French Polish Chipping .... why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I just had a my new lady from yesterday phone me this morning to tell me the french polish I did for her yesterday afternoon started to chip on three nails! :( I am really pi**ed off because I spent most of my day there yesterday (doing a luxury pedicure and lots of waxing) and this sounds horrible, but I really hate going there, she is staying with my client and my client's house smells of smoke something terrible, I feel I can't breath when I'm working there, now I've got to go back there tomorrow to repaint these three friggin nails.

How can polish chip in 1 night? She said it is probably from the ridges in her nails but I buffed all her ridges away and her nails looked so nice. I also used white OPI polish instead of Creampuff from CND as it's out of stock at the moment (and this is why ladies I am so Creative obsessed becasue this doesn't normally happen) I am not running OPI down, please don't get me wrong but is it me or the polish or my client?

Please help!! I sealed the white polish with the base coat on top before doing the pink so how can this still happen? Sorry for the moan!

xxxx

Sounds strange!!
Does she smoke hun? Was she smoking during the treatment? Maybe oil from the ciggarettes was still on the nail plate and has caused the polish not to 'stick' properly and that might be why it's chipped!

Hi Tilly Ann,

This lady, (my client's friend with the french paint) does not smoke, my client does.

My procedure was as follows:

Scrubfreshed nails to remove excess oil
Applied one coat of Stickey base coat
Applied one thin coat of OPI white
Applied second thin coat of OPI white
Applied second coat of Stickey base coat to seal the white nicely
Applied one thin coat of Negligee
Finished with two top coats of Out the door top coat.

Am I maybe appying too much polish?

xxxx

Your procedure sounds ok!
Maybe she just has a really greasy nail plate? Or if there is alot of smoke in the air as you said before then I think that might be the problem!
it is a bit of a strange one! Maybe they weren;t completely dry though and she started doing cleaning or something maybe?!

Oh well ..... I just don't get it! I did ask her if she washed any dishes without gloves or anything and she said no, dishes don't get washed in their house :eek: and trust me, I can believe that one!!

Thanks anyway hun :hug:

xxxx

Rose143 said:
Oh well ..... I just don't get it! I did ask her if she washed any dishes without gloves or anything and she said no, dishes don't get washed in their house :eek: and trust me, I can believe that one!!

Thanks anyway hun :hug:

xxxx

At least you can do a french polish hun, i'm really cr*p at them.

Toni Talons said:
At least you can do a french polish hun, i'm really cr*p at them.

PMSL!!!! :lol: Bless your heart hun, it came with sheer determination after those blasted french manicure guides used to mess up my beautiful work :wink2:

xxxx

Perhaps you had too many layers of polish. I would suggest prepping as you would for enhancements. It is said that if you do that, there is no need for base coat and I would finish off with one top coat. Also, if you are doing to coats of white, ensure that they are very thin coats and that the first coat is absolutely dry before applying the second coat.

I used to do 2 thin white coats but it was taking me forever, especially if I had to tidy up afterwards. Try floating one nice coat of white on the tip, not too thick but a good coverage, followed by your pink of choice and one top coat. I do that now and it has been so much better and quicker.

Good luck and stay patient!:Love:

Urban Geek said:
Perhaps you had too many layers of polish. I would suggest prepping as you would for enhancements. It is said that if you do that, there is no need for base coat and I would finish off with one top coat. Also, if you are doing to coats of white, ensure that they are very thin coats and that the first coat is absolutely dry before applying the second coat.

I used to do 2 thin white coats but it was taking me forever, especially if I had to tidy up afterwards. Try floating one nice coat of white on the tip, not too thick but a good coverage, followed by your pink of choice and one top coat. I do that now and it has been so much better and quicker.

Good luck and stay patient!:Love:

Thank you my love for that sound advice :hug: , I will try it out tomorrow when I re-paint them.

I do prep like I would for enhancements but maybe I am using too much polish. I use Stickey, makes my french polish lasts beautifully.

Oh well, we'll see! :hug:

xxxx

Rose, our techs never use Out the Door over french, for some reason it gives us probs with Some clients...it is fine over normal enamel but seems to CRACK and sometimes CHIP over white...we moved to Super Shiney which we already used most of the time anyway, but now ALWAYS over white and we eradicated these probs, good luck!

fiona wallace said:
Rose, our techs never use Out the Door over french, for some reason it gives us probs with Some clients...it is fine over normal enamel but seems to CRACK and sometimes CHIP over white...we moved to Super Shiney which we already used most of the time anyway, but now ALWAYS over white and we eradicated these probs, good luck!

Thank you for that advice Fiona, I didn't get a chance to reply earlier :o

xxxx

Just to update you peeps on what happened with this polish.

I went there today to find that only the OPI white had chipped at the ends, it was a neat line along my smile line as well, which means that for some strange reason, the Negligee stayed on beautifully, no pealing, no chipping nothing!!!

I think it might have been a bad batch of white or something!!!

xxxx

or soemone drumming her fingers on the table top maybe?

scattyfox said:
or soemone drumming her fingers on the table top maybe?

Mmmmmm makes you wonder doesn't it, it's the first time she's ever had a french paint too!

xxxx

Latest posts

Back