Help..no contract.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thompson1

Reaction score
Hi guys

I ran two of my successful franchises and won many awards for business and my hairdressing. I later sold the salons and moved back to my home area. I helped a women open a salon back in may in our village. Im the only stylist and shes the therapist. She leaves me in the salon now for 7-8 hours a day not only to do the clients but to answer the phone, wash up, make tea, take bills, etc etc

The other day I asked where she had been and she said she went for a lie down as she was bored and tired! I know its her salon but she is not bothered and im doing everything from marketing to hair.

Shes not doing any advertising and we live in a very rural area and she needs to do some sort of advertsing as people dont know where we are people are only comming in from word of mouth for me and shes doing on average 1 eyebrow wax a week!

Today she said to me to go self employed as she doesnt want to worry about wages etc. I said I didnt want to go down this route etc as I was self employed with my own salons etc. She said she didnt like holiday pay or paying me if quite. I have also phoned the tax office and i aint registered for working there!.

She offered me 35% commision only working self employed. Im currently on £7 an hour flat rate. Since may my take has gone from 0 to £2000 a week, all this on my own without a junior. I asked for a junior and she said no!. She also continuously double books clients and expects me to do them as she wont say no to clients and says she cant turn the money away and its not double booking its imperisation! I also asked if I could have a contract for £7 or 35% commision to which she called me cheeky and said i wanted everything my way and if i wanted 35% commision i would have to take the rough with the smooth and go self employed!

What would you do, i feel shes taking the p*** and im not being looked after. I woundered, i dont have any form of contract, would i get into trouble if i left and put leaflets around the village offering a mobile business and leaving her salon? as i say its a small village so could she sue me or anything for taking her business with being the only stylsit?

In all fairness would she a) get of her ass to see a solicitor if you went off on your own or b) would she even have a business next month if you leave.

Leave, she has not given you a contract and go out there and use all that initiative for your own business, and keep ALL your own hard earned money! Why make her a success when she cannot be bothered herself!

Good luck with it all, but I am sure you don't need it!

Kate x

She is completely taking the pi**. As a former salon owner you already know that. Personally I would open up a salon next door! If there is no contract in place then quite frankly you can do what you like. As your not even registered at the tax office as an employee then she has acted illegally and doesnt have a leg to stand on.
Please put yourself first here, she doesn't deserve an employee like you.
As a Salon owner I normally take the side of the boss, but in this case it appears to be pure exploitation. Do whatever you need to do to earn your living, and hopefully she will get a lesson in how to treat people.
If you ever fancy coming to London to work, shout me. x

Hi, you are in a very strong position here because if you left it sounds like that salon would fall flat on its face without you ,
and I agree she is totally taking the p**s out of you ,
so I think you should use your own brains and hard work to look after yourself now as she has totally missed her chance,
it's very hard to get good hard honest workers these days ,
she must be mad to not look after you , she is the cheeky one here not you,
as Persianista said she really doesn't deserve you , and there are plenty of Bosses out there that would :hug: x minky

as my old boss used to say 'well my dear... stylists are easy come easy go and non of you are indespensible, and you have no rights coz you have no contract'........... to all of us:mad:

with that we all took are clients and walked , i know run a nice little earner doing mobile... thanks to the clients,,

and my reply to her!! IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!! like she says no contract, no rights!

best of luck xxx

cool thanks guys, its so hard as I have been on the other end of this ie staff leaving me in lurch and pinching clients, but I always treat my staff with respect and paid them very well.

Do you think I should offer the same prices as we do in her salon or do you think i should reduce them by a set percentage with now going to the clients houses?

i have reduced mine slightly, not that much though coz you won't be as busy at first, but they are still getting the same service from a qualified stylist so don't drop them too much. :) they are used to paying x amount so even a fiver off is good for them xxx

I would be very careful. Even with no contract you can be verbally legally bound after 12 continuous weeks of employment. She probably wouldn't get far with this but it could make life very difficult for you in the meantime.

You are getting a raw deal by the sounds of it, you may be better just to cut your losses and leave.

You sound like you have a lot of experience and are great at building a clientle. The satisfaction will be in the fact that you can survive without her but she won't without you! :)

If she didnt bother to register him as an employee, then there is no "continuous employment"
Us salon owners can't have it every which way!

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim but am I right in assuming from your post that she is paying you £7 per hour but you are not registered at the tax office as an employee? This implies to me that she is not paying your PAYE tax and NI? She may not have even registered herself with them either?

If this is the case stick 2 fingers up and tell her that if she tries anything you'll report her to the Inland Revenue.

At the rate of 1 brow shape per week she will have to work a long time to afford a solicitor anyway so I'd say your safe.

Cheaky mare

I am totally fuming, went to work yesterday and i was asked to have an appraisal there and then. She had it all typed up ready. She started by telling me how fantasic I was praiseing me for how i have built the business from nothing, then! she told me I was extremely unflexible as I complained when I had been double booked! How she felt I did not respect her and told me I shouldnt ask for more money or commision as I wasnt prepared to have a lower wage on poor wage but wanted to have a share of the profits on busy weeks! She said I was extremely well paid for the industry and she feels I am unhappy in my job so she has advertised for another stylist, on a cheaper wage! she didnt actually say to replace me but thats exactley what she ment! She also said that I had not give her respect for letting me go 1/2 hours early when SHE decided to close early!. She seems to forget the 2 weeks I went in before opening and painted, built sections, went and got her stock etc and never got a thank you or pay!

