Getting in a bit of a mess with waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi
I've just stated waxing and I'm getting into a bit of a mess with the wax. I'm getting wax absolutely everywhere and sticking to my gloves, dripping all over the place. I forgot everything I was taught. Also what I am finding strange is that when I get to the leg the wax will not spread properly it goes hard, not sure if it's because the room is very cold? I'm using strip wax.
Some advice would be very helpful :)

Go back to basics. Check your wax is at the correct temperature, and keep your room warm, you need to your clients to be comfortable and also if very cold it will be more painful. Keep your wax pot as close as possible to the client. When moving between the pot and client spin the spatula in your hand to stop the wax dripping.

Advice as pure says and also...

1. Make sure you are leaving a good inch at the end of your strip wax-free and only hold it here when using again. This was the most common reason with my students for ending up all sticky

2. Make sure you haven't left any wax on the skin before doing the next section otherwise you'll put your hand on it and hence gloves get sticky

Thankyou guys. The room is cold/freezing the radiator isn't working will tell my boss to get a little heater. The wax pot is far from the bed on a unit the bed will have to be moved by the time I'm getting to the leg the wax will not spread properly and it's gotten my a bit panicked.

Use a wax roller. They are a godsend and no more spillages :D

Hi
I've just stated waxing and I'm getting into a bit of a mess with the wax. I'm getting wax absolutely everywhere and sticking to my gloves, dripping all over the place. I forgot everything I was taught. Also what I am finding strange is that when I get to the leg the wax will not spread properly it goes hard, not sure if it's because the room is very cold? I'm using strip wax.
Some advice would be very helpful :)

I've just started waxing and I'm the same! I try to spin the spatula and then sometimes get side tracked with thinking about what I need to do next and drop wax everywhere!

Glad it's not just me. Then I get in a panic and it gets worse!

When I have a quiet moment I sometimes just go into the wax room and practice the spinning whilst talking to my boss or something just to get used to it lol

I'm told practice makea perfect, and once you've got your confidence up its easier... Heres hoping!

Good luck x

It can be helpful to have your wax pot on a trolley so you can move it around the bed with you. Tie a fresh bin bag to the trolley for each client and then it's easy to throw your used strips away too.

The room you use must be warm enough so the wax doesn't cool but also so your poor client doesn't freeze.

Dip half your spatula, scrape one side on the wax bar and spin your spatula until you are ready to spread it on the client. If you feel like its going to drip keep your other hand underneath. This will stop it getting over the trolley, bed, floor, etc.

Apply wax all over one area you are working on, such as front lower leg, then remove all of it before you move on.

Use a little oil on your hands/gloves if they get sticky.

If you have dripped some wax on the couch, cover it with a clean wax strip or piece of couch roll so your client doesn't accidentally roll in it.

While your client is dressing clear up your bed and wipe over your wax pot. It's easier to clean if you do it straight away.

Don't worry, you will get there in no time! Xx

It can be helpful to have your wax pot on a trolley so you can move it around the bed with you. Tie a fresh bin bag to the trolley for each client and then it's easy to throw your used strips away too.

The room you use must be warm enough so the wax doesn't cool but also so your poor client doesn't freeze.

Dip half your spatula, scrape one side on the wax bar and spin your spatula until you are ready to spread it on the client. If you feel like its going to drip keep your other hand underneath. This will stop it getting over the trolley, bed, floor, etc.

Apply wax all over one area you are working on, such as front lower leg, then remove all of it before you move on.

Use a little oil on your hands/gloves if they get sticky.

If you have dripped some wax on the couch, cover it with a clean wax strip or piece of couch roll so your client doesn't accidentally roll in it.

While your client is dressing clear up your bed and wipe over your wax pot. It's easier to clean if you do it straight away.

Don't worry, you will get there in no time! Xx

I agree that the room must be warm or the wax will get hard and very difficult to remove. Ends up sticking to the leg. I always notice it happens if it's cold or the clients legs are cold so just a little one to watch out for. I use roller wax too but as you're only new to it you will of been thought to use spatula as were we all. you will get there. Took me a long time to master the spatula technique but practice makes perfect.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have since left that place and start a new job next week. In a much more professional salon. I will be waxing and a bit nervous as I haven't done it for a few weeks it's going to be like starting all over again. I hope I get the hang of it, the pot is on a trolley and the room is heated. :)

Fab. I'm sure you'll be flying through it in no time! X

Latest posts

Back