Help!! How Do I Apply Tips To A Current Gel Overlay??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim C

Reaction score
I am still relatively new to the Brisa gel. I had a client last week who asked for gel overlays which I did. At the end of the appointment, she said... Oh I though you were going to put tips on because I want them longer, although this wasn't what she originally asked for. So... she wants to come back next week and have tips put on. Firstly, can I do this now that she has overlays and secondly, how do I go about doing this correctly? Please can somebody help me. Many thanks :(

Three things you can do.

1. Convince the lady that in a mere 2-3 weeks her nails will have gorwn to the length she wants so why not just wait BECAUSE --- as she didn't make herself clear and remained silent while she watched you overlay a full set --- you will have to charge her for another full set if she has tips applied!!

2. You could thin out zone one until there is just a thin thin layer and then apply a tip to it and make the new overlay meet and meld into the old overlay. I would charge her for a new full set for this as stated above.

3. You could sculpt a new free edge to make them longer. Charge for a full set.

Hi Kim, it's also a good thing just to double check when a client asks for something that you really understand what they want.

When I ask clients about nail shape for example, they either say square or round, but this can vary so much from their interpretation to yours ie square square, or square with the corners rounded off ..... or almond round, or still square with the corners rounded off which they interpret as round!!!!!

Just a tip for the future!

Wow! what a prompt reply! Thanks soooo much for your recommendations I appreciate it.

Sassy Hassy said:
Hi Kim, it's also a good thing just to double check when a client asks for something that you really understand what they want.

When I ask clients about nail shape for example, they either say square or round, but this can vary so much from their interpretation to yours ie square square, or square with the corners rounded off ..... or almond round, or still square with the corners rounded off which they interpret as round!!!!!

Just a tip for the future!

Thanks Sassy, I really appreciate your advice - I certainly have got a lot to learn
Kim x

Kim,

Did you carry out a consultation for this client? Did you question what she actually wanted, as opposed to just doing what she asked for? If you did, and she kept quiet then that's her problem; if not, just bear in mind next time, be sure to check what the client is says they want is actually the same as they ask for.

I agree that the client should have said something berfore you'd finished if she could see you weren't doing tips, but then, she doesn't necessarily know how the process works and may have thought it came later.

Agree though that whatever you do, you charge for your time/ work.

Bryony said:
Kim,

Did you carry out a consultation for this client? Did you question what she actually wanted, as opposed to just doing what she asked for? If you did, and she kept quiet then that's her problem; if not, just bear in mind next time, be sure to check what the client is says they want is actually the same as they ask for.

I agree that the client should have said something berfore you'd finished if she could see you weren't doing tips, but then, she doesn't necessarily know how the process works and may have thought it came later.

Agree though that whatever you do, you charge for your time/ work.

Bryony, Thanks very much. Yes I did carry out a consultation and this client had overlays last time and when she made the appointment asked for "what she had last time"!!! I have learnt my lesson and we all learn from our mistakes and experience. Thanks for your advice and help, its really appreciated.
Kim x

Latest posts

Back