Help, green tanning solution!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, are we saying if the solution is not green it's ok to use? That can't be right. I used an 18 month old bottle of 20% on a friend last week as a trial with 'old' solution", it was kept in fridge all that time and there was no green in sight. The result was very very light. Does the DHA disappear into thin air? Should we throw Solution after a set time if we can't see it has deteriated? Cheers, Mick.
I have seen tan go a dark blue colour too In the bottle!

I had some sienna x solution that went green. You could see it was bright green from when you poured it from the bottle to the spray gun. It was a nightmare. Had to leave a client and go to my friends house to have some of her solution.

Many factors can affect the shelf life of solutions.

If kept in prime conditions (unopened, in cold not just cool place, away from light, shaken well prior to use) any solution can reach 12 m + shelf life. As soon as it turns green its still not the DHA which has deteriorated its the red pigment from the bronzer which leaves it looking green. If you were daring enough to use green solution (in its early stages) you would still have a perfect tan after washing the hulk style bronzer off - though I of course would never recommend this :p

I've found the same as Mick- ie older solution not being as strong as it once was. I have a 16% bottle of Sienna X that is about 18 months old and always kept in the fridge. It wasn't green but when I tried it on me It was as pale as an 8% usually is!

Something in the DHA must deteriorate after time. xx

Everything has a half life including DHA, this basically means that when it reaches it's half life (I have no idea what this is for DHA) it becomes half the strength so a high percent solution will become a lower percent solution when this happens (and a lower percent solution would look like it has done nothing as it's not got enough DHA left in it to make a real difference) but other ingredients in tanning solution will most likely have a different half life and because of this it is always best to follow manufacturers guidelines on how long to keep your solution (or any other product) before then throwing any unused product away.
This is also why things like medicine need to be used before a set date - the half life of ingredients means it won't be as effective, if effective at all when used after that date.

one of my regular clients of rapidtan by Siennasol wanted to try something darker. I had run out of my 12% Siennasol so I got out my SiennaX 12%. As soon as I poured it into the cup my heart skipped a beat. It was bright green!! My client at this time was putting barrier cream on so didn't notice. I sprayed a tiny bit on my arm to see how green it would be on skin, I looked like I had a shrek arm! I had only had the solution for about two months and still loads left! Always kept in a cool dark room like my other solutions purchased at the same time in bulk (no issues with my Siennasol branded solutions!) I had another bottle of SiennaX in my bag, unopened, it was only a 10% but I got it out. It wasn't green thank goodness.. BUT you could see hardly any colour. I couldn't believe it, ended up having to spray again the next day with my holy grace solution Siennasol. After this experience ive decided not to use SiennaX again.. Which in a way is a shame as a lot of clients request it and really like the tan.

Latest posts

Back