Help when cutting a Long Layered Haircut

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Can anyone help me with my current dilemma? I have only just qualified so am still trying to find my feet!

At college, we were taught to always cut the base line first (the back then the sides) so that the hair is all the same length all around the head before starting the layers.

So, when cutting the back layers we were taught that when you hold the layers up to cut them, the base-line will drop so that you know you won't be cutting into the base-line.

However, when going onto cut the side layers, if the layers are shorter than the base-line at the side, the base-line doesn't drop. Does this mean that you actually cut into the base-line! That is my dilemma. I am really scared of cutting into the base-line at the sides. :eek:

I hope this makes sense! It is something that has really been bothering me and I can't seem to work it out.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Hi , when cutting the layers the base line at the side will drop, if you use your guide from the back layers to go forward they will be the same. Does this help?

If your worried about your base line at the front because it's graduated you could always overdirect the front sections to your guideline at the back! Hth :)

Or if your really worried about cutting into the length around the sides you could section some of it out around the ears to the front, then cut your layers through the front over directing them to the crown. Then once dry visually connect the layers in where needed.... If that makes sense hah

Maybe practice on a dolly head too, I found this gave me the confidence to work on 'real people'.
Su

I find i start at the back and cut 2 sections to the same length 1st then I start layering on the 3rd doing my long graduated layers. I use the bit underneath to keep the length as my guide but just a small section x

Yes, thankyou everyone, it does help. Is there any long layer cut video that anyone can recommend?

This will help me too x

Hiya,

When in doubt about this type of thing always go back to your hairdressing principles. Correct usage of over-direction and/or disconnection will ensure that you wont harm the outline but still be able to create nice internal layers :lol:

best wishes

Latest posts

Back