Eyelash extensions - patch test/insurance questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna007

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm currently doing eyelash extensions on close friends and family and once i'm more confident would like to take clients (aka people i dont know). I don't have a registered business yet because it's just f&f at the moment. But i would eventually like to have a little home business/studio offering extensions, makeup & nails (once qualified).

I live in Australia, NSW and am wondering whats the deal with patch testing and insurance. I'm not sure what to look up to find out if patch testing in required in NSW. Could anyone help me?

Also, if i made a contract roughly saying something like 'If you choose not to do a patch test and do have any sort of eye/skin reaction I am not to be held liable and cannot be sued (obviously the wording would be better). Is that enough to cover me from being sued? I would obviously tell them to come back to me and i would remove the extensions asap too.

If someone could help me find if PT is required in Australia NSW I would be greatly appreciative.
Another thing, what type of insurance would i need. I would be working from home so would i need home insurance in case some one fell on my property?

Thank you all,

- Confused Lasher

In my professional opinion I would advise to ALWAYS patch test regardless of regulations. It's good practice and ultimately protects your client and your reputation.

I have a separate sheet in my contract that has two sections. One section is agreeing to a patch test. The other section is s waiver. The client must sign either of the two. 99.9% of the time, the client will waive her patch text.
Protect yourself

I have a separate sheet in my contract that has two sections. One section is agreeing to a patch test. The other section is s waiver. The client must sign either of the two. 99.9% of the time, the client will waive her patch text.
Protect yourself

If anything should happen and you haven't patch tested and the company you get your adhesive from requires patch testing the waiver won't stand up in court

I always patch test - here in the uk you legally have to

But I also want to protect my client, their health is paramount to me

It's also a great way to make them feel at ease whilst you do a consultation too and then you know what you are going to apply on them and can be all set up and ready to go at the full set

I also take a deposit at this patch test too

I do retail amazing patch test and consultation forms that have all the info there that any tech needs and these can be used for any business.

Frankie is totally right and here in the UK insurance companies will always insist on patch tests otherwise there wouldn't be any cover anyway.

Latest posts

Back