Grey becoming more resistant !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callum91

Reaction score
Hi,

Normally colour my mums hair @home - TSEC bleach , and
Wella KP 5/73 all over .
Process for 35mins.
This normally covers her grey well and hardly fades.

But the past few times, coverage doesn't seem as great.

Today it's even worse, and the colour on the root area (just did foil & root today) is almost see through :-(

I think her hair is becoming more and more resistant :-/
Would you recommend adding 5/0 for extra grey coverage?

Also, she feels it's a little too hilighted now, so can someone recommend a nice formula (pref with 5/73 ) that I can put in some foils, just to break up this blondeness?
(I used to use Wella orange mixtone mixed in to repig the hair other times when she felt too blonde) am completely open to suggestions!
Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
Id use wella kp intense range as these are formulated for grey so id use half 55/0 and half 5/73..this should do the trick!
What % peroxide are you using?
I sometimes drop down to 3% on really stubborn hair as this is great for covering grey but be aware using 3% will make the colour darker so you may want to go up a shade!

You could also presoften the hair using neat 20vol before hand and dry it into the hair.
The apply target shade.
:) xx

Pip, I wasn't aware Wella did an intense range- I must walk round Sally's with my eyes shut lol.
I do normally use 3% but I conveniently ran out so I used 6% figured this could only help lift resistant hair but not in this case. ;(
Thank you, will look for Intense & 55/0 :)

Sarah Clancy- we used to dry neat developer into the hair at college.
But one day I got it on my hand whilst closing the lid and didn't like that it turned my hand white. :lol: I've never done it since :XD: but it's something I may dare to try again, thank you :)

If you mix 55/0 with 5/73 it will dilute the double base, and the tone.
I'd mix it up with the 55/0 and mixtones,
so 30mls 55/0, 2cm of each /45, /43, /33, and 1cm of 0/66.
Then as there's added gold, and extra cm of /33

Also, I'd maybe fo 3/4 55/0 to 1/4 66/0 just so it's not asdark, and go gradually slightly lighter as when we go greyer our skin tones changing too and too dark a colour isn't flattering:)

Also, I'd maybe fo 3/4 55/0 to 1/4 66/0 just so it's not asdark, and go gradually slightly lighter as when we go greyer our skin tones changing too and too dark a colour isn't flattering:)

Crikey! That's quite a bit of work, but you obviously know your stuff. I'm impressed.

If it was me though, I'd simply move her onto either Matrix Dream.Age or L'Oreal Supreme. Both lines are specifically formulated to cover 100% of white without having to mix any base in to the colour. You choose your shade and apply. Easy peezy. Something like a 5M or 6BC in Dreamage would be lovely. Less stock to buy too. :o

Wow :eek: You do know your stuff indeed!
I think I may have to do the 1/4 66/0 , and gradually increase it over time thank you :)

Crikey! That's quite a bit of work, but you obviously know your stuff. I'm impressed.

If it was me though, I'd simply move her onto either Matrix Dream.Age or L'Oreal Supreme. Both lines are specifically formulated to cover 100% of white without having to mix any base in to the colour. You choose your shade and apply. Easy peezy. Something like a 5M or 6BC in Dreamage would be lovely. Less stock to buy too. :o
We don't have anywhere that sells Matrix round here - Only Sallys and Phoenix - I like to look at the shade chart so I feel I couldn't just buy it online :lol:

How's the idea of my foils btw?
Just some of the orange mixtone mixed in, or is that wrong? >_<
Would ColourTouch in 5/73 be better / work well for her hair, or would it need some mixtone too?

Thanks all :)

Pip, I wasn't aware Wella did an intense range- I must walk round Sally's with my eyes shut lol.
I do normally use 3% but I conveniently ran out so I used 6% figured this could only help lift resistant hair but not in this case. ;(
Thank you, will look for Intense & 55/0 :)

haha im sure its been right in front of you but as you wernt looking for it you didnt notice :lol: ...its gives really good coverage on grey....i usually use it with 6%....unless hair is really resistant then id use 3% and use one shade lighter.

I hate supreme but love dreamage!! It's amazing I did 6m with a hint of red socolor it easca beautiful rich velvet :) x

Latest posts

Back