Foot skincare condition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liana kay

Reaction score
Hi , i am a hair geek , but i wondered if any beauty geeks who do pedicures would be able to help me .
The skin on my feet splits leaving deep bloody fissures. I have been to the doctor , but told me they had no idea and to keep doing as i am doing - using 50/50 (paraffin and petroleam ) to moisturise , thing is , the skin isnt dry until it splits , then the skin each side of the split drys and thickens ..
Any ideas , its so painful

Hiya,

It sounds similar to something that I have suffered with for over 7 years...I have seen 3 dermatologists, had allergy testing and a biopsy from the sole of my foot (extremely painful)...and still no one can come up with a diagnosis.

I have been prescribed several creams and potions over the years and the best solution I have come up with is: dermavate cream and epiderm ointment.

Every night I use a foot file on dry feet to remove any callous build up and apply dermavate into any cracks, I then apply epiderm all over the sole of my foot and cover with a plastic food bag (dematologist recommended cling film but I find these stay on better)...not very sexy.. but neither are dry, cracked feet.

If I follow this proceedure, I manage to keep the dryness minimal and they look ok, but as soon as I can't be bothered, or just leave it for even one night, it's back to square one.

I have also been treated by a chiropodist who had me wearing special insoles for 6 months (wearing trainers only!!!)...I really have tried everything I can think of but still they are not cured.

I hope this help you a bit, I know how painful it can get and how depressing it is when all you want are nice footsies....

Take care,

Sarah x

We have a lady that comes in to see us regularly with the same kind of problem. Although she hasn't managed to stop cracking from happening she is now managing to keep on top of it. She dry files, uses the moisturiser supplied by callus peel, and also does an intense treatment using the pulp of a ripe banana & lemon juice. This is rubbed in to the area and wrapped in cling film (i think she goes to bed in it). She too has tried all sorts but says that this is by far the best results she has ever achieved. HTH xx

thanks , guys sounds similar to what im already doing , just hurts when im working , or walking or cleaning ,well anything really!

Hi guys, I have a couple of patients in my clinic suffering from the same condition - my patients have often seen dermatologists galore with no joy and to be honest, I can't explain what causes it, but I do know that the only thing I have found to work is Flexitol Heel Balm. I advise application morning and night all over the foot, not just the heel (wear a pair of gloves to apply as it's quite 'sticky') and to have the hard skin removed every 4 weeks to begin with and then every 6-8 weeks once the situation is under control. If you can't apply it in the morning (you do need to wear a pair of socks after application), just apply it thickly each night and wear bedsocks (not very glamorous, I know...). The active ingredient is the amount of urea (we all secrete urea to keep our skin soft naturally) at 25%, most foot creams only have a maximum of 10%.

One of my patients originally had a crust almost an inch thick with deep bleeding fissures and is now as clear as a baby's bum!

Hope that helps, take care, MrsMac

thanks , i was thinking id try that ,what does the urea do?
i dont have hardly any dry skin , apart from after the fissures have gone , which just peels off

Hiya, the urea causes hydrotopic solubilization which basically means it enables hard skin to soften and absorb moisture.

Have a go and see if it works - it's difficult to give professional advice without seeing your foot but from your description, I think you'll find the heel balm will help.

Take care, MrsMac

Flexitol for me too when I neglect my feet and they crack, mine is pure neglect though your condition sounds far worse.

hth's

Sorry to rain on the Flexitol parade...but it was the first thing my chiropodist prescribed...and it didn't work for me...:irked:....sorry guys...

Lol, Sarah x

Latest posts

Back