Evasive about hair color

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myhair

Reaction score

Last edited:
A hair stylist refused to tell me what color she was going to dye my hair. I don't know if I will ever relocate, but I need to know what color dye is used in case I ever relocate. I don't want any guessing games going on when it comes to my hair color. Her reasoning was that some clients get mad at her and don't come back (so this is a way to make them come back). :?:

So, what exactly are you asking us?

But for the record, any pro hair messer good at their job will know what shade/colour/tone to put on your hair by matching what you already have.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

A hair stylist refused to tell me what color she was going to dye my hair. I don't know if I will ever relocate, but I need to know what color dye is used in case I ever relocate. I don't want any guessing games going on when it comes to my hair color. Her reasoning was that some clients get mad at her and don't come back (so this is a way to make them come back). :?:

I probably would refuse aswell... we dont use our knowledge and hard work getting things right so people can just take what we've used and go to the cheap salon round the corner..

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

The chances if ur new salon using the exact same brand of colour is slim anyway, it's not really common practice for a professional to give our a diurnal for colour because you could go to a sallys buy it yourself and ruin your hair then blame the stylist for giving you the information, if u came to my salon I'd be able to tell you exactly what you have on your hair just by looking :)

Last edited:
I just want to use the same solid color every time so there is no secret formula. I can only use a particular brand of color since other brands make my hair look too orange. So, I would not be able to have a hair stylist match my hair color to any brand for that reason. I have never had a problem with a hair stylist telling me which color they are using on me. It actually deters me from seeing this hair stylist if it was her plan to do the opposite.

I doubt that only one brand of colour is suitable for avoiding orange. Professional colour ranges are a lot more complicated and clever than you think! However it's the stylist that makes the magic happen with their knowledge of HOW to use the products. Clearly you change stylists often as you stated stylists tell you which colour their using which makes me think you go tell another stylist what to use (just assuming mind) if you came into my salon and told me what colour to use I'm afraid you wouldn't get that, you'd get the best education as to why my choice is more suitable, I understand you worry about orange tones but as I said before a professional can match up a colour just by looking at it, not all salons use the same colour lines so a colour number in one line could be a different thing in another line, then u really would be in orange territory! Leave it to the pros we know what were doing, out of curio what colour line is the only one you can use?

Orange hair isn't caused by using the wrong brand of colour.
It just means your hairdresser has not mixed the right formula to get the result you want.

There are excellent, competent and poor colourists out there so you just need to ensure you choose someone who is at least competent. The best way to do this is to ask for personal recommendations.

Also, your hair changes as you age so your colourist will need to adjust the formula they use if you want to maintain the same result.

If I had a client turn up with a formula written on a bit of paper, I'd still do a full consultation and custom blend a formula for her just as I do for every one of my clients.

I think it's not unlike visiting a posh restaurant and handing the Maître D' your granny's Apple Pie recipe, expecting him to pass it to the head Chef, lol! :eek:

Haha I want Sunday roast... But I want it like my mam makes it 😂

Last edited:
Nothing you can do really... If they dont want to give it away. Youll just have to do your research and make sure you're going to a good colourist. Have you explained you're moving

Also blue tone is in all colour ranges... just tell your stylist it orange or goes orange. Easy

Stylists tend not to mix brands either, if I was wanting to add a tone to a mixing bowl I wouldn't grab a colour from a different colour house, so you shouldn't worry about that.
If you just explain to your next stylist that your hair tends to go orange they will know how to handle it when they match your colour up and mix the formula. Good colourists can look at a persons hair and know what colour has been used previously. I don't think I have ever told a client what I use on their hair, formula-wise, they wouldn't have a clue anyway. I remember at college when I told my tutor what I was mixing, my client looked at me and said "that was like being in a hospital when doctors give instruction to a nurse" and laughed.
I think you are worrying too much, when u relocate perhaps get some recommendations on salons in that area and see how you feel when you get to each one. If you use a chain salon look for a "branch" in your new area and go there, they use the same brands so will be able to give you the same service and result you expect because the products are the same.

Any professional colourists in here know of a brand that comes ready mixed?

Any professional colourists in here know of a brand that comes ready mixed?

What with . peroxide? No but cba to go into it ha

Oh god! ,I explain in detail exactly what I'm using on my clients hair and why. I love to talk color! They usually just end up saying, wow, now I see why my color alway looks so good.

Funny thing is most of my color clients never colored their hair before coming to me!

I mean I get the odd color correction like anyone else, but by and large, I sell them on the concept of beautiful, high quality haircolor.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

What with . peroxide? No but cba to go into it ha

Just true semi permanent, like color fresh (wella).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

From what I got from the op I believe there's lifting of some kind if were dealing with an orange situation?

I wasnt even thinking of semis lol

Latest posts

Back