French white tips??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommytocalee

Reaction score
Hi all, beginner here! What do I need to purchase to apply my french tips?\I ahve searched and have found online the UV light dryer and was wondering what is the best protection gel/topcoat/????/ what is it that you put ontop of your nails after you have applies the tips for best protection?

Cheri Lee

do you mean to do a french polish with just nail varnish or to apply a full set of french overlays with L&P or Gel?

mommytocalee said:
Hi all, beginner here! What do I need to purchase to apply my french tips?\I ahve searched and have found online the UV light dryer and was wondering what is the best protection gel/topcoat/????/ what is it that you put ontop of your nails after you have applies the tips for best protection?

Cheri Lee
Hi Cheri Lee, Welcome to the site, which company did you do your training with, it would help if you filled out your profile.
David

hi,
i havent done any training. just a personal interest of mine. i dont want to spend a fortune on the wrong supplies . no good to ask me any other questions because i havent a clue. i just know what i want and it is the thick coating that goes on over your nail after french tips have been applied.

Katelisa said:
top coat?

yeah! I guess? The real thick clear stuff?

mommytocalee said:
hi,
i havent done any training. just a personal interest of mine. i dont want to spend a fortune on the wrong supplies . no good to ask me any other questions because i havent a clue. i just know what i want and it is the thick coating that goes on over your nail after french tips have been applied.

Hi Cheri Lee, the people on this board have spent time and money on education and training within the nail industry. It would be really unfair to ask them to tell you how to do nails, not only because of the time and money spent but also for your own health and safety. Applying nail enhancements is not easy, you have to know about sanitation, the natural nail, nail disorder, the correct tips to use for the nail, product ratio......the list goes on and is never ending. My advice to you would be to either take a class and get yourself some qualifications or leave your nails to the professionals where you know you will be in safe hands.
David

Jay Dee, I have to say I think that comment is a little unfair! People who aren't trained can't buy professional products, and as another beginner and someone who is not trained, it sounded to me as if Cheri Lee was only asking about the best thing to use to keep her nails in nice condition. And I would also like to point out that not all professionals do a good job, I learnt more by asking questions from my old tech, suey on nail geek, than most tech's in basingstoke seem to know, which upsets me a bit when I have spent my hard earned cash on someone, such as a supposed creative master, who seems to know less than I do!!!!

I don't wish to speak out of turn, but I joined this site to seek advice from professionals, to learn from them and to see thier work. Its when we are met with someone who isn't willing to help (and i'm speaking from experience here) that we go out ourselves and do something we think is right, but is sooooo badly wrong, and then end up looking like idiots anyway!!! DO you not offer afetr care advice, such as using solar oil three times a day, or not to attach a nail if it has fallen off??

As a novice, i beg you, show a little compassion and help us out when we need it.

Jaydee said:
Hi Cheri Lee, the people on this board have spent time and money on education and training within the nail industry. It would be really unfair to ask them to tell you how to do nails, not only because of the time and money spent but also for your own health and safety. Applying nail enhancements is not easy, you have to know about sanitation, the natural nail, nail disorder, the correct tips to use for the nail, product ratio......the list goes on and is never ending. My advice to you would be to either take a class and get yourself some qualifications or leave your nails to the professionals where you know you will be in safe hands.
David

Sorry Cheri, i did mean to reply to you! I think its top coat your thinkng of, unless your thinking of a gel overlay, and then as some one who isn't trained, you can't buy that product hun. Can you not ask your nail tech to be sure??

amyuk said:
Jay Dee, I have to say I think that comment is a little unfair! People who aren't trained can't buy professional products, and as another beginner and someone who is not trained, it sounded to me as if Cheri Lee was only asking about the best thing to use to keep her nails in nice condition. And I would also like to point out that not all professionals do a good job, I learnt more by asking questions from my old tech, suey on nail geek, than most tech's in basingstoke seem to know, which upsets me a bit when I have spent my hard earned cash on someone, such as a supposed creative master, who seems to know less than I do!!!!

I don't wish to speak out of turn, but I joined this site to seek advice from professionals, to learn from them and to see thier work. Its when we are met with someone who isn't willing to help (and i'm speaking from experience here) that we go out ourselves and do something we think is right, but is sooooo badly wrong, and then end up looking like idiots anyway!!! DO you not offer afetr care advice, such as using solar oil three times a day, or not to attach a nail if it has fallen off??

As a novice, i beg you, show a little compassion and help us out when we need it.

