Help! Is it just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if this is just me (and if so - am I doing something wrong) or if it happens to lots of us.

My salon is doing well - but, I just can't seem to get away from it. I spend all my time thinking and worrying about it.

I kinda earn enough money but nothing like what I'd hoped when I opened it and now I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get away...

What's everyone else's experience?

What are your biggest worries?

Is it just me???

Brend x

Hi Brend, I eat breathe and sleep spray tanning at the moment so you are definitely not alone :hug:

At the moment I am not overly busy, but ticking over nicely. Just started 2mths ago.

My biggest worry is that I don't get my butt in gear and advertise in time for christmas, or that I do it wrong. Also got a wedding fayre in 2 weeks and haven't got a clue what to do.

Jen :hug:
xx

Honey, trust me, and I mean TRUST ME! You are not alone. I think you've read my recent thread 'feel like giving it all up'.

I feel like I live in this salon and I'm feeling so used and taken for granted by some clients at the minute. The salon id doing well, but like you, I'm not getting anywhere near what resembles a wage.
Everything seems to be about other people now and I rarely get time for myself. The time off I do get is mostly all about the salon - preparing newsletters, campaigns, buying stock.

I worry all the time - if I'm quiet I worry, If I'm busy, Im stressed and I worry. It definitely is not all plain sailing. Sometimes I don't even want to do the treatments on people!!!

But owning your own business is never going to be easy. It will however be rewarding, fulfiling and satisfying (most of the time!).
Read over what the geeks have said to me on my post. You MUST MUST MUST make time for yourself. (I know, I should practice what I preach!)

A burnt out therapist is no use to no-one. Just keep doing your best. Maybe soon you'll be able to employ someone and get some well-deserved time off.
HTH
:hug::hug::hug:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone, but I STILL eat sleep and breathe it.
Am just home now after a 75 hour working week. I have a pile of paperwork to tackle before Monday. This is quite normal, and I got used to living like it. Not had a day off sick in 15 years, or a holiday for 6 years.

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if this is just me (and if so - am I doing something wrong) or if it happens to lots of us.

My salon is doing well - but, I just can't seem to get away from it. I spend all my time thinking and worrying about it.

I kinda earn enough money but nothing like what I'd hoped when I opened it and now I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get away...

What's everyone else's experience?

What are your biggest worries?

Is it just me???

Brend x

No it's not you. I'm still like that after nearly 18 years in business. I think it's just one of the 'perks' of being your own boss!

thank all - at least I don't feel completely alone!

I'm gonna go to the library tonight and see if I can find a book to help me!

Must be some advise somewhere... can't go on like this forever...

Brend x

I'm like that too... can't stop thinking about work. When I have no custom I spend my time trying to get more, how to get more, where to get more!! Working on pamphlets and adds and newsletters and keeping up with the website and Facebook ... trying to get all the work done. The paper work (filing) suffers the most.

I am the point now where my partner wants us to go on a family holiday and I'm stressing about 'what will my customers do while I'm gone?' I'm worried they'll go else where and I can't afford that.

I keep working hard hoping for the day I'm successful enough I can go on a holiday and KNOW my customers will be loyal. I would class myself as a workaholic, but it's disappointing that I don't have millions to show for it ... yet.
It's wacky! Yet exciting b/c it is all my creation :green:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone, but I STILL eat sleep and breathe it.
Am just home now after a 75 hour working week. I have a pile of paperwork to tackle before Monday. This is quite normal, and I got used to living like it. Not had a day off sick in 15 years, or a holiday for 6 years.

No holiday for 6 years??!! Wow.

It is tough owning your own business. I have had mine almost 4 years and and practically live there. When I am not there I am washing towels, doing books and paperwork. Plus, always at the end of the phone of I am not in during opening hours.
I do, however, take a weeks hol every year and a few days off inbetween Xmas and New years eve. You have to give yourself a break otherwise you don't perform at your best. I won't be a complete martyr t othe cause :) I have also started taking Friday mornings off, it just gives me a chance to catch up on family life.

You don't say how long you have had your business. In the first year you are are lucky if you can take a regular wage and the first 3 years are tough. Owning your own business is not for the fainthearted!

You have to decide what your goal is and what level of sucess you are happy with. Just keep plugging away and you will get there. :green:

Hi Donna, I have been in business 10 years. I have 2 salons, and 14 staff. It's a huge amount of work, for ,at the moment, not great money.

Latest posts

Back