Help, whats gone wrong with this tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Help!
I've received these pics from a lady I spray tanned last week, havent got a clue what's happened to her hands? I normally only give them a light misting so this sort of thing cant happen :eek:

She did say that she'd had a sunbed earlier that day but from reading through other posts I dont think that would have caused a problem? I used tantrick 12% as she was quite dark skinned (although she doesnt look it in the pics) I must admit I rarely use this shade so it's probably been sitting around for a while... could that be the problem even though it had a good shake up first?

Her hands look almost patterned? like bits of it have taken too much and bits havent taken at all? I wondered if it was moisturiser or something but i'd expect that to tone it down if anything?

She said she liked the colour and would have one done weekly but obviously wasnt happy with hands, she's been wearing a bandage to work! :o

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar and do any of you know anything that will take off colour like that apart from exfoliating?

Attachments

• P3060483.JPG
    P3060483.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,845
Hi Sherrie.. long time since I saw you on the geek site :hug:

Your client looks to me like she has slept with her hands tucked between her knees. Sometimes in bed clients do this without knowing and if they have been sprayed close to them going to bed this often can happen.

Would this be a possibility.. what time of day did she get sprayed?

Lemon rubbed over the skin can take away some of the colour. A sluff wipe can also help but this is quite abrasive.

Hi Sherrie.. long time since I saw you on the geek site :hug:

Your client looks to me like she has slept with her hands tucked between her knees. Sometimes in bed clients do this without knowing and if they have been sprayed close to them going to bed this often can happen.

Would this be a possibility.. what time of day did she get sprayed?

I agree, it looks like she has rubbed it off before it has developed fully, normally with hands it comes off because the client may have washed her hands after nipping to the loo, but in this case it looks more like a rubbing.

were both hands like this?

Hi Jen :hug:

It was around 2pm? she had it done on Wednesday but didnt contact me until Friday, she said she'd tried to get it off so I dont know at the moment if these pics were before or after she'd tried?

I have been waiting until today for the pics and they are worse than I imagined :Scared: I would have thought that even if she had slept with her hands between her knees or similar they wouldnt be so dark??

Or did you maybe have tan on your hands and hold her hand to turn it to do the inner arm. I only ask this as it looks finger shaped and dark.

Tell her it is not such a big deal and that it is just a freak thing that is unlikely to happen again and put lots of moisturiser on them before spraying next time. :hug:

She sounds a little odd that she thought the best thing was to wear a bandage! The hands fade so quickly it will be gone soon! Tell her to do the washing up without gloves on! x

were both hands like this?

Not sure yet, she did say 'hands' but only sent me the pic of one hand... I asked her if it happened anywhere else but she didnt answer that bit so i dont know? :eek:

It was around 2pm? she had it done on Wednesday but didnt contact me until Friday, she said she'd tried to get it off so I dont know at the moment if these pics were before or after she'd tried?

I have been waiting until today for the pics and they are worse than I imagined :Scared: I would have thought that even if she had slept with her hands between her knees or similar they wouldnt be so dark??

I really think this is something caused by the client as opposed to something you have done during the treatment. Could you post the other pics that she sent you so we can get more of an idea? :)

Did she try to make her hands darker herself then with tan later on! That would explain the finger shapes made by her other hand! Maybe she did it to herself? Surely otherwise 5 days later (today) it would have faded. This looks like DIY to me!

Or did you maybe have tan on your hands and hold her hand to turn it to do the inner arm. I only ask this as it looks finger shaped and dark.

Nope, never touch them, just ask them to turn over arm etc.... thanks for your replies, I really need to get to the bottom of this, feeling a bit deflated at the moment :cry:

Well yes it does go darker if you have tan to tan... so if her fingers were rubbing against her knees or other part of the body (I sleep with my hand under my armpits!) the tan would go much darker as its double the strength really. She might have had a lie down soon after the tan.. this is the only thing I can think of as it certainly looks similar to mine did the first time I had a spray tan.... I looked like I smoked 80 a day with the backs of my hands... and I had 8% only .. :eek:

