Gel peeling with split of nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with this, I've done a set of Brisa on myself and I've noticed that on the side of my thumb nail there is a small split at the very side where either my own nail is split or the tip I put on it. Its where I've either not filed the tip in enough (although I'm pretty sure I have) or where there is no gel on my natural nail (due to the margin I have to leave).

Now the thing is... If I lift it and mess about with it (as you do when its irritating you but knowing that you shouldn't) the split grows and the gel literally splits and peels away also along the line... if that makes any sense. The nails are not soft and there is nothing wrong with my lamp so the gel is cured. Is this normal for this to happen??

Just bumping this one up incase someone can help or knows what I'm waffling about!

Hi Tamm,

I think I can help/ offer solution... I'm just a little vague as to where the split is happening...

Do you mean it's splitting at the corner of the free edge. Where the tip is blended onto the natural nail.... If there is a split here then lifting it will be putting massive stress on the enhancement, which may very well cause it to loose adhesion..

Also you mention a free margin. At this point the enhancement should be almost right down, but not quite touching... Possibly the application was a little thin. I have noticed if I don't apply enough product then it is not overly difficult to pick up an edge and cause the Gel to break free....

I hope this is helpful... It's hard to say without seeing it sometimes... lol

Thanks,

yeah... the split is where the blended tip meets the natural nail right where the stress point is of my own nails. My own nails are very thin naturally and are always splitting and peeling here - drives me insane. As far as the application goes its really difficult when you get to the point where the free edge is free away from the sidewalls when you can start capping to get enough product there without coming into contact with the skin (sorry not very good at explaining) It maybe is a little too thin as well.. but its difficult to tell unless someone sees my work.... I'll have to go on some more training next year when hopefully they will do more Brisa classes.

And yes it is very difficult to explain when you can't show someone lol!

Hi Tamm... yes, pictures would def help... but oh well...

Sounds like your nails needs a massive boost of solar oil, might even suggest using toughen up for a while... This should help with your natural nail condition

I would suggest for getting the product where you want/ need it, take a look at Geegs tutorial on brush control when using Gel... This should hopefully help, I find it's quite a transition from using L&P and then swopping to Gel... Correct use of brush ensures the strength you need (sounds easy eh...?!)

Latest posts

Back