Help!! Wedding hair pricing!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhoniebunnyx

Hair, Beauty and SPMU
Reaction score
OMG!!! I cannot sleep for worry over this situation and hope some one can help.

A client of mine (who is also an ex collegue/friend of my mothers) asked me to do her wedding hair in August. This was just before xmas and I was in the process of developing a wedding pricelist at the time so I said I would get back to her once this was done and that she could have the service at half price as she is a kind of friend:rolleyes: of my mums and she said I could use a wedding picture for my portfolio.

I decided on £80 per hour for my normal call out price. As the wedding was a good 45 minute drive from me and I also needed to bring a friend to assist me (there are 6 in the wedding party and she wanted an early ceremony) I quoted her £48 per hour.

She replied a few days later asking if I could quote 'per person' and added that everyones hair would be washed and dried for when I got there.

This is really stressing me out because I have not arranged my prices this way.

Should I redo my prices altogether and have a 'set' bride price etc. I have set prices for the trials but find on the day I can end up waiting around for ages for people and at an hourly rate the guests tend to be a little more organised and i'm not there wasting time hanging around.

The client does travel from her home in London across to Bath to see me for appointments whenever she can, so she must value my work.

I now dont feel confident in my pricing.

Please help!!!:sad:

You don't feel confident because someone is challenging them.

Someone who is looking to keep all of her costs down.

Who thinks because the hair of all clients will be washed and dried should somehow mean it is less time for you so therefore should be less money.

I would explain to her that an hourly rate is by far the most cost effective but if she wants a price per person - it is 48.00.

I can see the sense in an hourly rate as it would certainly focus my mind on ensuring everyone is washed and dried and ready when you call them. If you do it per person you could indeed be hanging around wasting YOUR time. And things start getting bitty.

Its your business. You are in control of it not the client. Be confident in your ability and be confident in what you are worth. Also be confident that your price takes into account travel time and petrol and an assistant.

You're in business to make money, not a peanut.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
All brides need to work to a budget of some description,so I would expect this won't be the first time you will be challenged on this. I wouldn't change your method of pricing, just give a brief explanation of what it covers i.e travelling expenses, assistant,early call out fee etc, and a rough guide of how long you expect to take per person then she can work out an approx price per head without you committing to a set price. I would also add that your pricing structure means that the more organised the bridal party is then the more cost effective it is for her.once you have explained your reasons I'm sure she will understand, I think people when faced with an hourly rate automatically assume the service provider will take as long as possible to run up a bigger bill,when in actual fact (particularly in your case) its the opposite.x

Thank you for your advice.

I have contacted her and she now understands the reason I went for an hourly rate.

I feel a lot happier now :D

Latest posts

Back