I really think this is something caused by the client as opposed to something you have done during the treatment. Could you post the other pics that she sent you so we can get more of an idea? :)

the other pic is the same but a bit more distant, I had to get hubby to post this one as I couldnt get it to upload! :o I hope its nothing I did, but I would like to be able to give her an explanation... they always ask 'will it go patchy or orange?' I want to be able to tell them 'no' and be confident that it wont!

the other pic is the same but a bit more distant, I had to get hubby to post this one as I couldnt get it to upload! :o I hope its nothing I did, but I would like to be able to give her an explanation... they always ask 'will it go patchy or orange?' I want to be able to tell them 'no' and be confident that it wont!

have you contacted your tanning supplier hun? or the people you trained with? they may be able to help you figure it out xxx

also clients sometimes lie - sounds harsh but its a fact!

Nope, havent contacted them yet, thought i'd try you lot first :green: yes I know what you mean about clients 'bending the truth' lol.

Thinking about trying a different solution anyway, this might just swing it for me!

It looks a bit dark for 5days old!

Your hands are in and out of water all day, getting washed in the morn, dishes, going to the loo!

after 5days there is NO WAY (even with 12%) that it would still be that dark!

I think its DIY! Some tan lotions can actually strip parts of the spray tan off and this causes patches...

I think her hands have gone lighter after a few days with washing them and she has tried to tan them again with some other tan!

You should sell her some simply spray or the new essence of summer pump spray! xx

Nope, havent contacted them yet, thought i'd try you lot first :green: yes I know what you mean about clients 'bending the truth' lol.

Thinking about trying a different solution anyway, this might just swing it for me!

have a little faith in yourself hun! :hug: no matter what solution you used, this would have happened with this client, end of.

Are you going to contact her again? If so, tell her that nothing like this has ever happened before, and ask her what she did when she went home. My sister tried to tell me I had missed a patch on her hand once, turns out she cooked straight away and the steam from the pan took it off! xx

Clients can be little tinkers some times...

Having a closer look at the picture it looks like there is 2 issues going on: one where there are the darker patches that you mentioned but one also where it looks as if the tan hasnt developed as some liquid or water has ran across the hands (in between the fingers and slightly between the back of the hand and first knuckle).

I dont know if you will ever get the answer to what caused this, but it is always the hands that are the most difficult to master. What procedure do you have in spraying the clients arms and hands?

This is such a difficult one and realy is open to a lot of speculation..did you over spray,did the client rub the hands over a tan and therefore increased the DHA to the effected area,is the customer "cheating" to get another free tan from you...etc etc.

trust in yourself and the training you have had as well as all the numerouse other tans that have come out well...

One problematic tan (or customer) should not be alowed to get you uncertain as to your capabilities...

So if you are a pro..pick yourself up and face it head on given the facts....if she hasn't had a 12% before sugest a lower %,you cant call her a "trickster" so you might just have to do her a deal on another tan..if so make sure she gets full pre and post tan advice...:hug:

The main thing is dont let it dent your confidence....good luck and keep smiling:)

Can you possibly go and see the client? I was just thinking maybe then you can get a clearer picture of what happened, you can see the rest of the tan to see how that has developed and ask any questions....like did she do anything after you applied the tan - drive, cook, clean etc..

Thanks for all your responses :hug:

I sprayed her at her house and as far as I am aware she was staying in the rest of the day... I always give pre tan and post tan advice, always refer them to my website so they know how to prepare and always leave them with an aftercare leaflet and go through what to do and what not to do verbally too. She isnt new to tanning but it's the first time I have sprayed her. She said she loved the colour but isn't happy with her hands (cant blame her! lol)

I was going to offer her another tan at maybe half price but i'd do her a lower % next time, thing is she wants to be dark thats why she's having sunbeds too :eek: she has meditteranean skin and very dark hair etc, perfect candidate for a 12% you'd think... I dont want everyone thinking that if they moan they'll get it cheaper next time, cant see anyone wanting to do that deliberately though! must be embarrassing!

do you think it could have gone off or something? I do keep it cool and out of direct light etc but not in the fridge, if that was the case would that cause it to go patchy? then again i suppose it would be like that all over and not just on her hands.

Think i'll just have to put this one down to experience...

Back