Hairdresser suffering with anxiety

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starboltz

Reaction score
As someone who suffers with anxiety, I've always wanted to hear from other hairdressers with the same problem.

I have anxiety daily, and not just 'normal' anxiety most people get now and again.

Do you find it affects you much in the salon? Sometimes I feel like it holds me back a lot, and would love some suggestions from you guys :)

I've never suffered personally and I hope the salon you work in supports you and helps you as I can see it would be hard especially when busy! (Sorry if I've not worded that in the right way) do you suffer more when it's a new client rather than a regular or are you the same with them both?

As someone who suffers with anxiety, I've always wanted to hear from other hairdressers with the same problem.

I have anxiety daily, and not just 'normal' anxiety most people get now and again.

Do you find it affects you much in the salon? Sometimes I feel like it holds me back a lot, and would love some suggestions from you guys :)
If you haven't already, it might be worth asking your GP for a referral to this full support plan -

http://serene.me.uk

I suffered from bad anxiety when I worked in the salon and it was horrible. I used to get panic attacks when I was cutting hair! The girls in the salon weren't very supportive and just didn't understand what I was going through. It all started because the atmosphere between the girls in the salon was terrible. It was like a school playground. One girl in particular thought I was crazy and didn't understand (she later on contacted me apologising as she now suffers with it, that's karma!) I couldn't take it anymore and left the salon! My anxiety almost immediately disappeared. I had a few times when I would experience it again but I can now say that I don't suffer with it anymore. So mine was down to the salon. I hope the girls you work with are supportive and help you as much as they can x

I've suffered quite a bit for the last 7 years with anxiety, it's an awful thing. I've been to the doctors and spoken to counsellors. How do you deal with yours? What triggers it?

I'm on medication and I've been treating it for years. Sometimes though, I start letting it get to me and occasionally it can knock my confidence behind the chair :/

With ng s worse than having an anxious day, but putting on a fake smile all day

It's such a big thing isn't it. It can crush you if it takes over. I never slept for nearly 2 years and I'm honestly not exaggerating. I found reading about it helped me. Almost like having knowledge about it and reading about others with it gave me more confidence about dealing with it.

Thanks for sharing your stories guys and sorry to hear how you have been affected by this. My friend was giving me a treatment the other day and had an attack in the middle of my pedicure. She has them every month (especially around the times when she’s tired) and started shaking which I hadn’t seen before. She has not always had anxiety, only the past few years. She too has found that it knocks her confidence and finds it hard to conceal it with a smile.

She works in an office during the week and on weekends is a mobile nail tech, so it’s hard for her to hide it from colleagues and clients. She finds yoga and deep breathing cycles helpful. I tried the breathing for myself once to help me understand a little more about what she was going through, and it sent me straight to sleep! Lol. It must be working for her too, but I know every time an attack happens I support her.

I've got generalised anxiety disorder had it since I was a teenager I just try to think positive when ever I start feeling anxious. Have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy that helped me it teaches you how to deal with things

Latest posts

Back