Greasy hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigglyb4ll

Reaction score
Hey geeks,
Need your advice.
My daughter (10yrs) has hit puberty and with it comes the most greasy hair :/
It's greasy as soon as its washed!
Any ideas/tips how I can stop her looking like she fell in a chip pan?

Thank you xx

What shampoo is she using?

Paul Mitchell shampoo is nice try PM2

Hey geeks,
Need your advice.
My daughter (10yrs) has hit puberty and with it comes the most greasy hair :/
It's greasy as soon as its washed!
Any ideas/tips how I can stop her looking like she fell in a chip pan?

Thank you xx

Hiya!
Make sure she Shampoos her hair twice, and that conditioner goes only on the ends. And rinses very well.
And dry shampoo :)

She just uses loreal elvive for greasy hair but I'm happy to try any! X

Diet also effects it and make sure she is washing her hands > and not touching her hair and transferring the grease

She just uses loreal elvive for greasy hair but I'm happy to try any! X

A lot of over the counter shampoos are very "heavy" and full of horrible cheap silicone that over time coats the hair massively.

Iv not used PM for ages as I'm not in a salon is pop into a salon that stocks it and they should be able to recommend which ones best

Kerestase 'dry ends, oily roots' is goof

Try a clarifying shampoo maybe? I just tried the mane and tail one, cuts right through grease but doesn't dry out the hair, I love it

Thanks, I'll give it a try xx

Use BC deep cleanse shampoo (u can get it in sallys). Make sure it lathers, if not rinse and repeat. Avoid conditioner unless using just in the ends of the hair. Use cooler water as hotter water will cause the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. Do not massage the scalp too much either when washing as this will have the same effect. Good luck x

I would try Johnson's baby shampoo. It PH balanced so should balance out the oils as much as possible. I use this on my 12 year old sisters hair when she has a dry scalp :) don't have to use it all the time. Just enough to control it then maybe every other time :)

Like others said, cold water and conditioner only on the ends :) but deff try baby shampoo before going and buying expensive brands that might not work. A diet aswell can cause greasy hair.

Hope that helps :) xx

Dont try baby shampoo, it ruins your hair! I have greasy hair and I use moroccan oil shampoo, it took about a week before I didn't look like i'd stuck my head in a chip pan. I can now go 2 days without washing with a bit of dry shampoo :) x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would try Johnson's baby shampoo. It PH balanced so should balance out the oils as much as possible. I use this on my 12 year old sisters hair when she has a dry scalp :) don't have to use it all the time. Just enough to control it then maybe every other time :)

Like others said, cold water and conditioner only on the ends :) but deff try baby shampoo before going and buying expensive brands that might not work. A diet aswell can cause greasy hair.

Sorry have to disagree with your advice,

Johnson's baby is awful and balanced for your eyes at a 7 so is very damaging to hair and skin.

Make sure you're not washing daily... The more you wash the greasier it will go, it's catch 22 as you're massaging the sebaceous glands to produce sebum (grease) so stick to every 2-3 days 2 shampoos and 1 conditioner, joico daily care or bodylux is what I would recommend, lightweight and ph balanced. Shampoo scalp not the hair to remove any dirt, derby and product. Small amount of conditioner ends only and comb through... Do not put on roots as not needed there and will go greasy quicker.

Also is she washing it herself? Most girls go through this as they don't wash it properly, especially if its thick hair. So it's not greasy after being washed its still dirty, or they don't rinse the conditioner well enough so its clean but has conditioner still on it, so when you think its rinsed keep rinsing for another minute to make sure.

Are you putting any oils on it? Like argon or Moroccan or serum or anything thick like that? Again could be too much or too heavy for her hair. And if used wrongly again will make it greasy

When it's washed at the salon how long does it last?

There's some brilliant advice here, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!
I think we've been doing everything wrong lol
So as of tomorrow I'll help her wash her hair to make sure she's doing it right and follow all the advice you've given.

Thank you!!
I'll report back lol xxx

Well it depends on the condition of the hair already, what might work for one person might not for another. You'll probably find that the shampoos you buy in supermarkets are a lot higher in either acidic or alkaline rather than baby shampoo which is a 7. Supermarket shampoos are full of silicone. Which would just coat a film on the hair which is probably a factor that the daughters hair is getting greasy. You need to brake down the film. Hence why using something like that would help to begin with and then start using something to maintain it.

And keep a detangle comb in shower and comb the conditioner through will help with tugs

Well it depends on the condition of the hair already, what might work for one person might not for another. You'll probably find that the shampoos you buy in supermarkets are a lot higher in either acidic or alkaline rather than baby shampoo which is a 7. Supermarket shampoos are full of silicone. Which would just coat a film on the hair which is probably a factor that the daughters hair is getting greasy. You need to brake down the film. Hence why using something like that would help to begin with and then start using something to maintain it.

Johnson's is a supermarket shampoo which will also be full of silicone and ph 7 is too high as hair and skin are 4.5-5.5, so i urge you to refrain from advising this to your ladies as it's not great advise :( salon pro always xx

Johnson's is a supermarket shampoo which will also be full of silicone and ph 7 is too high as hair and skin are 4.5-5.5, so i urge you to refrain from advising this to your ladies as it's not great advise :( salon pro always xx

I don't 'advise' my clients to use this. I was just saying my opinion from past experiences from my sisters hair. What do you think the average person uses on there hair? Maybe herbal essences? Maybe dove? There no better than a baby shampoo. If it's good enough for baby's hair then I'm sure it's ok to use as a one off.

People are so vicious on here. I can see why people don't want to write things on here and give up using it.

I don't 'advise' my clients to use this. I was just saying my opinion from past experiences from my sisters hair. What do you think the average person uses on there hair? Maybe herbal essences? Maybe dove? There no better than a baby shampoo. If it's good enough for baby's hair then I'm sure it's ok to use as a one off.

People are so vicious on here. I can see why people don't want to write things on here and give up using it.

Why Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo is Not for Babies

This isn't a complete study but i know they are out there, this doesn't mention which chemical numbs the babies eyes so they dont sting. It may be worldwide and often free in our baby packs but it always made my children's skin flare up so i didnt use it.

Latest posts

Back