Green tan, mortified!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari123

Reaction score
Hi I'm after some advice. I'm newly qualified therapist and done a handful of spray tans on family and friends since my training. I've gone to do 3 clients today (2 new) and upon pouring solution into the cup I looks green. I tried shaking bottles and even stirring it in the cup I thought it may of been as tan hasn't been used for a couple of months. Even tried spraying it through the machine to see if it would be ok but nope bright green. I was mortified!! I apologised and said I wouldn't risk putting it on the client skin through the fear of her waking up following morning looking like Shrek. (Lucky I knew the girl and other two where her friends) but I was so embarrassed and thought makes me look totally unprofessional. anyone advise why this would of gone like that some where nearly full bottles. I have bottles of Sienna X and bottles of Suntana all the same. Thanks

Have they all gone like it? This maybe due to a number of things, heat, being opened and getting in, past the date. I've been spray tanning for years and only had this problem once! If they are new bottles I would complain and send them back, on the back they should have a sell by date as such. I only do small orders unless it's Christmas etc I do a huge order to stop the chance of them turning x

I think it's because The red pigments not as stable as green, brown is red & green so when the red fades you get green.

It could happen to anyone. I'd just order a smaller size bottle so you use it up in future.

I've had the bottles for near on a year I'd say as didn't start using them straight away and like I said only used a few bottles a hand full of times. Only thing I can think of is where I live is very warm even with no heating on and pipes heat up under my flooring. My tanning kit is in a case under my stairs so maybe the heat from the floor turned it. I decided to be Guinea pig and spray the inside on my lower arm in front of the girls to see if it would actually dye the skin green (at this point I wasn't sure) today I've woke up and it's brown so it's not affected the end result but obviously myself and client were bit scared to be sprayed with green solution so I won't be able to use it. There only small bottles but some spare still full so bit gutted. Oh well I'll have to store the differently to avoid this again. How do you girls store you solutions? Thanks

Most solutions have a shelf life of 12 month, 6 month if opened. It needs to be stored some where dark away from heat and sunlight. I keep mine in a cupboard but some people keep in the fridge xx

It doesn't affect the actual end result, but obviously shouldn't really be used on clients as it's not a great look for them walking away green! I store mine in the fridge, makes a massive difference.

I think your storage of under the stairs and heating could be the culprit.
I wouldn't use this on a client.

I use tans up to a year or more expired on myself and my sister (non paying) but not on actual clients ever. I do find expired tan does work however the colour doesn't lay the full 2 weeks, it wears off quicker.
Not sure if it is just with my brand I use , but I have fired several and the same thing happens.

I live in Africa so what our supplier suggests is once opened to store in the fridge. As our summer days get up to 40def Celcius plus humidity which kills everything from ppl to products hahahaha ! And to keep them in cool or fridge keeps them pretty nicely .

Latest posts

Back