Hair extensions training, not a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy1984

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here :biggrin:

I'm looking for some advice please, I want to do some training for hair extensions, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good reputable courses where you didn't need to be a hair dresser qualified. There are so many out there its a bit of a minefield!

Any opinions would be welcomed please

thank you xx

Hi if you are interested in hair why not train to be a hairdresser before doing extensions....?
Do you think by training to do extensions you learn all about the hair structure etc? How will you know how to assess the hair condition blah blah. I could go on but I wont.
I hope this doesn't come across as mean as its not intended that way :) I'm a hairdresser and extension technician and i'm pleased I have done both so I can provide a better service for my clients and not damage the hair as I know what i'm doing. Unlike many other tech's (not all mind so don't bite me).
When I did my training it was a 2 day course for extensions yet hairdressing was 3 years at college. Do you think you can provide a service with no damage if all you have is 2 days training......?

I can understand where Moobar is coming from, how ever Lush Us offer one day training in two methods for those wishing to learn extensions without being a qualified hairdresser. They are on hand afterwards if you need advice too. Look on the website for the details of dates and prices.

I agree with moobar, these courses as stated before when they get the HABIA creditation it is with trained hairdressers adding to their continuous professional development in mind. NOT untrained wanna be extensionists this is why the course will never cover the basic of hair structure scalp etc.

:grr::grr:

I too am thinking about doing a hair extension course although I don't have any hair qualifIcations I believe that if this is something which I aspire to do then i have every intention to doing it in the most professional manner as possible .. I feel that too many people are quick off the mark to judge if you do not have any previous experience of hair.. I've recently been to a top end salon that couldn't even cut my hair properly but who's to say that the girl could not be fantastic at extensions.

I have trained in eyelash extension but I'm not beauty qualified and I can guarantee if you seen my work compared to someone who does them once in a blue moon but has many qualifications you'd come too me ..

I agree that to cut and style would offer an enhanced service but just remembered that there is QUALIFIED cowboys out there too that would use cheaper brands and products..

If you apply extensions to hair or scalp that should not have extensions applied hair can be lost permanently.
If extensions are applied incorrectly hair can be lost permanently.
If hair extensions are removed incorrectly hair can be lost permanently.

I dont think having a bad cut at a salon compares to the distress this can cause to clients.

This basic knowledge and understanding of hair can not be taught in 3 days , not 3 weeks !

Its just a farce !

If anything happens and you are not a 'professional' the law comes down on the side of the consumer everytime.

I'm gonna pull your teeth out but I'm
Not a dentist!!

Hello....this is killing the industry! And devaluing the service as your not qualified so somehow you charge less than us qualified stylist, the client comes to us when their hair gets messed up and think we are over charging to correct a badly and cheaply done job.

sorry this is not a personal go at you just as a generalization, it's beginning to really wind me up. X

I'm sorry I have to agree on both parts! I have had crap cuts and colours which inspired me to get into this industry..... But it's the same as every trade u get cowboy builders too. I really get that there are great extensionists out there that are not hairdressers but personally for me I just wouldn't let anyone touch my hair if they weren't a hairdresser!
I let a bloke who knew about mechanics look at my car a few years ago, well he cost me £300 worth of damage!..... Now the damage for could an be permanent could u imagine loosing your hair????

Apart from the obvious what additional training do you receive as a trained hairdresser??

Some people have a natural talent .. Some people train and still pass but are not so good .. Do you know where I'm coming from not looking to start an argument .. But if people are willing to train in a specific area invest money on good products what are they doing wrong .. Maybe they can't cut etc but the training regardless of day courses should cover basics .. I would only ever train by the best hence the reason I come on this site and would only use the best products so please tell me whatbi would be doing wrong ..

Apart from the obvious what additional training do you receive as a trained hairdresser??

Some people have a natural talent .. Some people train and still pass but are not so good .. Do you know where I'm coming from not looking to start an argument .. But if people are willing to train in a specific area invest money on good products what are they doing wrong .. Maybe they can't cut etc but the training regardless of day courses should cover basics .. I would only ever train by the best hence the reason I come on this site and would only use the best products so please tell me whatbi would be doing wrong ..

Gaaah this argument is everywhere and is boring me now!

I think what the above posters mean is extensive knowledge of contra indications which the courses cover so basic it's laughable!! This is we're you can ruin the hair and get sued for all your worth so it's in your best interest to know more even if you don't plan on getting a qualification.

Also you can't compare years of knowledge to a one day course. I mean it's one thing of you took a course and them maybe followed a mentor and learned on your own beyond the course but it still wouldn't be the same entirely.

Hairdressing courses go into detail on many things extension courses couldn't touch in a day like scalp conditions, sectioning and just general hair behaviour and texture so you know how it will be able to take the extra weight of hair extensions and many other little things i couldn't begin to explain here. They briefly touch on this in extension courses but to really understand someone's hair structure and the condition of their hair takes time.

