Help, whats gone wrong with this tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What procedure do you have in spraying the clients arms and hands?

hard to put in writing really, I always start with cuticle oil on nails but never put any moisturiser on anywhere, although I have seen other people moisturise palms, soles of feet etc..

I spray down the outside of the arm and hand covering little finger, then i go back down the middle section including index and middle fingers, then the other edge of arm including forefinger and thumb, I spray everywhere with two coats apart from the hands which just get the overspray on the second coat, same when I do feet...I then ask client to turn over her arm so that i can lightly spray the underside going off in a Y shape at the wrist, then with her hand on her head I do the bit just underneath and carry on down the side of torso to waist... are you still with me? lol. At the end of the spray session I always buff the fingers and inside of wrist/ edges of little finger and thumb with a little couch roll just to make sure there are no tide marks, I try not to touch their hand though just support the palm when wiping fingers etc... this is how I was taught...

does this sound normal? lol

Thanks for all your responses :hug:

I sprayed her at her house and as far as I am aware she was staying in the rest of the day... I always give pre tan and post tan advice, always refer them to my website so they know how to prepare and always leave them with an aftercare leaflet and go through what to do and what not to do verbally too. She isnt new to tanning but it's the first time I have sprayed her. She said she loved the colour but isn't happy with her hands (cant blame her! lol)

I was going to offer her another tan at maybe half price but i'd do her a lower % next time, thing is she wants to be dark thats why she's having sunbeds too :eek: she has meditteranean skin and very dark hair etc, perfect candidate for a 12% you'd think... I dont want everyone thinking that if they moan they'll get it cheaper next time, cant see anyone wanting to do that deliberately though! must be embarrassing!

do you think it could have gone off or something? I do keep it cool and out of direct light etc but not in the fridge, if that was the case would that cause it to go patchy? then again i suppose it would be like that all over and not just on her hands.

Think i'll just have to put this one down to experience...

Unlikley that it has gone off (have you sprayed others using liquid from this same bottle)as she would be having problems all over her body...i think this is a case of excess DHA to the hands(everywhere else she is fine)...this could be caused either by overspray or more likley she has had contact with her hands to another part of her body and thus excessive DHA to these areas..(probably in her sleep)

DHA loves to soak into rough/damaged skin....the folds on her fingers are an area that could well do this..less likley than elbows,palms of the hands etc but never the less a possibility.
I think you are right...move on and put this behind you but please do let me know if you need any further help :hug:

it looks like there is 2 issues going on: one where there are the darker patches that you mentioned but one also where it looks as if the tan hasnt developed as some liquid or water has ran across the hands (in between the fingers and slightly between the back of the hand and first knuckle).

Thats what it looks like to me too, like it hasnt developed in places?

It looks like shes slept with her hands on her face or between legs but it is abit dark for 5 days shes probably applied a tan herself when her colour started to fade and cocked up her own hands!! why did it take her till day 5 to get in touch? Dont worry about it if your other tans are turning out ok i dare say its something shes done probably after another tan free of charge!!x x

Unlikley that it has gone off (have you sprayed others using liquid from this same bottle)

Yes I have but not for a few months probably? I mainly use 8% and 10%, probably more 8's this time of year, cant remember the last time I used 12? maybe just before Xmas? and she was a very dark skinned lady, I am VERY wary of it and only use it if I am sure they can take it :lol:

It looks like shes slept with her hands on her face or between legs but it is abit dark for 5 days shes probably applied a tan herself when her colour started to fade and cocked up her own hands!! why did it take her till day 5 to get in touch? Dont worry about it if your other tans are turning out ok i dare say its something shes done probably after another tan free of charge!!x x

She contacted me two days after and said she had pics, its just taken until today for me to receive them so tan was possibly 1/2 days old when pics were taken?

Unlikley that it has gone off (have you sprayed others using liquid from this same bottle)as she would be having problems all over her body...i think this is a case of excess DHA to the hands(everywhere else she is fine)...this could be caused either by overspray or more likley she has had contact with her hands to another part of her body and thus excessive DHA to these areas..(probably in her sleep)

DHA loves to soak into rough/damaged skin....the folds on her fingers are an area that could well do this..less likley than elbows,palms of the hands etc but never the less a possibility.
I think you are right...move on and put this behind you but please do let me know if you need any further help :hug:

You are right about DHA soaking into dry/rough skin Colin although i dont this that was the issue here. Incidentally, how would you recommend the hands are sprayed and what would you do differently with dry/rough hands to combat this soaking in problem?

please do let me know if you need any further help :hug:

You can come and spray my next client if you like! :green:

I'd like to know what to do to combat dry areas too please?

