Doing beauty as a career change? what did you used to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my story is kinda boring, but when I left school I was kinda made to feel if you have good grades you should do IT courses. So I did and got nothing out of it, other than a year of not earning. All the IT jobs in the area were gone as everyone was trying to do it. I didnt know what to do, so I went into retail. 4 years later and I was made redundant from woolworths. And I was unemployed with no prospect of a job for 9 months. I got so fed up, it seemed no jobs were around and I didnt want to earn minimal wage for the rest of my life. So for my birthday I went to have my nails done (to cheer me up) and the girl just inspired me, she was younger than me with her own room (above a car sales), doing really well. In the middle of this horrible time she was even getting ready to buy a nicer place in a high class area. Thats when I thought Id love to have a trade, something not everyone can just apply for. And Ive always loved art, so I just decided this was probably for me. The course was the test, as to if it was what I want to do. And to tell you the truth, Ive never been so happy in my life. I love doing nails and took to it suprisingly well. Ive now worked in a salon and am trying to go mobile! Being a nail technician is the best decision Ive ever made.

Well my story is kinda boring, but when I left school I was kinda made to feel if you have good grades you should do IT courses. So I did and got nothing out of it, other than a year of not earning. All the IT jobs in the area were gone as everyone was trying to do it. I didnt know what to do, so I went into retail. 4 years later and I was made redundant from woolworths. And I was unemployed with no prospect of a job for 9 months. I got so fed up, it seemed no jobs were around and I didnt want to earn minimal wage for the rest of my life. So for my birthday I went to have my nails done (to cheer me up) and the girl just inspired me, she was younger than me with her own room (above a car sales), doing really well. In the middle of this horrible time she was even getting ready to buy a nicer place in a high class area. Thats when I thought Id love to have a trade, something not everyone can just apply for. And Ive always loved art, so I just decided this was probably for me. The course was the test, as to if it was what I want to do. And to tell you the truth, Ive never been so happy in my life. I love doing nails and took to it suprisingly well. Ive now worked in a salon and am trying to go mobile! Being a nail technician is the best decision Ive ever made.

I can identify with that massively whereby I'm doing nicely when it comes to academic qualifications but that's not a trade that someone will pay me for lol. So yeah, the notion of having a trade that people will pay for upfront has certainly inspired me :)

i love hearing all your stories give me hope.
i trained at the london college of beauty therapy at 21 - 22 level 2 and 3 best years it was the first time i had found myself in a career that i love. after that i to gain experiance i rented a room at the back of a hairdressers did not make any money but learnt loads and because i am disleyxic i went back to my high school got them to put in beauty therapy into the school as an alternative alevel. then i went to israel and had a business at home and loved it my business grew and i could do it around young children. 3 yrs ago we came back to uk and i stopped doing beauty 3 yrs ago to work with my husband and have some more children i am now going back into it and my confidence is at an all time low i did the bio sculpture and the shellac training just trying to balance everything out with the kids does anyone feel the same please let me know

I'm a late starter too! 42 and used to work as a PA. If it goes belly up at least I have something to still fall back on! :D

Hi

I studied Geology at uni and before I even graduated I got 3 job offers as a Geotechnical Engineer (in 2007 pre-recession!). I worked as an engineer for 18 months before being made redundant! The job paid very well and I thought I was sorted so it was pretty difficult and I had to move back home.

But I realised it was an opportunity to do something I'd always wanted to and that I wasn't really that happy there anyway. I applied for beauty courses at colleges and realised I couldn't really afford the fees and wanted to travel too which would interfere with classes and exams etc. So I travelled around South America in May, June and July this year then completed a foundation and liquid and powder course with CND in Edinburgh when I got back. I've alway been more interested in nails, I'm quite artistic and a bit of a perfectionist! (I've always made my own cards, painted, baked etc.) I finished the course a couple weeks ago and CANNOT WAIT to do more like gel, Minx, Shellac, pedicures..everything!! And of course start working.

I've not felt this enthusiastic about anything for years and I can't wait to get further and give clients beautiful nails that make them feel confident. Redundancy was the best thing that ever happened to me :D

Mx

I'm 47 and started in the beauty industry April last year, while working in Admin, part time ( I've worked most of my life as a fulltime PA and became really bored with working in an office). I completed an LVL course, HD Brows course and now I'm training in Semi Permanent Make up and Eyelash extensions, I have met so many lovely people since doing the treatments and training, It's a whole different experience to office work.

Shel x

Latest posts

Back