I cant wait to leave now, I have quite abit of my things in the salon so using this week to get them out, I really dont want to go back intoday but the stuff I have their is expensive ie my climazone, raccoon hair extentions stuff, trolleys etc!

I cant believe her cheek!

I know it's wrong but i'd take your client cards while your there also if you can get away with it and write to them saying you've gone mobile after all they've came to you to have their hair done and i dont think they'll be very happy when they go back in and find they're getting their hair done off some rubbish hairdresser instead of you (if she's paying rubbish she'll get rubbish!)

Oh good god, £7 good pay for the industry? I wish!! (I'm a salon owner by the way)
This silly woman really does have it coming to her. Ihave never ever advocated ripping a clientelle from a salon (I dont much like it done to me) but in this instance the sheer amateur management, exploitation, and awfulness of the woman beggars belief. Please open a salon next door to hers.

My my aren't we all a vindictive little bunch!!

I would go in, quietly collect my things and go; and have a bit of dignity.

I would not steal the Client Records as that would be wrong to do .. they belong to the salon not to you. Don't do a single thing that will give this woman ammunition to fire at you or your behavior.

I would start my own business and if the clients really like you they will find you.

You say you have successfully run your own businesses before so you can do so again ... although for someone who says they have run two successful businesses, some of the questions you have asked, re the situation you are in, do sound a little naive to me (as if you should know the answers already).

Leave with a clear conscience and your head held high and start, and end, as you mean to go on.

So Geeg, Do you advocate me paying stylists 7 quid an hour, not even registering them as employed, ask them to take a pay cut, plan to replace them as they are not "grateful?"
I could double book them and tell em to stop whining, cos I want a lie down!
So sorry if I sound "vindictive", Although I'm a salon owner, and employer, I cannot advocate "put up and shut up" or "sneak off quietly" in this story of exploitation and bad behaviour.

So Geeg, Do you advocate me paying stylists 7 quid an hour, not even registering them as employed, ask them to take a pay cut, plan to replace them as they are not "grateful?"
I could double book them and tell em to stop whining, cos I want a lie down!
So sorry if I sound "vindictive", Although I'm a salon owner, and employer, I cannot advocate "put up and shut up" or "sneak off quietly" in this story of exploitation and bad behaviour.

You've put an awful lot of words and motives in my post that I did not say!

I am not advocating anything apart from doing what is the RIGHT thing no matter how wrong anyone else is behaving.

Nor did I say put up and shut up ... nor did I mention sneaking off anywhere. My post is quite clear.

Do the right thing nothing illegal
Keep your dignity and
Quietly leave and start up your own successful business ... that is the best revenge, if revenge is what one is looking for.

i think you should take the lot and walk!!!!!!!! it is wrong but so is what she is doing to you. i recently had the same senario and do ya know what hunny i took the lot and it felt GREAT, coz lets face it what is she gonna do?????????? if you 'don't work there' she has to proove it!
babe do not ever let anyone treat you like that.. i suggest you use this last week as an oppertunity to tell your clients your plans and get there numbers, or give them yours so the ball is in there court!
take your racoon stuff climazone ect and leave the bi**h in the sh*t!!!!

at the end of the day its a dog eat dog world and we all have kids to feed houses to pay for and it sounds like you are willing to do the work to get this, so do it for yourself..
NEVER AGIAN WILL I EARN SOMEONE X AMOUNT OF MONEY TO GET WALKED ALL OVER................

xxxxxxx

i think you should take the lot and walk!!!!!!!! it is wrong but so is what she is doing to you. i recently had the same senario and do ya know what hunny i took the lot and it felt GREAT, coz lets face it what is she gonna do?????????? if you 'don't work there' she has to proove it!
babe do not ever let anyone treat you like that.. i suggest you use this last week as an oppertunity to tell your clients your plans and get there numbers, or give them yours so the ball is in there court!
take your racoon stuff climazone ect and leave the bi**h in the sh*t!!!!

at the end of the day its a dog eat dog world and we all have kids to feed houses to pay for and it sounds like you are willing to do the work to get this, so do it for yourself..
NEVER AGIAN WILL I EARN SOMEONE X AMOUNT OF MONEY TO GET WALKED ALL OVER................

xxxxxxx

Very ethical ... not

Very professional ... not

Very legal ... not

Giving advice like this should make you very proud ... not

So not liking being walked over yourself you're only too willing to give advice to a person to walk over someone else. Remember there are 2 sides to every story and we've only heard ONE.

sorry geeg but i stand by my comment,
this 'boss' has not even told the tax office that the girl even works there, so how is she gonna explain makin all the money if she can't do the work herself?? THAT is illegal..... also trying to make her go self employed prob to cover her tracks and STILL not have to tell the tax office about her!!
if that isn't underhand i don't know what is??
2 wrongs don't make a right but it sure feels good to get your own back....

sorry geeg but i stand by my comment,
this 'boss' has not even told the tax office that the girl even works there, so how is she gonna explain makin all the money if she can't do the work herself?? THAT is illegal..... also trying to make her go self employed prob to cover her tracks and STILL not have to tell the tax office about her!!
if that isn't underhand i don't know what is??
2 wrongs don't make a right but it sure feels good to get your own back....

For sure the situation is a bad one .. but you are correct 2 wrongs do not make a right and someone out of this should be in the right. The owner will not prosper and the employee can tell the tax office about the wrongs she has done. If the employee also ends up in the wrong then nothing will be accomplished.

the 'advice' you gave was not ethical and was not right IMO.

Latest posts

Back