Gel soak off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

act123

Reaction score
So whilst I was on holiday a client of mine visited another salon and they used gel II. I use CND Shellac. It normally takes me 15 mins to soak this off but when I tried to remove my clients gel from another salon it took 40 minutes!! I use acetone and wrap in foil.

What did I do wrong ?
Does gel normally take this long?
Is there a special remover for gel?

Thanks

Gel II topcoat needs to ge buffed before soaking, then it comes of in about 10 minutes - I use both brands daily

You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, this should be a good opportunity to solidify your business with this client.

If you are using Shellac, as a system with the base/top and CND LED light, then you know how easy it comes off of the nails. Clients like to try out different salons thinking that the gel polish is all the same but that's so far from the truth, as you can see. Ive actually developed hand pains from removing other NTs work. And in all honesty, its not even worth the money.

Its good practice to charge the client an extra fee for when they get their gels done elsewhere. Let the client know that gels are not all the same so that you can keep her business.

To remove gel polish that isn't shellac, file off the top layer without filing into the real nail, use a small amount of cotton and acetone--if you use too much cotton then the gels have a harder time coming off, soak for 8-15mins.

Last edited:
You usually have to break the seal for Gel II. Also use the remover for that brand. Adding a little heat can also help speed up removal

Uggh i hate removing other NT's work. You can just never be sure what it is.

As said previously, i file over the top coat to break the seal, wrap with acetone for 10 mins and place a towel over the client's hands. Usually this does the trick or on checking it looks like it's nearly there. I've had some that needed fully filing off and one that wouldn't budge for love or money.

Latest posts

Back