You can come and spray my next client if you like! :green:

I'd like to know what to do to combat dry areas too please?

Dry areas are dealt with by the client exfoliating the area pre tan, and if still very dry you could try putting a light barrier on the area... I don't ever use barriers but I just move my gun further away and lightly mist the dryer areas. You have been tanning as long as I have Sherrie.. you know how to get optimum results and have achieved them all this time. This client has knocked your confidence a little, try and be realistic and don't let this one incident blow your confidence all together. I still advocate that this lady has slept with her fingers skin to skin by the looks of the picture. If I was to tan her again, I would start with her hands, lightly misting at least 8 inches away from them then continue with the rest of the tan. By the time you complete the tan the hands will be starting to develop and you will see if you have white patches. Make sure the client hasnt put any hand cream on either before she comes to you, remind her that she has to have nothing on the skin pre tan.

Onwards and upwards... happy tanning :hug::hug:

Sherrie, I hope you are feeling a bit better about it all now.

There has been some good advice from other geeks :hug: but a few more things to add into the pot!

1. She could have rubbed in hand cream prior to the visit and tan (unlikely as her nails are not well maintained).
  2. She may have washed her hands after going to the toilet.
  3. She may have been wearing gloves - either latex or mittens/gloves which would cause her hands to be a) warmer b)sweaty
  4. She could have been using cleaning stuff, which has caused it to go streaky.
  5. She may have used a soap which fades the tan more quickly.
  6. She may have used makeup remover or spilt toner on her hands - the lighter places will exaggerate the darker bits
  7. She may have used a self tanning product herself thinking her hands were not even.
There are other things which could have happened, but whatever was the cause, I hope she realises that it is not the end of the world - it will fade quickly anyway, due to normal everyday life!

People believe that the tan will fade evenly, but in reality it doesn't - every bit of your body is not equally moisturised and you do not sweat the same amount from various places of your body for example!

Hope it all sorts out soon for you :hug::hug:

ah dont worry, looks like your client forgot herself and went to wash her hands after you left, put her hands under tap, remembered she had a tan and pulled back from tap, too late damage done. Never saw this before under any other circumstances other than what i said. Done it myself he, he, many years ago.:mad:

HI

You know what i have done that exact same thing to myself before! I had a tan at lunch one day then went to wash my hands later slipped them under the tap and then thought yikes bloody hell tan! so whipped them out and patted them dry, thats the effect i got, like dribbles of water through her hands!

I just washed up the next day with out gloves on and then scrubbed my hands with a rough towel gone.

As for your solution going off i doubt it it has a long shelf life.

Chin up you didn't do anything wrong!

thanks you lot, I do feel a bit better about it now, just need to grow a thicker skin I think! Instead of automatically thinking 'what did I do wrong' I should try to think 'what did SHE do wrong'...:hug:

thanks you lot, I do feel a bit better about it now, just need to grow a thicker skin I think! Instead of automatically thinking 'what did I do wrong' I should try to think 'what did SHE do wrong'...:hug:

Whenever I get a client back with any kind of problem (which is thankfully rare) my phrase tends to be "gosh what on earth have you done?" You tend to hear quite a few confessions after that! :green:

never mind the tan - look at those nails!

never mind the tan - look at those nails!

Do you know what, when I applied her cuticle oil pre-tan, I never noticed her nails being that bad :eek:... I'm sure they would have jumped out at me?...:confused:

Sorry, I know you have had plenty of replys to this thread but I'd like to add that I personally think she has applied a tanning lotion herself to her hands. I've done this myself with St Tropez and didn't rub it in properly and this is the effect I got.

in all fairness, that doesnt even look 'tantrick' coloured. im pretty pale, and have used 12% on myself, and it still only went brown!! NEVER orange!

only thursday, i did an 8% tan, and thought my gun wasnt sprayng, so i sprayed the back of my hand, at close range, SPLAT!! forgot to wash it off, and was left with one VERY brown hand, not orange, not patchy, just very very brown lol. OH, and now, 3 days after washign it off, its faded ALOT, almost back to normal.

In honesty, lookin at the pic and the colour of the tan, i would say there is some other kind of tan on there.
Maybe she used a bronze cream on the sunbed?

It looks a bit dark for 5days old!

Your hands are in and out of water all day, getting washed in the morn, dishes, going to the loo!

after 5days there is NO WAY (even with 12%) that it would still be that dark!

I think its DIY! Some tan lotions can actually strip parts of the spray tan off and this causes patches...

I think her hands have gone lighter after a few days with washing them and she has tried to tan them again with some other tan!

You should sell her some simply spray or the new essence of summer pump spray! xx

I couldn't agree more - definitely looks like a DIY top up to me

Back