Excessively greasy hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsandWhistles

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 12 year old is going through puberty. So obviously her hair is getting greasy quite a lot more than previously. But is there anything gets I can use to help it. As it's got increasingly excessive. She can wash her hair in the morning and by the afternoon it's very greasy already. I've tried not washing it so much. Washing everyday. Alternating with dry shampoo and washing but it's getting worse and worse. Any Pro help would be very much appreciated. Thanks x

When she shampoos her hair make sure she is shampooing it twice every time (if it's still not lathering up do one extra). The first shampoo doesn't clean the scalp fully, hence why the second shampoo is essential. When conditioning only use it on the mid lengths and ends, don't apply it onto the scalp. I love the Amika Perk Up dry shampoo, so you could possibly try that one if you haven't already. I have so many young girls come in and complain that their hair is always greasy, and it's usually because they don't do enough shampoos when washing it. I also would recommend Wella Pure Shampoo, I've used it on a few of my clients and they've noticed that their hair hasn't been as greasy since using it. I hope this helps :) x

When she shampoos her hair make sure she is shampooing it twice every time (if it's still not lathering up do one extra). The first shampoo doesn't clean the scalp fully, hence why the second shampoo is essential. When conditioning only use it on the mid lengths and ends, don't apply it onto the scalp. I love the Amika Perk Up dry shampoo, so you could possibly try that one if you haven't already. I have so many young girls come in and complain that their hair is always greasy, and it's usually because they don't do enough shampoos when washing it. I also would recommend Wella Pure Shampoo, I've used it on a few of my clients and they've noticed that their hair hasn't been as greasy since using it. I hope this helps :) x
Actually, that's completely wrong/untrue, shampoo is harsh on the hair so shampooing twice isn't good for it when you accumulate it, and any shampoo that's not lathering in one application is not the right shampoo for that particular client/person, which is why there are so many different types of shampoo, there's a whole load i could say but I'll leave it at this, if it's not lathering try a different shampoo, don't do it twice you're removing natural oils, you don't need to remove those, just the buildup of natural oils, which one shampoo can remove if you're using the right shampoo to begin with!

as for conditioner, conditioner adds condition to the hair, and fair enough the roots are conditioned by natural oil (sebum) you still need to touch them with conditioner, but not blob it onto the roots straight away, apply it to the mid length and ends, massage it in and LIGHTLY bring it to the roots, not directly on the roots but close to your scalp, just so they get a bit of the conditioner, then rinse off with cool water *the cooler the shinier and more sealed your hair will be, so it stays moisturised til your next wash!*

as for your daughters hair, its her scalp that's oily, not her hair as such so look for a shampoo for the scalp rather than the hair that combats greasiness, usually shampoo's and conditioners for 'fine/normal' hair are good for greasy hair because they're light weight and not as heavily buffed with other ingredients and they're used on thin/fine hair so you wouldn't want them heavy haha, try using baby shampoo or buy shampoo with tea tree oil in it, it'll soothe her scalp and somewhat 'calm' it down over time:)

Wow, 2 very conflicting points of view there! Haha!
I'll definitely try some different shampoos. Is the Wella shampoo pro only? @ge0rgiaday xx

Wow, 2 very conflicting points of view there! Haha!
I'll definitely try some different shampoos. Is the Wella shampoo pro only? @ge0rgiaday xx
Many stylists are taught to shampoo twice because sometimes they use a certain range of shampoos which may not be suitable as such for the person infront of them but they still need to have the hair in a professional standard afterwards, in my opinion anyway, but it's fact that you don't need to shampoo twice, it's bad for the hair. some brands do say 'repeat if desired' but you shouldn't, but that;s because many of the products are made by scientists and chemists and such rather than actual hairdressers, which explains why most of them have relatively the exact same ingredients in them lol with maybe 3-6 of their own ingredients e.g. oils, types of silicones, etc.

