HELP!!!!! Dream going down the pan!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnewcastle

CND Education Ambassador Newcastle
Reaction score
Anyone who has any advice whatsoever please reply. I've got my own beauty room and im doing terribly at the moment! I have nothing at all booked in this week and im now having to start working part time for someone else because of it. I absolutely hate it and came home in tears yesterday as i know it's the start of my business failing! I need more bookings asap but dont have alot of finance at the moment to fund any massive deal of advertising. I have leaflets which im going to leaflet drop with and do need some more made up which are more up to date so if anyone can name any cheap printers that can change bits on my leaflets prior to printing that would also be a big help. Anyone with any advise please help im really down and really need to save the business! x

Advertise Advertise Advertise

It sounds patronising, but you can't expect people to come to you.

Print off LOTS of flyers at home (cheap black and white design) don't worry about them not looking fantastic at the moment...its probably not the time to worry about a "brand" if you think you're going to the wall.

Get your trainers on and get them delivered. Sounds obvious, I know, but theres not a lot else you can do and it REALLY works!

And chin-up! :)

Thank you i will! I've just needed some support at the moment with it all. Im miserable because of the way things are. Just seen a link on your thread do you do printing also?

Sorry, dont think I was touting for business! It's just I've been there with our own salon!

You can design and print them at home! it'd be cheaper! :)

But, to answer your question, I dont do printing. Just the designs for print.

I been saying on here for ages that its tough out there. I get shouted down by people claiming that its all fantastic for them. I have a couple of big well established salons, and I can tell you that its hard going at the moment.
Do whatever you have to do to stay afloat. the salons that come through this recession will boom. I was in this industry in the 90's recession and it becomes survival of the fittest. Those still standing then do very well.
Keep all your costs as low as poss both in your business and personal. Resist the temptation to do a "sod it" blow out holiday. Just keep plugging away at it.

I've had 2 salons approach me asking me to take over their leasehold in my area so i guess that means business isn't doing well for them either. My costs are as low as they can be and was meant to be going on holiday this year but haven't booked with the way things have been. Doesn't help that driving home from the spa i've started working at part time my car broke. Im at an all time low which im sure many people are at the moment as well. This whole resession thing is a complete joke and i bet anti depressant tablets are being perscribed right left and centre from the doctors at the moment. Know i just need to stay positive but it's so hard at the moment. Im applying to start my teacher training in september also to do alongside my beauty

Just playing devils advocate...but, if you're doing teacher training...how is this your dream?

Im doing teachers training to get a part time post to have a steady income and also do my beauty and make up in my room. Yes thats how bad things have gotten :(

If you dont mind me saying, thats a lot of ifs and buts isnt it?

Are there a lot of part-time teaching jobs? Im probably showing my ignorance, but I'd assume there were easier jobs to build a business at the same time than teaching??

Yeah im working part time in a spa at the moment on £6 an hour! I hate it with a passion. One of the girls in the spa said when we were waiting for our back massages to turn up "do you know how much we're getting paid to do this treatment?" everyone turned and looked at her and she said "£3" I could have cried there and then. It really made me think slave labour! forgive me for moaning but im sure alot of people will agree that the wage is a joke!
Im doing my teacher training because i can also train people through a company at the beauty room and the high schools around my area offer night time classes in beauty so i could do that part time and the wage would be enough to keep me rather than working full days at the spa where im potentially loosing clients who want to book in at the beauty room. If that make sense :S x

It's worth keeping in mind that leaflets are not the be-all & end-all of advertising. Advertising need not cost a penny. Chartity events, talks for local interest groups (WI, young mothers, flower guilds etc etc) and so forth cost nothing & allow you to meet clients face-to-face.

Also, to echo what others have said, fully-fledged business do not land on people's laps, unless they're very lucky. It takes years to build a reputation & a solid client base, but the key is to remain focussed & keep emotions out of it. You'll notice most successful businesses are ran by those who don't see a problem or failure when things go wrong, but rather a challange.

but theres not a lot else you can do and it REALLY works!
There's lots you can do other than leaflet drops!
You can advertise for free on Gumtree
You can join a networking group and put yourself out there
You can give raffle prizes to church/village/charity fairs
You can contact all the local women's editors and give them free treatments
You can walk into local hair salons and offer to do their treatments at cost to advertise your services.
You can contact Business Link who will give free advice.

I'm sure there's lots more too!

its the summer holls, everyone is busy with kids or going on holiday.

Think up some good tempting treatments for September.

Teaching is hard too, and you have to plug away at that also.

Have a chat with Carl/Extentionize about getting a logo designed, make up some small leaflets and get walking, but try and persuade a few people to help you as leaflet drops can be demoralising AND skin your knuckles.

....and ditch the other job, you will resent every moment of it.

Yes, correct, perhaps I meant theres not a lot you can do thats as effective if you're short on time and money.

My salon has tried radio, magazine, newspaper advertising; we've sponsored events etc etc and nothing has been as effective as a leaflet drop.

Remember as well, if you can't measure it, you can't manage it. So if you're doing a drop, have them bring it back in for 10% off- that way you can quantify if its working or not.

And also, in my experience, a profitable company (and I mean in real terms- not just a decent turnover) can take years to build, not weeks or even months- unless you're very lucky. So work at it and have patience.

You can advertise for free on Gumtree
You can join a networking group and put yourself out there
You can give raffle prizes to church/village/charity fairs
You can contact all the local women's editors and give them free treatments
You can walk into local hair salons and offer to do their treatments at cost to advertise your services.
You can contact Business Link who will give free advice.

I'm sure there's lots more too!

The key to remember aswell is not to think "oh I've done that, don't need to do it again". All of the above & then some more, have to be done on a continual basis for them to have any significant effect.

Other ideas could be:
*write to clients who haven't been in for a while with a good offer to encourage them back in
*do a competition in local shops
*send a letter with an incentive to other local offices
*do a joint venture with a florist, restaurant etc

The list is endless. You are only limited by your own imagination & determination.

Yes, business is tough out there, & I'm certainly not fine & dandy as was implied on a previous thread, BUT I am proactive and use the quiet time to drum up business.

And for those of you in employment.....Business is tough. How do you think your bosses must feel with all their overheads? A lot more than £80-100 all inclusive room rent. Self-employment certainly isn't the be-all & end-all it's made out to be!!!

Oh if only I had to find £100 room rent. Bliss. Try my overheads for size then bitch about your boss!
There are some really good replies on here today.
It takes YEARS (not weeks or months) of solid, single minded slog to build a business.
It will take at least 2 years before you can pay for your setup costs and draw a salary.
If you are not in a position to do that ie no savings then remember that, at the moment it is survival of the fitest. s of salons are, and will be closing down.
1 in 3 salons go bust in their first year. It's a high risk business to be in.
A good salon job, with a commission system can pay better than being self employed when you factor in holiday pay etc.

Latest posts

Back