Hairstylist stereotypes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleyatbrushed

Reaction score
Is anyone else being treated with kid gloves because of your job? I am constantly being told how to make business decisions and what is best for me and my salon. I feel like people automatically think I must not be smart since I "just do hair". It's like being a hairdresser is only a side job or a backup. I don't understand it and to be honest I take alot of offense to that.

Is anyone else being treated with kid gloves because of your job? I am constantly being told how to make business decisions and what is best for me and my salon. I feel like people automatically think I must not be smart since I "just do hair". It's like being a hairdresser is only a side job or a backup. I don't understand it and to be honest I take alot of offense to that.

I know what you mean, this drives me crazy! I overheard a woman once talking about her daughter to her friend and she actually said 'well I've told her if she doesn't do well at school she'll be stuck with only hairdressing as an option' this made my blood boil...... Also people who think we're incapable of doing accounts etc grrr. Rant over, I totally agree with you

I also understand what tour both saying try not to worry about it i have alot of it in my family my older brother and sister laugh at me and say good typical hairdresser i just ignore them and think at the end of the day im the 1 who has my owm buisness and have done since the age of 20 and not just about owning your own buisness even if u rent a chair or are employed my old college tutor always said aslong as u wake up in the morning excited to start your day or looking foward to getting in to the salon thats all that matters and i can truley hand on heart say yes thats me i love my job and enjoy it so forget everybody else and just love and enjoy what we all do !! X

This made laugh. Nail techs get this a lot too. My nail instructor started doing nails on the side in grade 10, opened her own salon, bought out her mom's training school and bought her second house all before she hit 30. She took a year off and traveled the world. I also know another tech who kept her family going when her husband lost his well paying job in machining. Without her "side" job they would've lost thier home. My hair stylist rents a chair and nets over 4 grand a month working 4 days a week. Laugh. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Latest posts

Back