You've just gotta find a shampoo that works for her hair! :) what you can do though is leave the shampoo on the hair, massage for 10-30 seconds then leave it for a minute to work in, then rinse, this should remove excess oil without stripping the natural oils out, then condition, leave on for upwards of 1 minute :)

The hair is never going to lather on the 1'st shampoo if its greasy! That's why we shampoo twice! 1'st time is to loosen the dirt & the second is to remove it!

Op I ware hair extensions so I very rarley wash my hair, when I do there's absolutely no lather on my 1'st attempt ever, sometimes I have to wash it 3 times before it lathers, I'm going to pm you a shampoo to try out in a minute :)

Shampoo reduces the hairs natural ph & conditioner raises it back to normal ph we need to use both to get the best results

The hair is never going to lather on the 1'st shampoo if its greasy! That's why we shampoo twice! 1'st time is to loosen the dirt & the second is to remove it!

Op I ware hair extensions so I very rarley wash my hair, when I do there's absolutely no lather on my 1'st attempt ever, sometimes I have to wash it 3 times before it lathers, I'm going to pm you a shampoo to try out in a minute :)

Shampoo reduces the hairs natural ph & conditioner raises it back to normal ph we need to use both to get the best results
it will lather if you use the correct shampoo, and hair can lather when greasy, if you find it doesnt emulsify it with a bit of water and massage it, and if you think about it, only drugstore shampoos say lather rinse repeat, whereas most professional ones don't because they're more concentrated, you're over cleansing your hair if you're doing it 3 times.

the whole point of lather rinse repeat is you use more shampoo then have to buy more, it's a marketing scheme.

Where did our posts go?

Never mind must have just been glitching

it will lather if you use the correct shampoo, and hair can lather when greasy, if you find it doesnt emulsify it with a bit of water and massage it, and if you think about it, only drugstore shampoos say lather rinse repeat, whereas most professional ones don't because they're more concentrated, you're over cleansing your hair if you're doing it 3 times.

the whole point of lather rinse repeat is you use more shampoo then have to buy more, it's a marketing scheme.
Granny eggs..... Have you ever worn 200g of hair extensions and not shampooed for anywhere up to 3 weeks?

Granny eggs..... Have you ever worn 200g of hair extensions and not shampooed for anywhere up to 3 weeks?
my own hair is equivellant to that probably, and i have gone 3 weeks without washing before, yes... and i still shampoo once because i don't use any product in my hair, so unless you're using hairspray, gels and such on a daily basic no need for 3 shampoos, and what the heck is granny eggs?
I hope your hair is 200g without the extensions or you will end up with traction alopecia :p

Daniel go away! I'm a professional fully qualified hairdresser! I know what I'm doing with my own hair!

It's childish to keep undermining my knowledge, I've left you be this far, I could pick apart every thing you say but I haven't because I have more respect than that, I don't troll your posts nit picking everything you say so STOP doing it to me
It's not just your knowledge though, a lot of hairdressers think lather rinse repeat is the way to go, but it's not, and i'm not trolling anyone, i'm trying to give people the CORRECT knowledge to use for good, so their hair stays healthy and well managed.

You need to try a different shampoo if you're not getting a lather after 3 weeks of not washing, I usually go 2 weeks if i don't bleach my hair in-between before i even bother to wash my hair because i don't care what people think of extremely greasy hair and it keeps my hair healthy and protected in-between anyway, hence how it's still so healthy, and when i do wash it after 2 weeks it lathers in one shampoo and removes all of the excess oil. your hair is supposed to be lightly coated with sebum you're not supposed to completely strip it from your hair, that's how it gets damaged by the environment and brushing more than anything, which should be obvious to you and ANY hairdresser, but it's not, which is understandable because a lot of them think they have to lather rinse repeat, so it's ongoing.

clarify your hair if you've gone 3 weeks anyway, normal shampoo wont cut 3 weeks of sebum.

