Garage conversion to home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynnieS

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks, I'm looking to convert half my garage into a nail salon and run it as a business. I live in a residential area and I have a double drive at the front of my house so customers will be able to park without bothering neighbours.

I've just contacted the council to ask advice on how to get the ball rolling in regards to building warrant etc. The delightful woman that I got on the phone said I would probably have to apply for planning permission as I'm changing part of my property to use for business and they would not look on this favourably so asked if I wanted to bother going any further?!

Can I ask if those of you who have done your conversion and run your business from home encountered the same problems? Don't know what to do now!

I run my business from home and I have converted a spare room into a salon, luckily for me I spoke to a really helpful person at the council who said if I'm changing the use of the room by just changing furniture (I.e no plumbing or addition building work required) and it can be turned back into a bedroom easily then I don't need planning permission. I only do eyelash extensions, waxing and shellac so I don't need a sink in the room.

I have converted half my garage into a salon. I phoned my local council and was told I need to apply for planning permission for change of use. Planning application is £385. I know I need to do it but keep putting it off.

Latest posts

Back