Gaining salon experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmamb

Reaction score
I've been qualified (level 3) just over a year,I'm nearly 29 and because I did a part time 'mature student' course we didn't have to do salon placement so have no experience which us why I offer mobile services.
Anyway,someone was advertising for a salon junior/trainee and she's getting back to me this week re an interview. Do you think this is the right way to go? I don't even mind doing 6 hours a week,just to get my foot in the door.

Hi

I think it will be great for building confidence and building on what u already know. I have tried many girls in the salon and tbh I prefer the girls/ladies :) with little/no experience as they are not set in another salon's ways.

I'm kinda expecting not to hear anymore but it's nice to dream isn't it lol. It just annoys me that everyone wants experienced stylists but hardly anyone is willing to let people gain the experience. I've got so much to offer and no-one gives me a chance.

hi im in the same situation i have salon experience but there are no junior jobs goin i qualified level 2 over a year ago and i had a job but they had to let me go and now i cnt seem to get my foot in the door anyway because salons either want over experience stylists or brand new trainees its very frustraiting.

I have a similar thing, i have just qualified level 2 though. Im going back in september to do my level 3 massage but was looking for something part time to try and gain some experience, but everyone i have contacted already seems to have enough staff or took on an apprentice. I guess i was just a little too late in looking. So now i am looking at offering mobile treatments to gain some experience, im just finding it very frustrating as i cant wait to get my teeth into it because i am so passionate about it, but have to wait for my certificate from college to get my insurance.

Danni, you've not had your cert yet?

with mature students due to wages etc it's difficult to get your foot in the door, (I know as I was classed at a mature student when I did my training) I worked for free for years and I was a little pushy (not too much though :) ) you gen need at least lvl 3 as lvl 2 is soooo basic. I had a lvl2 girl come and do a trial and she couldn't do a colour correctly (well she missed a slice grr) she never checked and just went to clean her things up. I went to check and was a bit pee'd off that not only did she not check but she didn't wait for me to check, and as she had washed her things up there was no colour left to apply. It may sound harsh but I wasn't the one on trial and I wanted to see how good/observant/careful she was. She didn't cut the cloth so to speak!

I'd never empty my bowl until the colour was nearly developed just cos you can't always see till it's started developing and better to be safe than sorry.
I know I have so much more to learn and my skills do need sharpening in places which is y I want to get into a salon sooner rather than later x

Hi

I enquired at college about my certificate it is the VCTC level 2 beauty therapy, and they told me i have to wait for a letter from the college to pick it up or it will come through the post, probably towards the end of the holidays.
I really am finding it frustrating because when i looked into the insurance and buying from eg.. Ellisons, they need a copy of my certificate. So i am at a loose end of waiting now. I did go for a couple of interviews but i appreciate that more experienced people were obviously chosen for the job, which is why i though i would try mobile to gain some experience, i am going to durham new college in sept to do vctc level 3 swedish massage, i am also going to do spray tanning and eyelash extensions at college this year, but im frustrated at the moment because all i can do is research on where i want to go with this, i am doing an acrylic sculptured course with en at home at the moment so at least i am getting some practice in..lol

Just keep applying for jobs, even the ones that want someone experienced and someone will give you a chance. I was in the same position as you. Finished my level 3 and needed to find a salon job. It took me 5 months.
I know it's frustrating but someone will give you a chance in the end. I would even offer to work for free for a few weeks just to gain that important experience.

Latest posts

Back