Help, overspray is ruining my furniture and walls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanforeverbrown

Reaction score
I do my spray tans from home, in my open plan living room and although I use some dust sheets and have doors open for ventilation, and clean up as much as I can afterwards, the tan is going EVERYWHERE.

I use Sienna booth and True spray machine.

After tanning, I find that the mist has spread on my kitchen work surfaces, even in the hallway on a table, when I wipe over things afterwards. You can't actually see it but everything I wipe over turns the cloths brown so I know it's there!

I also have white walls and nice furniture and I'm worried that in time it's going to ruin everything.

I don't like going mobile to people's houses as I find that with all the packing up and transport and set up of equipment, it just isn't worth my time to spray people in their homes.

I don't have the luxury of a salon room or 'wet room' at home or spare bedroom or summer house, the only option is my living room.

I can't afford the 300 ish quid for an extractor fan.

Any tips to avoid overspray would be appreciated, otherwise I may have to give up my business to save my home.

Go mobile, it's no hassle. I have my tent and a bag with cream, towel in etc over one shoulder and I carry my gun in other hand. I don't tan from home anymore because of overspray. You can't avoid it, it's a nuisance. I used to dl it in my conservatory until it went pink with the over spray !!

Plus , you can be in and out if a client' s home in 15 mins and if you have a few in the same area it's good money .

Thanks, I did a mobile client once and found that with packing everything up and transporting it, setting it up at someone's house, packing it all up again then coming home, setting the booth up at home to clean it etc it took in total over 2 hours and I just didn't feel it was worth it for a £20 spray tan

I'm not in tanning but I had seen somewhere some portable collapsible small rooms/booths whatever they are called. Can't you get one of that and set it up permanently in your house? I thought it was pretty much a necessity for tanning unless you have a salon and a specified tanning room
Another idea is to do it in your bathroom if it's covered in tiles and you have the room there. Tiles are easier to clean and all the "furniture" in a bathroom is made of materials that don't really stain (porcelain, metal, processed wood). If you can have all your towels and small things stored safely in cupboards then that's an idea to consider, although not very professional I admit.

Thanks unfortunately my bathroom is only small so that won't work, and it doesn't have any ventilation. I have a Sienna tanning booth but it's not containing the spray enough, but will look into any other options for a bigger 'tent' that perhaps would work.

I have to say I had this exact problem despite every effort - I eventually gave up the tanning and sold my kit

Knowing how much spray is left in the room I didn't feel comfortable taking it mobile, or cream sodas/carpets/etc [emoji33]

My rule is never to tan on a carpet. I always opt for the kitchen or tiled floor. I leave my tent and tanning bag in car all week and only take gun/machine indoors each night to wash gun out. It might just be a case of building your clients up so it is worth your while doing mobile.

Thanks everyone, I bought a load of dust sheets today to put all around my living room so let's see if that helps, although still won't cover the white walls!

I have to say I had this exact problem despite every effort - I eventually gave up the tanning and sold my kit

Knowing how much spray is left in the room I didn't feel comfortable taking it mobile, or cream sodas/carpets/etc [emoji33]
Hmm I suspect I'll end up doing the same thing...

My rule is never to tan on a carpet. I always opt for the kitchen or tiled floor. I leave my tent and tanning bag in car all week and only take gun/machine indoors each night to wash gun out. It might just be a case of building your clients up so it is worth your while doing mobile.

It wasn't just my carpet, it was the upvc window sill, my limestone fireplace, fabric lampshade

If I ever did it again it would have to be in a shower or tiled area (or a brown room lol)

Funny you should say about the dust sheets. Last night I tanned a regular and her dad had put dust sheets all around the room ( I tan her in his barbering room). He asked her if she could do it in the garden. She said no. !! I once tanned 4 girls in the garden in winter because their mum was fed up with the over spray. They were shaking with the cold. [emoji23]

When I worked in a hotel I had to go to each client's hotel room and I just sprayed the client standing in their shower. It's the best method no worries to ruining anything. I have a bathroom shower in my salon (luckily ) so this is my tanning room.
You be surprised how small a shower you can spray someone in. Just takes practice but it can be done

When I worked in a hotel I had to go to each client's hotel room and I just sprayed the client standing in their shower. It's the best method no worries to ruining anything. I have a bathroom shower in my salon (luckily ) so this is my tanning room.
You be surprised how small a shower you can spray someone in. Just takes practice but it can be done
Thanks that is a great idea but unfortunately the way my bathroom is configured at home, the shower has a sliding door and there just wouldn't be enough room to spray someone or manoeuvre around them properly!

It wasn't just my carpet, it was the upvc window sill, my limestone fireplace, fabric lampshade

If I ever did it again it would have to be in a shower or tiled area (or a brown room lol)
Yes I totally agree. I found a layer of tan on top of my microwave which is at the other end of the room to the tanning booth, on my TV screen, my kitchen surfaces, my white breakfast bar stools etc etc!!!!!!

All I can say is low gun setting and have them stand right at the back of the tent. And honestly doing this really helps me the only thing I find is the actual machine where the wire comes out the tan comes out of there!!! it's al over the socket and the floor where the machine is lol and I clean the filter at the end of each day and keep the machine far away from the tent where I spray.

All I can say is low gun setting and have them stand right at the back of the tent. And honestly doing this really helps me the only thing I find is the actual machine where the wire comes out the tan comes out of there!!! it's al over the socket and the floor where the machine is lol and I clean the filter at the end of each day and keep the machine far away from the tent where I spray.
Ok thanks so much, next time I'll try it with a client right at the back and see if that makes a difference.

I have an LA tan booth - I do mine in my living room too - the overspray ain't to bad with it - I sit the unit on a towel to stop spray from it gojfn on stuff and use sheets - it's been fine :)

I get very little over spray.
They stand to the back of the tent, I work fairly close to the body, gun set at 3, 2 coats, no problem.
If the weather is good, you can't beat tanning out side.:cool:

I sprayed in a gym with a few girls at a home gym lol as long as they stand at the back of the tent no problem.

Latest posts

Back