Hair thinner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oasis

Nail Mad
Reaction score
I wonder if someone can finally help me with this. - I used to have really thick hair, when I got to about 18 I had a really stressful time and my hair started to thin, it's never gone back the same and I wondered if this is normal.
It didn't fall out or have bald patches, just an overall thinning and I probably have about a third of the hair I used to have. I was looking at some old photos the other day and really notice the extent of it. I've done loads of research and just can't find an answer.
Has anyone come across this before? Is it possible to get my hair back to how it was?
It also used to be wavy and is now completely straight. I wouldn't have thought that was even possible but it is.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Xxxx

Hair can change, get thin or thicken. Curl or go straight for a number of factors,

Stress ( as you've discovered)
Change in medication,

Child birth this can cause hair loss for a few yrs after your child is born

Menopause (anything can happen, turns straight, curly, wirery, sheds, thickens, each person is different)

And hair abuse can cause it to thin.

I don't know your age now or how long it's been shedding but the hair has cycles

Anagen stage, where you hair continues to grow can be from 2-6 yrs..

Catagen stage, where your hair totally stops growing for about a month or so, this stage regenerates the new hairs.

Then the Telogen stage, you will shed 100's and 100's of hairs a day for about 4 months. And the whole cycle starts again...

If it's more stress related, it can take a few yrs to recover :-(

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

My hair thinned out from being thicker,better structure etc in my teens-early 20's, noticeable by my mid 20's+. So I kept getting it shorter & shorter,its curly too & the curls were not as nice as they were back then. I had it down to my ass,all curly & nice in my teens-early 20's & by 30 It was drab & lame so I chopped it to a funky anime style & dyed it red. That was awesome from black,long & curly! I have it just below shoulders now & the curls are nice again & the density is more than when it was long going lame in mid 20's.

Seems if you have had your hair long for many years, it just gets lame & needs a fresh start as we lose 75-150 hairs/day which takes time to grow long again if hair is long to start with.Maybe a good chop & new style will even out new hairs replacing the 75-150/day shed to a more even length.

Hair does odd things, mine was straight as a child,shaved it short @ 14 & it grew back super curly!Heres my hair log from 20's-now....goodluck!

Attachments

• early 20's.jpg
    early 20's.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 30 anime.jpg
    30 anime.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 47
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks ladies, you've made me feel so much better, I will think about a new style, I must admit I'm very nervous about chopping my hair off. Lol, a new colour could be good though. I'm loving these ombré colours at the mo. Xxx

Latest posts

Back