Extreme reaction to waxing- advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEEBYBOOFAY

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been waxing for a while now and this morning I carried out a treatment on a lady who had the normal red spots that happen after but then they started to kind of bubble and looked like a nettle rash.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this happened, the wax is the same and I had waxed people earlier with no problems. I had to stop because I was afraid and so I applied a cold compress to the leg as it was also hot. I also applied the after wax lotion to try and reduce the inflammation.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I haven't seen this reaction before.
Nora

Hi there,

I have been waxing for a while now and this morning I carried out a treatment on a lady who had the normal red spots that happen after but then they started to kind of bubble and looked like a nettle rash.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this happened, the wax is the same and I had waxed people earlier with no problems. I had to stop because I was afraid and so I applied a cold compress to the leg as it was also hot. I also applied the after wax lotion to try and reduce the inflammation.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I haven't seen this reaction before.
Nora

you could tell her to try some piriton if it doesnt clear up.....trip to the docs !

She may be allergic to one of the ingredients in the wax.

Was it the first time she had ever been waxed?

amb x

Well first time in ten years, I have just called my old tutor who said this sometimes happens... sensitive skin. I will contact client and yes I was thinking Piriton.

Thanks for your help,

Aloe vera gel, aloe vera gel, aloe vera gel. Takes the irritation out and keeps the skin in a soft state so there won't be in grown hairs. I am not a skin tech but I get waxes and have reactions to it everytime, This is the only thing that works for me.

Hi there,

This sounds very much like a histamine response, which should go down within 24 hours (often sooner) - I see it sometimes when waxing backs and chests on chaps. Although it can look quite alarming at the time, it's a normal and temporary reaction to the physical trauma of having hair removed that some people experience. In simple terms, the skin doesn't like what is happening and thinks it is under attack - histamine is released from the mast cells as part of the immune response, and this produces the inflammation and nettle-rash-like symptoms you describe.

True allergies to wax ingredients are quite rare, although clients with an allergy to sticking plasters can experience problems with the rosin in some waxes (the same ingredient is used to make Band Aids stick).

Some folks find that an antihistamine tablet or cream can help with the rash, but she would need to check this with a pharmacist first. Cold compresses and pure aloe vera gel (as suggested by JDs) will also help to take the heat and inflammation out of the skin.

HTHs :D

Andy x

Aloe vera gel, aloe vera gel, aloe vera gel. Takes the irritation out and keeps the skin in a soft state so there won't be in grown hairs. I am not a skin tech but I get waxes and have reactions to it everytime, This is the only thing that works for me.

I agree as this is the ONLY thing i use after waxing,even better than tea tree imo.

can anyone recommend a make of aloe vera gel then? the only one i have seen is sterex , is there other ones?

When waxing a friend for one of my case studies she had a similar reaction - she came out in hives despite not suffering from sensitive skin so we didn't think a patch test would be required. I popped out and got her some piriton and it cleared right up in about 30 minutes, but it was incredibly uncomfortable and itchy for her (i waxed her forearms for her). She is okay with hot wax, but not with warm wax, and doesn't have an allergy to plasters (as i thought it may be something along those lines)... It was a total mystery to me.
One of my regular clients is fine with waxing anywhere but her bikni line and eyebrows. If you wax these areas she immediately comes out in an atrocious bruising effect - scared the living daylights out of me when i waxed her bikini line for the first time. She said she didn't mention she'd had the problem before as she didn't think it would happen again. I just stopped the treatment straight away and suggested she steer clear of waxing those areas.

Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone with scary waxing experiences!:wink2:

can anyone recommend a make of aloe vera gel then? the only one i have seen is sterex , is there other ones?

Dont know whether this is any help as my neighbour suggested it to me for post epilating. Its sold in health shops Quest and the like. Aloe Pura ORGANIC ALOE VERA LOTION, also comes in a gel too. 99.9% bio active aloe vera.

sbc do one up to a litre size which is 99.7% aloe vera.Ellisons and other proffessional mail order companys stock it and so do qvc.

other than a cold compress and aloe vera gel i would not apply anything else to the skin. advise them to see gp/pharmacist if the reaction does not go down within 6-8 hrs. You could say that other people who have had a similar reaction have tried an anti histamine, but never recommend them to do this, as these are still classed as medicines/drugs and as a therapist it is not advisable to do so in the event of a worse reaction etc. (i know this sounds extremist- but its always best to be safe). obviously this was a friend, so is different, but never give the client such products. HTHs:)

god wot am i on about now you mention sbc i hve seen it in ellisons , lol
thanks though guys x

it sounds like a reaction to hair removal probably not an allegic reaction

apply aloe vera and a cold compress

the redness should go by the next day if it is still present then see a gp

I just use forever living aloe vera products it is great stuff i just use the aloe vera gel i use everything aloe vera aloe vera toothpaste hand soap moisturiser everthing

god wot am i on about now you mention sbc i hve seen it in ellisons , lol
thanks though guys x
Thats right thats the one i get it from or from pevonia which is part of SBC.
Clients LOVE it and it flys out the window as i keep loads in stock.Especially as summers coming you can use it as an aftersun too.hth.:)

This sounds very much like a histamine response, which should go down within 24 hours (often sooner) - I see it sometimes when waxing backs and chests on chaps. Although it can look quite alarming at the time, it's a normal and temporary reaction to the physical trauma of having hair removed that some people experience. In simple terms, the skin doesn't like what is happening and thinks it is under attack - histamine is released from the mast cells as part of the immune response, and this produces the inflammation and nettle-rash-like symptoms you describe.

True allergies to wax ingredients are quite rare, although clients with an allergy to sticking plasters can experience problems with the rosin in some waxes (the same ingredient is used to make Band Aids stick).

Some folks find that an antihistamine tablet or cream can help with the rash, but she would need to check this with a pharmacist first. Cold compresses and pure aloe vera gel (as suggested by JDs) will also help to take the heat and inflammation out of the skin.

HTHs :D

Andy x

You beat me to the punch Andy.... this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

I have a large Aloe Vera plant growing in my salon area so if ever I need it, I just cut a bit of leaf off and use the gel inside it!

Jackie

Thank you so much guys and gals for your responses... I must admit it was scary as I just could see that it was sore! I will buy some Aloe Vera and use this as it sounds like it does the trick.

As for advising an anti histamine, I did suggest this but asked the client to seek medical advice first as I am aware that we aren't to diagnose anything etc. Your comments have helped me to feel reassured that it wasn't I that did something wrong.

What a great community!:hug:

Latest posts

Back