Hi there,
Well I think Davids reply was spot on to be honest......and very responsible too.......
Untrained people can purchase Nail products, most wholesalers will sell Nail products like Monomer, Polymer, UV Gel, Resin systems to the untrained person......CND wont and LCN and other reputable companies wont either....
I am not sure what the census is like for mommytocalee's location......

Now if it is natural nail care advise, sure we can accommodate for that to an untrained person, but when it comes to how to use a system, then I feel this is a big no no.......
Would any of us write to a hairdressers and then ask them how to do a fab hairdo including, slices in different colours or highlights using mesh ????Referring in terminology to the products as gloop and some colored stuff???? Nope we wouldn't......because they would give us the same reply as we would to an untrained person..If you really want to do it, get an education........The same applies to nails...........
There is a lot more to it then just applying french tips and applying a L&P coating, UV Gel coating or Fibreglass coating......Ask any newly trained Technician who is still finding their feet in the industry..........

This web site is a site for professionals by professionals............. this site is here to educate the Nail Technicians who have spend a lot of money to get where they are right now and I am sorry if this offends, not the Lady's that just want to put on some nails to save some pennies......

I am more than willing to help any new Nail Technician in troubleshooting, mentoring or other needs,but I will not lay my reputation on the line and teach someone to do nails via a message board, without any class room or at least homelearn education to complement this..........
Now this mind sound harsh, but I have their safety at heart and where will I stand if it goes wrong and then it comes back to bite me fair and square in the butt ????? With the last famous words of: BUT YOU TOLD ME TO DO IT !

this is my take on this and sorry again if I ruffle some feathers, but this is my stand on this xxxx

Amyuk, I stand by my comments 100%. We are fighting a never ending battle to raise the awareness of the standards in our Industry. I have always given sound and honest advice to anyone who I can help out here on the site, the reason is that they are trained and do know what they are talking about. It would have been unprofesional of me to tell her how to do nails what with the damage that can be done to the natural nail without the correct training. If you read the thread correctly Cheri mentioned purchasing white tips, uv light, gel or top coat. You seemed to think that the correct product she was looking for was top coat. How on earth can you tell someone what is best for their nails without them sitting infront of you to give the correct treatment to suit the individuals needs. I gave her good advice by telling her to take a class or go to a professional technician to save herself from damaging her own nails. In relation to your question "Do I not give aftercare advice to my clients or tell them to use solar oil three times daily", the answer to your question is yes I do give aftercare advice but as no two clients are the same then I give the aftercare advice that suits the individual client.

David

I think both Ruth and Jay Dee are spot on. Im due to finish my foundation course next week and Ive spent a lot of money on my training and on purchasing extra products. Every other night I come on to this site to catch up on threads posted to try and get some tips and advice from professionals who have much experience behind them. Some of the issues discussed are on things I havent even learned yet. Ive begun to notice people who obviously have no training asking questions on what products to use, but Ive also noticed that they quickly get told to get some training!! Well done on your to the point replies to those people.

YIKES! I want training i think....to be honest....I am now doing research and was hoping for the help of a professional...guess I am not getting the response i anticipated. I am trying to get informed so that I would know what expenses I would have to incur if I went ahead and did a course then. That was my only reason for asking. I wanted to get an idea of the costs of supplies for strickly french tips. oh well. Sorry my post brought out such opinions. BTW: Nowwhere had i seen the "by professionals for professionals." had i been aware i never would have asked a question. thank you amy!

It is very difficult to know that this site is meant for professionals, and if you do want to go on to do some training then you are in the best place for advice.

BUT, I'd agree with the guys that it would not be right for us to give online training when you haven't done the basics. As professional nail techs we are 100% concerned with the health of the natural nail and by giving tuition such as you ask for would be unethical. Like Ruth (NailsinLondon1) says, it would be like you going to a hairdressers and asking how to do a home perm or colour - I think the answer would be very similar.

The only advice I CAN give is that the only thing you could use with a white tip is some form of acrylic overlay, if you were to use any form of polish you would still have a ridge of the tip there. So why not leave it to the professionals and have a super, smashing, shiny set done for you!!

Hey, I AM NOT ASKING FOR INSTRUCTIONS! I have contacted a business about 2 hours away from me that offers a 5 day course and it would cost me nearly $1500 to complete it. So I am now hoping just to get a feel for the cost of doing strictly french tips. there is no demand for any other "fake nails" in my commuity of about 600 people. I thought it was ok to simply ask "What is the thick clear substance that you apply over french tips and the rest of your nail?" at first it was personal interest but now I am thinking of actaully doing some training. I am not going to fork over that amount of money if the cost of applying french tips is toooooo costly after i have finished training and run out of the supplies provided with such training.

