Good opportunity or not???? - Space in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Nougat*

Reaction score
I qualified in manicures, pedicures and acrylic nails in 2006 but still really consider myself a newbie as i only ever did friends every now and then and myself after college up until now.

I have recently moved area and been offered the chance to 'rent a desk'.
I went to see the salon owner (who is very lovely) and she seems willing to help me. i explained to her i have just moved here and dont know anyone yet so i would be worried about meeting the daily rent (£20). So she has agreed to do a % basis with me. She has offered me 50-50 with her supplying the products. (The salons choice of products) I will not just be doing nails, i am also qualified in eye treatments and makeup so will be offering these to and anything else i want to train in.

She has also agreed to pay for any additional products, half for advertising and half for any training courses i want to go on.

The only thing is... I need a regular income. I have managed to get a part time evening bar job in a local hotel which i will keep but that could be 2 nights a week or maybe 5, but its unpredictable!!!

I thought i also could offer mobile (acrylics only) ( i dont drive yet but its a very small town i live in) but would this be seen as conflicting??

I can also claim tax credits bt in order to do this i need to provide them with an estimate for both jobs per annum :rolleyes:

What do you think??? Is this the way to go??? I think in the long run this will be a good way for me to train in some new treatments and perfect my skills and get some more experience..

does anyone have any advice on how to work out a rough estimate as i have no idea at the begining what i will be taking!?

Any advice/opions much appreciated!!:green:

Thanks xx

Last edited:
The £20 a day is very resonable, however going 50/50 seems a little high to me but if your ok with her being involved in all your descions thats fine.

You need to remember that you won't have a chocie of product - as she is supplying it, therefore the training courses she is paying 50% of will be limited.

It seems to me your being self-employed but under employed restrictions.

However if you think of all the negatives and the positives outweigh it in your mind go for it!

I would think about driving as it means you can spread your wings to further regions.

Its all well and good her saying all this and the two of you agreeing but contracts need to be drawn up to protect both of you. You need to find out what kinds of advertising she is willing to do.

HTH

Becki xxx

Hi Becki

Thanks for your reply.

She said she would also pay half for any further training i want to take on eg. waxing/spray tanning but i see where your coming from by me using her choice of products.

I definately am looking towards driving, i had lessons last year but gave up stupidly! i just need a regular income now to fund them. I just thought maybe this would be a good starting point experience wise and to have work people to interact with which i havnt had before (salon side of things)

The hotel i work in want me to take on a reception job which is 3 days a week, so i may take that and keep the bar shifts as and when, and go 2-3 days in the salon. that way im guarenteed more of a permanent wage. alhough i will still be putting my all into the salon as this is ultimately what i want to do.

The kind of advertising she mentioned was an advert in the local paper and i said to her about leaflet drops and also client loyalty cards.

Anyone one else with any thoughts on this? :)

when i first started i pretty much did the same thing, didn't pay rent but agreed 60/40% to the owner.
I was head over heels with excitement and didnt think it through very well, i ended up with own brand wholesalers product ranges, nothing to promote or sell.
Training that i had shown interest in was always postponed because it was either too expensive or wasnt a suitable time for me to be out of the salon.
Very small amount of advertising,and when a promo night was done at the salon i ended up doing all the work and didnt receive a penny.
With hindsight i should have insisted on contracts being drawn up and maybe a trial period with a review to ensure what had been agreed was working for both me and the owner.
There were days when i felt my own personal time cost more to me than what i had earned for the day, by the time you deduct the owners percentage,tax and your lunch or petrol etc it wasnt worth me being there.

In my case the lack of contract worked out well, it meant i could give notice to my clients and leave without having to agree this with the owner or have the issue of not being able to work within a certain distance of the salon etc.

Make sure you dont rush into it and all bases are covered, agree sick pay/days,annual leave,maybe a trial period say 4-6 months or just agree a review to be done on a certain date.

It can work out well as long as you are clear with the owner from day one,and both parties have a full understanding of each others needs and wants and are fair with each other.

Good Luck! x

Latest posts

Back