dry, splitting skin. treatments??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laylah

Reaction score
a friend of mine has very dry skin around his nails & on his fingertips, which he picks at all the time. on 3 of his fingertips his skin has actually split open and is very sore where he keeps picking.
hes a welder and so obviously uses his hands alot and cuts them alot. hope im explaining myself!

is there anything i could do to help? im not sure if i can put anything on his hands where the skin has split? i was thinking of a nice manicure with maybe parafin wax or a mask to soften the skin, but im a bit worried with his fingertips that have split.

any ideas & help would be much appreciated.
thanks alot

:cry: i dont know what you can use if he has open wounds? paraffin wax or hot oil would maybe the way to go? but not sure on that front if its open wounds?

If its just dry skin he would benefit from the above and a home care routine of solar oil and solar butter.

SOunds painful can he not use gloves or something at work(sorry if thats a thick question !!)

Tell him to stop picking or it may eventually get infected.

sorry i cant advise further i am sure someone will come up with a good plan!

amb x

thanks minkus, i do keep telling him but he cant help it. sometimes he doesnt even realise hes doing it!
the skin has actually split open on his fingertips, and its all dry, so im not sure either what to do because of this.
thanks though!

laylah said:
thanks minkus, i do keep telling him but he cant help it. sometimes he doesnt even realise hes doing it!
the skin has actually split open on his fingertips, and its all dry, so im not sure either what to do because of this.
thanks though!

i suppose youve got to stop the skin being dry and 'pickable' to start with so softening it with weekly warm oil manicures (just almond oil will do) and daily applying solar oil would be a start.

amb x

Layla ~ My mom works with paper all day and her fingers become exactly what you described. Her skin would split so badly that she would have deep cuts on her fingertips. The way I helped her solve the problem was with Solar Oil. It helps to mend skin and conditions deeper (as you probably already know). Her cuts heal faster and it also prevents new ones and keep her cuticles and the skin on her fingers moisturized. Paraffin, if its scented, will hurt on the deep cuts. Try the Solar Oil treatments first, then once those cuts heal, the paraffin will also help to prevent it from happening again.

Hope that helps! ~ Kelli

Hi there

I used to have this problem every winter time with my fingers, mainly due to being out in all weathers looking after the nags. The only way I've found that helps me is to constantly wear gloves when outside, hardly do any washing up lol, and keep putting hand cream on.

All he can do with the cuts is to leave them alone and let them heal, then he can start looking after them better.

Deb379

slap on the Solar Balm and Solar Oil regularly... one of my clients suffers badly from dry and splitting skin on her fingers, she had stopped having enhancements for a while but decided to have some for xmas... within 2 days of using the Solar Oil again her skin has improved no end, she bought some solar balm from me and is using that too... it's fabulous stuff :D

Latest posts

Back