Hi there mommy2calee.

I sympathise with you on the lack of advice for absoloute beginners. Perhaps if there was more advice out there, there would be less people signing up to inadequate courses. People seem to forget that they were all beginners at some time.

It souds like you are refering to the overlay. This can be comprised of gel, acrylic liquid and powder or fibre. The systems are very different and it is a matter of choice. My advice would be to try a foudation course which shows you all 3 methods than undertake full training in your chosen method.

There is no quick and easy way to train in nails and even when you have mastered your chosen technique you should then seek to obtain training in the other methods.

I think your initial query was worded funny.

Don't loose heart.
v xx

mommytocalee said:
Hey, I AM NOT ASKING FOR INSTRUCTIONS! I have contacted a business about 2 hours away from me that offers a 5 day course and it would cost me nearly $1500 to complete it. So I was hoping just to get a feel for the cost of doing strictly french tips. there is no demand for any other "fake nails" in my commuity of about 600 people. I though it was ok to simply ask "What is the thick clear substance that you apply over french tips and the rest of your nail?" then i could go back to this company and either sign up for the training or decide not to.... I am not going to fork over that amount of money if the cost of applying french tips is toooooo costly after i have finished training and run out of the supplies provided with such training.

you would be charging for the enhancements right? in that case the cost of the products would be paid for by your clients, when you run out you go and buy some more..... you will find as the rest of us did that this is an ongoing learning curve, dont think that just because you do a 5 day course that will be the end of it because it wont be! you will (hopefully anyway) be doing further training courses to learn more and improve your skills. A 5 day course WONT teach you everything you need to know!!
You will also find that strictly 'french tips' wont suit every client that you may come across, what if they have badly bitten nails? the tip would sit up near the cuticle and look horrendous!!
I would have a good read of everything on this site BEFORE you start training - at least that way you may get an idea that this isnt the business for making a quick buck, most of us spend far more than we make in the first couple of years on products and training, hence the reason that you were not given advice to do your own nails, which is how your 1st post read to me also.

Think this e-mail hits it on the nose Cheri! (and way to go for writing it!). It's just like learning to drive, as a learner your nervous, but once you pass you become in tolerant of learners, forgetting that you were once in their shoes!! Reflecting back on the posts here, it looks like the techs have been to quick to judge assuming that we are going to be DIYing it, when all we are really after is some advice on which course is what, and which product is good etc. I dont know about any other novices, but thats why i certainly joined this 'professional' site, to see what was what and to get on the best beginners course, and to become the best tech i can be without wasting my money, Learning from others mistakes if you will.

To all you techs out there, we respect what you do, hence asking for advice, and trying to do what is right. I am sure we all here have had bad experiences of DIY (Some in my case, increadably laughable!!!) we just want to know we are doing the right course, with the right product, and know we can, some day, become as experienced and as talented as you!!

Please please please dont judge us all as wanna be's!
Many thanks for all your advice and guidance. Love and hugs to you all

Tips2Toes said:
Hi there mommy2calee.

I sympathise with you on the lack of advice for absoloute beginners. Perhaps if there was more advice out there, there would be less people signing up to inadequate courses. People seem to forget that they were all beginners at some time.

It souds like you are refering to the overlay. This can be comprised of gel, acrylic liquid and powder or fibre. The systems are very different and it is a matter of choice. My advice would be to try a foudation course which shows you all 3 methods than undertake full training in your chosen method.

There is no quick and easy way to train in nails and even when you have mastered your chosen technique you should then seek to obtain training in the other methods.

I think your initial query was worded funny.

Don't loose heart.
v xx

I am not intollerant of learners, and neither are the other people who also come on here day after day giving their advice freely, and I will help anyone who wants helping. But I ain't got a ruddy crystal ball either lol!!!! If someone comes on here wanting advice about training then why not ask for it from the beginning instead of leading us a merry dance before we get to the point.

If we were intolerant of learners then we wouldn't be on here, we'd just get on with our own lives and not share experiences, and continue to learn from each other.

JMHO

mommytocalee said:
hi,

welcome to the site.......but I think you can see from this post how you gave the impression that you just wanted to do your own nails without training.

If you do want to do Training to do your own nails and even become a self employed nail technician........you should contact ALL the training establishments in your area, and compare what they offer,length of course, systems offered, costs and distance for you to travel should be taken into account as well.
Any queries about different companies can be answered on this site, and that is when you would get a lot of help and advice.
I know my geography is shocking, but where on earth is Placentia? I am really intrigued.......

Latest posts

Back