Heated mitts - Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
I keep seeing more and more people mention that they use heated mitts with Shellac removal and my questions are -

Is this safe?

Is this completely necessary?

What are your clients reactions to this method?

Does this really speed up removal times?

Is it much more effective?

And would a hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel have the same effect?

I keep seeing more and more people mention that they use heated mitts with Shellac removal and my questions are -

Is this safe?

Is this completely necessary?

What are your clients reactions to this method?

Does this really speed up removal times?

Is it much more effective?

And would a hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel have the same effect?

I find shellac removes much quicker with heat applied, but not so much that you end up drying out the remover. .I have used a hairdryer on myself when I need to be quick but I wouldn't recommend for professional use!. I have yet to use any heat or heated mitts on a client but I have them here. Just a towel maybe good enough to wrap them in as the heat from their fingers does help. However I do use the finger remover pads so not sure if it makes any difference to cotton wool and foil.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I've not tried it with hear but I don't find it takes that long anyway so don't really feel the need

I haven't tried this ambit would think a wheat bag might look a little bit better than hot water bottle In a towel 😉 xx

I don't use it for shellac removal but do use them for Gellux removal speeds it up so much and all my clients comment how it gives a little luxury :)

Sarah xx

No its not safe. Acetone is flammable and heated mitts are an electrical appliance. If they were faulty I'm sure you can imagine what would happen.

When I've had clients with cold hands it can make removal harder. I've usually just wrapped their hands in a towel. Occasionally its been on the radiator so that's added some more warmth. I'm after a wheat bag but the only ones I can find have lavender in them and I personally do not like the smell so I want a plain one.

My clients have loved the extra warmth from the towels so I can see a heated wheat bag being a huge hit.

Xx

As has been stated: unsafe, and unnecessary.
8-10minutes is not a long time. And it's not worth the risk of setting your client aflame for.
Would insurance cover you if you did that? NO
Because you're not following manufacturer's directions.

Don't do it.

I use the plastic inserts for the heated mitts so no chance of anything spilling out :) but like has been said wouldn't bother with shellac as it comes off so easy anyway!

Sarah xx

No one is going to burn alive by using acetone and heated mitts. You need a naked flame for a start........ the chances of a fire breaking out from a plug socket are slim to none where heated mitts are concerned, however by some miracle the inevitable were to happen then this is where your fire extinguishers and fire evacuation plan would come into effect and the correct storage of flammable liquids! Some of these posts do make me laugh.

I can't say I have ever used any of these methods on a customer however I have noticed that 8 -10 minutes removal seems somewhat longer. I have a shellac removal tonight I will time it.

Last edited:
Hi all, I use a wheat bag only very gently warmed to help removal of my acrylic (Nsi) and it works wonders, really speeds up the process by gently heating the acetone . I use cuccio gel polish and it also speeds up the process on those too.:):thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I wrap the fingers tightly in foil, put a plastic liner over their hands, then a towelling mitt, then the heated mitts. Ive yet to burn anyone alive x

No one is going to burn alive by using acetone and heated mitts. You need a naked flame for a start........ the chances of a fire breaking out from a plug socket are slim to none where heated mitts are concerned, however by some miracle the inevitable were to happen then this is where your fire extinguishers and fire evacuation plan would come into effect and the correct storage of flammable liquids! Some of these posts do make me laugh.

I can't say I have ever used any of these methods on a customer however I have noticed that 8 -10 minutes removal seems somewhat longer. I have a shellac removal tonight I will time it.

Why does it make you laugh, I don't see anything thats laughable about a flammable liquid and an electrical heat source!! Even if its highly unlikely to it could still happen and the outcome is not something I'd personally even like to imagine.

It irresponsible to even take the risk so its not one I will take. I will use a warm towel or a heated wheat bag if and when I find one that isn't lavender.

Why does it make you laugh, I don't see anything thats laughable about a flammable liquid and an electrical heat source!! Even if its highly unlikely to it could still happen and the outcome is not something I'd personally even like to imagine.

It irresponsible to even take the risk so its not one I will take. I will use a warm towel or a heated wheat bag if and when I find one that isn't lavender.

You clearly didn't read my post! you just focused on the fact some posts make me laugh! It wasn't personal. I have no problem if you use heated mitts or a wheat bag, or a microwave or a tumbledryer or even if you wish to place someones hands over the gas cooker.... I've mentioned a few times I don't do any of them.

Non scented ones are available on Amazon xx

For Stephibaby there are a few unscented wheat bags on eBay and iv found a lady who makes them in whatever size you like. No lavender :)

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Only thing about unscented wheat bags is they smell like porridge! Lovely in the morning but not so much the rest of the day haha :)

Laura xx

Well...I think I'm going to steer away from the heated mitts idea, as it *could* cause problems.

I have in the past attempted to use the wheat bags...but I think I almost broke the microwave at work whilst heating them up (shhhh don't tell them!).

So I think I'm going to use a mini hot water bottle wrapped up in a fluffy towel and having it already prepared for when my removal clients arrive...that way they'll be non the wiser that there's a hot water bottle inside, I'll just make sure they keep their hands on the table all warm and snug.

No its not safe. Acetone is flammable and heated mitts are an electrical appliance. If they were faulty I'm sure you can imagine what would happen.

When I've had clients with cold hands it can make removal harder. I've usually just wrapped their hands in a towel. Occasionally its been on the radiator so that's added some more warmth. I'm after a wheat bag but the only ones I can find have lavender in them and I personally do not like the smell so I want a plain one.

My clients have loved the extra warmth from the towels so I can see a heated wheat bag being a huge hit.

Xx

This is what I have always wondered and can't believe the amount of people use them.

Acetone essentially breaks down plastics and other synthetic fibres which in the long run, used with heated mitts would cause them to deteriorate much quicker as most of the heated mitts I've come across have been made of plastic.

I was told in my training to use heated mitts to speed up removal.

I use heated mitts in my removal. Foil wraps, plastic globe and towelling mitt then heated mitts. Had no problems and the clients love the warmth.

Latest posts

Back