Above that there is also the fact that hairdressers spend years perfecting their cutting techniques and learn how to cut hair to suit your particular face shape for example, something they do not really cover in the extension courses were they razor off a bit of hair in the same shape every time. You really think you can cut hair after 15 minutes without extra practice or anything? How can that even compare to a week cutting course? At least that goes into some detail but the cutting section in most extension courses are atrocious! Then think that most hairdressing courses are for more than a year at least so of course that knowledge and practice will be of great help to know how to blend and cut the hair properly.

By knowing these different things and that all hair is different, you also know that certain things would not be suitable for them like micro rings on overly greasy hair. If people knew this we would perhaps not have posts saying "why oh why are my micro rings slipping all the time".

By having extensive knowledge of hair textures and contra indications it will make you a better Extensionist as you know why the same treatment might come out different on different people and you can give a better service by suggesting the most suitable method. There is no way a one day course can cover all of that and there is also no way this post can even begin to touch on the other things they learn that you probably didn't.

Last edited:
how many times is this debate going to occur!

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

As many times as is needed until it sinks in maybe ?

I am also bored of repeating myself but my opinion and position will never change.

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

With the utmost respect Luce, perhaps the way you post across your opinion is why it isn't getting across :(

I am a qualified extensions technician, trained with Lush-Us and KNOW that, as I am not a hairdresser, it will be merely the beginning of my education and that I will have to do several more courses and years of learning before i can feel I have an in depth knowledge.

I am also a qualified and competant nail technician - I trained with the "dreaded" essential nails, the place that gets the grief for allowing anyone to pass and not being good enough because it isn't a "proper" course.

I know it is frustrating for hair pros who have spent years and thousands of pounds honing their skills to be the best at what they do but please, please could people occasionally stop to think that there are students/newly qualified techs who have the PASSION to become great at what they do and the common sense to know that Rome wasn't built in a day xxx

As many times as is needed until it sinks in maybe ?

I am also bored of repeating myself but my opinion and position will never change.

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

I think a lot of people are bored of it. I cant recall anyone asking you to change your opinion or position. Perhaps you could rethink the way you post. People ask for advice not a rant.

I did not post this topic but I am allowed to post MY opinion , if people wish to take it the wrong way then so be it.You may call it ranting i call it being passionate about my trade :)

I was an unqualified hair extensionist before i qualified as a hairdresser , so i feel like i can particularly comment upon this topic, now as a hairdresser i realise how much i was risking .
I am not slamming unqulalified hair extensionists just trying to persuade them how much more they can be , how much better their service can be by adding to their education.
By training thoroughly and maintaing cpd there are no losers only winners this is one of the things i truely love about hair is you never know it all and there is still much to learn whether you have been in the trade 5 years or 25 years.

Rant over x

Last edited:
This is a forum !!! I am allowed to post MY opinion , if people wish to take it the wrong way then so be it.
You may call it ranting i call it being passionate about my trade.
I was an unqualified hair extensionist before i qualified as a hairdresser , so i feel like i can particularly comment upon this topic, now as a hairdresser i realise how much i was risking .
I am not slamming unqulalified hair extensionists just trying to persuade them how much more they can be , how much better their service can be by adding to their education.
By training thoroughly and maintaing cpd there are no losers only winners this is one of the things i truely love about hair is you never know it all and there is still much to learn whether you have been in the trade 5 years or 25 years.

Your opinion or advice neither bothers or applies to me i was simply stating that the same old rants are posted almost every day. And sometimes not in the best of taste. I aware its a forum. And whilst i respect and understand your opinion, i believe a bit of grace and tact can go a long way. Educate yes. But children don't listen to shouting. And i think this applies here! That would be my opinion.

Personally, I don't see anyone having a "rant" I just see frustration...And rightly so. I had a young girl sat in my chair completely bald from the ears down..from hair exts.. It was so horrific, I was nearly in tears!

Done by a non hairdresser.

When you see people like this pass through the door it does make you very angry.. A perfectly good head of hair ruined that will take years to re-cover. When she approached the 'extentionist' she wasn't given any advice.. Because the 'professional' was clueless.

As for the bad qualified stylists out there.. My opinion on that is, everyone remembers THAT bad hairdo! Lol! I'm a hairdresser and have had my fringe cut just that bit too short by a colleague before. But burnt scalps.. Baldness.. I'd say a big majority of those cases are done by the under-qualified.

I respect everyones opinion on the subject and can see it from all angles.

I am a qualified extension technician but not a qualified hairdresser. Hairdressing is not an option for me at present - I don't drive and my nearest college offering the course is approx 75-100 mile round trip and with 2 kids to get to school and a sick hubby to look after it just isn't do-able :(

But that doesn't prevent me wanting to enhance my education further - cutting courses for extensions, VTCT when it is launched next year and so on :D xx

I am a qualified extension technician but not a qualified hairdresser. Hairdressing is not an option for me at present - I don't drive and my nearest college offering the course is approx 75-100 mile round trip and with 2 kids to get to school and a sick hubby to look after it just isn't do-able :(

But that doesn't prevent me wanting to enhance my education further - cutting courses for extensions, VTCT when it is launched next year and so on :D xx

Good for you hun. Wish the best in whatever you decide for your.future. Extend your talents xxx

Where will you have to go to do that course then?

Latest posts

Back