To be honest Daniel it was quite insulting what you said about the 200g of hair. You can add up to 450g of hair and not get traction alopecia.

P.s I haven't washed my hair for 2 months because its under a wig and when i do i'm gonna need about 9 shampoos to get a lather.

Following an edit on yet another hair related thread, please let's keep this professional and on topic, without the stuff which is more suitable for the playground.

Thanks.

To be honest Daniel it was quite insulting what you said about the 200g of hair. You can add up to 450g of hair and not get traction alopecia.

P.s I haven't washed my hair for 2 months because its under a wig and when i do i'm gonna need about 9 shampoos to get a lather.
wig? or weave? if so thats very bad honestly, even with weaves and extensions you're supposed to water down your shampoo and cleanse them (watered down to prevent buildup or residue) and you can yes, but it's 50/50 chance, because you're not supposed to wear extensions double the thickness of your own hair, for example if you were to get micro loops you'd apply 1g of hair to a section of your own natural hair that is also 1g so it doesn't cause ANY tension AT ALL on the hair, because hair should NEVER feel heavy or itchy from PROPER extension placement and knowledge, it's the same with box braids, if you use a section of hair much thicker than your natural hair it is going to pull at the root of the hair and when removed there will be thinning hair or traction alopecia.

if your natural hair is 200g i wouldn't add extensions to it that make it weigh over 410g altogether so that there is no chance of ANY breakage or thinning and so the hair can actually be protected, because majority of the time, especially with cultures such as the black/ethnic background use weave and box braids to protect their natural hair so it can grow without any manipulation to the hair underneath, if you use hair over double the thickness of your own hair that whole theory is useless and won't do any protecting just tension and pulling and obvious heaviness.

Actually, that's completely wrong/untrue, shampoo is harsh on the hair so shampooing twice isn't good for it when you accumulate it, and any shampoo that's not lathering in one application is not the right shampoo for that particular client/person, which is why there are so many different types of shampoo, there's a whole load i could say but I'll leave it at this, if it's not lathering try a different shampoo, don't do it twice you're removing natural oils, you don't need to remove those, just the buildup of natural oils, which one shampoo can remove if you're using the right shampoo to begin with!

as for conditioner, conditioner adds condition to the hair, and fair enough the roots are conditioned by natural oil (sebum) you still need to touch them with conditioner, but not blob it onto the roots straight away, apply it to the mid length and ends, massage it in and LIGHTLY bring it to the roots, not directly on the roots but close to your scalp, just so they get a bit of the conditioner, then rinse off with cool water *the cooler the shinier and more sealed your hair will be, so it stays moisturised til your next wash!*

as for your daughters hair, its her scalp that's oily, not her hair as such so look for a shampoo for the scalp rather than the hair that combats greasiness, usually shampoo's and conditioners for 'fine/normal' hair are good for greasy hair because they're light weight and not as heavily buffed with other ingredients and they're used on thin/fine hair so you wouldn't want them heavy haha, try using baby shampoo or buy shampoo with tea tree oil in it, it'll soothe her scalp and somewhat 'calm' it down over time:)
Actually. Good quality shampoos nowadays are not harsh at all. If you buy a cheap shampoo that is likely to strip the oils.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate is a main ingredient that helps make the lather. Many companies are removing SLS' from their products. It's a stupid misconception that lather means clean. It's a completely incorrect thought.

@BellsandWhistles Citrus and teatree shampoos should help. Brand wise I can't advise in afraid.

As a teenager I found I had pretty greasy hair as most teenagers do. I found washing my hands more. And wearing it off my face helped. I reckon this is because I was always touching it and my greasy face made my hair greasy too.

When shampooing the temptation is to scrub, but the more your scrub and massage the more you're stimulating the sebum glands.

Also, as silly as it sounds. She may not be rinsing it completely. This would cause product build up which isn't gonna help the situation.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back