Dry Hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady H

Reaction score
Hi all - this afternoon my mam is letting me loose on her nails so I can practise on a real hand (other than my own)
She has never had anything done to her nails before. She doesnt bite them but her hands and nails are in quite bad condition as she has her hands in water a lot at work so her hands are very dry and chapped.
Once i have tidied up her cutlicles and applied enhancements the nails should be ok but whats the best handcream you can suggest that I can get at short notice as I want to do before and after pictures and she wont let me do it unless her hands look nice as well.

PS she is off work for a week so the water wont spoil the nails straight away!!

Solar Butter or Solar Silk would help the condition of her skin, it's very moisturising.
My Solar Manicure clients love the feeling of their hands and skin afterwards and say it feels fab for a few days afterwards too.

for SUPER DRY and chapped hands get half a block (a butter size block) of lard ......yes lard (dripping) in a bowl.... then mix in a cup of castor (fine) sugar give this a good rub in and around hands, massage for a while, rinse under warm water then apply lanolin (if needed)......... this is what you call an old wives recipe ...... it's cheap and works a treat, i made it for my dad and he was amazed at the results
make sure the nails are applied and buffed in correctly before applting any oils at all

I truly believe in SolarButter or SolarSilk.

However, if you can't get your hands on any of the above, why don't you try doing a warm paraffin wax on her or just use a good quality hand lotion and then put them in some heated mitts for about 5 - 10 mins.

River

River said:
I truly believe in SolarButter or SolarSilk.

However, if you can't get your hands on any of the above, why don't you try doing a warm paraffin wax on her or just use a good quality hand lotion and then put them in some heated mitts for about 5 - 10 mins.

River

Thanks everyone, I will see what I can get hold of and hope for the best!!!

Body Shop's Hemp hand cream - really thick for really dry skin - works well.

Put on during the day or for intense conditioning use at night with mittens!

Fingertips ND said:
Body Shop's Hemp hand cream - really thick for really dry skin - works well.

Put on during the day or for intense conditioning use at night with mittens!

Someone else suggested this once before. I bought her some molton brown hand lotion for xmas. Maybe I should break that out if all else fails ha ha

SolarManicure to exfoliate and then SolarButter (and solar oil for her cuticles) and she will love the smell too.

Personally I swear by OPI AvoJuice...it gives great instant results.

my prescription would be a scrub made with almond oil and sugar. followed by a nice helping of rich cream. the best i have used is actually sold as a foot cream., its the heel to toe range by sallys, its absolutely brilliant and only costs a couple of pounds.

i suffer with dry hands...still waiting for a dish washer and washing up by hand really dries them out.
i use solar manicure to give my hands a good scub and the solar oil in the scrub moisturises them and brings your skin alive. then i rub in a good dollop of solar butter.
i do this every night before bed then use the solar butter or silk during the day.

angel fingers said:
my prescription would be a scrub made with almond oil and sugar. followed by a nice helping of rich cream. the best i have used is actually sold as a foot cream., its the heel to toe range by sallys, its absolutely brilliant and only costs a couple of pounds.

hmm this sounds good. i have a big bottle of almond oil. Also my mam has volunteered to be my guinea pig when I learn spa manicure and pedicure so I guess we will get her there in the end

nailzoo said:
for SUPER DRY and chapped hands get half a block (a butter size block) of lard ......yes lard (dripping) in a bowl.... then mix in a cup of castor (fine) sugar give this a good rub in and around hands, massage for a while, rinse under warm water then apply lanolin (if needed)......... this is what you call an old wives recipe ...... it's cheap and works a treat, i made it for my dad and he was amazed at the results
make sure the nails are applied and buffed in correctly before applting any oils at all

i thought Lanolin caused lifting, or am i wrong AGAIN..lol

mamma said:
i thought Lanolin caused lifting, or am i wrong AGAIN..lol
i thought that too,
vaseline intensive hand cream contains it so i have allways steared clear

I cant get the link to work Sandi.

sorry :o it was a link to a search page...
try a search for LANOLIN, there were 4 threads that came up about it. xx

just saying thanks for all the advice, my mams hands are looking much nicer now, i did the scrub with almond oil and sugar and then used some solar butter. Cheers all x x x

that's good Helen :D
is she going to use SolarSilk or SolarButter regularly now the colder weather is here?

ValencianNails said:
that's good Helen :D
is she going to use SolarSilk or SolarButter regularly now the colder weather is here?

I hope so, as she works with her hands in water a lot so she needs something to keep them in good condition.

Latest posts

Back