your course......:Love:

hello fellow carlton institute student :) are you doing nails or beauty therapy? let me know how it goes because due to the distance learning nature of the course, I would love to have people to talk to about the porfolio etc, just for a bit of support and "how are you finding it chat if nothing else :)

hmmm, having read a lot of your posts here, i'm thinking than in a way, maybe the recession helped a lot of people reassess what they wanted to do for a career. I would certainly say that aspect of the economy played into how things went for me based on the number of unemployed university graduates.

I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's good going to university but being able to write essays isn't necessarily as employable as having a practical skill that people will pay for directly.

I do hope that there's an element of fate and things happening for a reason in some of this!

hello fellow carlton institute student :) are you doing nails or beauty therapy? let me know how it goes because due to the distance learning nature of the course, I would love to have people to talk to about the porfolio etc, just for a bit of support and "how are you finding it chat if nothing else :)
hi laurakate

i am starting the beauty therapy course this friday, I am quite nervous as I am not sure what to expect, Ive started reading assessment booklets and it all looks very daunting a little different from bought ledger and excel spreadsheets!!!

good luck and let me know how you are getting on too!!

hi laurakate

i am starting the beauty therapy course this friday, I am quite nervous as I am not sure what to expect, Ive started reading assessment booklets and it all looks very daunting a little different from bought ledger and excel spreadsheets!!!

good luck and let me know how you are getting on too!!

heya :)

well I've done the week long course at carlton and i'm pleased with the training i received. i am now starting to put it into practice (i'm not able to do as much as i'd like yet as i'm trying to find an affordable massage table) but yeah, gotta do my treatments and then i'm waiting for my nvq guidebook to come through the post so that i can get started on the written work. I should do a blog, all in all, it's a fair bit of work but it's doable :)

Latest posts

Back