Gel ll shrinkage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
Sometimes when I do a gel ll application the colour shrinks by time I have finished all fingers and thumb on one hand. I have to quickly go over it and then quickly place their hand in the lamp (I use cnd uv lamp)

Has anyone got any advice or tips they can give to help me.

I do prep as I would a shellac application (although I do not use acetone unless they have just had a removal)

I cut and file nails, do cuticle work and apply isorophynol alcohol then wait a minute before applying the colour. I have used the gel ll solution but it happens with this also.

I also find some of the colours watery, I use a pin to stir it when I first get them, then before each time I use the I turn them upside down and rub in between palm of my hands.
Is this correct? Should I use a pin to mix before every treatment?

I Would really appreciate any help.

I find that if i gently wipe over the surface of the base coat with a lint free wipe or hard gel brush to make it less shiny then the gel does not shrink as much, it also helps the colour adhere better! Making sure the bottle is properly shaken up before use definitely helps too.
xxx

You shouldn't have to mix with a pin each time but I do hold the bottle upside down and roll vigorously each time. I found that using their dehydrator made a huge difference - I was previously using scrub fresh but the acetone in it definitely caused shrinkage. Some techs are applying gel to the tips and flash curing but I haven't needed to do this. The only other suggestion is that perhaps you should do the conversion course (if you haven't already) - you'll be able to go through the process step by step and hopefully the educator will be able to see where the problem is [emoji3]

I find that if i gently wipe over the surface of the base coat with a lint free wipe or hard gel brush to make it less shiny then the gel does not shrink as much, it also helps the colour adhere better! Making sure the bottle is properly shaken up before use definitely helps too.
xxx

I don't use a base coat with the gel ll ? I didn't think it needed one, are you mixed up with another product or do you use a base coat with the gel ll? Xx

You shouldn't need a basecoat with Gel II or to stir before every use, I use a metal spatula to stir my bottles whenthey are new or if they have been sat for a while,otherwise I roll like 80's Girl, maybe the pin isn't properly mixing everything thoroughly because it is too small?

I've only had issues twice with shrinking at the free edge,both times were one after another (best friend then MIL so was a bit more distracted than usual!) and I put that down to the first coat being too thin combined with not allowing the supershine to dry thoroughly,not had an issue since,so maybe try applying a tiny bit thicker as well and see if that helps?

I don't use a base coat with the gel ll ? I didn't think it needed one, are you mixed up with another product or do you use a base coat with the gel ll? Xx

Oops! I thought you'd make a typo and were talking about gel polish, sorry!

Try doing two fingers at a time and do the thumbs last. That's how I was trained with gel polish.

Latest posts

Back