Help with a data protection clause

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless Tanning

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks

I am doing an Indulgence Day on Saturday and want to hold a raffle with the prize being a course of spray tans. I thought this would be a good way of getting peoples names and addresses for when I do mail shots etc.

I need to include a data protection clause on the forms and wonder if anyone had anything that I could use as I am not sure what it needs to say.

Also, am I allowed to do this as long as they give their consent on the form?

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

Jackie

Hi fellow geeks

I am doing an Indulgence Day on Saturday and want to hold a raffle with the prize being a course of spray tans. I thought this would be a good way of getting peoples names and addresses for when I do mail shots etc.

I need to include a data protection clause on the forms and wonder if anyone had anything that I could use as I am not sure what it needs to say.

Also, am I allowed to do this as long as they give their consent on the form?

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

Jackie

Hi Jackie,
cant help you on the wording for the data protection clause im afraid...have you tried to Google it.
I am surprised though that the organizers of this type of event would really want this doing...have they told you its a requirement as it seems a bit..well erm ..over the top given the nature of the event.:eek:

I would think that provided you tell people what you are going to do with their names and addy's and that it wont be passed onto any third parties that that should suffice?????

I know we've all got to be careful that what we do complies with legislation...but in this case mmmmm im not sure ???

Good luck on the day and hope it generates lots of new customers for you :hug:

Hello :)

Thats a great idea. I would just put a small box on the form for them to tick if they do not wish to receive further information from you. This then gives them the choice to opt out of receiving mail shots if they don't want them. Most people will be happy to get special offers from you though and the winner could turn into a regular customer and tell their friends!

Hope it goes well xx

Thanks for all your advice.

I have been asked by the organisers to make sure that a statement is put on anything where I am collecting client details.

I will try and google a clause, thanks Collin for the advice.

Just wanted to say that it isn't actually a raffle just a free competition rather than getting people to pay for a raffle ticket!

Jackie x

Hi Jackie,

all you have to do is add a tick box to allow the customer to 'opt out' of any mailshot or marketing campaigns.

Eg 'if you do not wish to receive any special offers or promotions from xxxx salon please tick here'.

Then under that in the T&C's of the comp add 'All data is protected under the data protection act and is only for the purpose of xxx and the property of xxxx. Details will not be passed on to or sold to any third party. Entrants have the right to opt out of any future mailings from xxx.'

Thats pretty much the basis of it.

I have done many comps and find that is satisfactory.

Kate xx

Hi Jackie,

all you have to do is add a tick box to allow the customer to 'opt out' of any mailshot or marketing campaigns.

Eg 'if you do not wish to receive any special offers or promotions from xxxx salon please tick here'.

Then under that in the T&C's of the comp add 'All data is protected under the data protection act and is only for the purpose of xxx and the property of xxxx. Details will not be passed on to or sold to any third party. Entrants have the right to opt out of any future mailings from xxx.'

Thats pretty much the basis of it.

I have done many comps and find that is satisfactory.

Kate xx

This is practically word for word what I got from the ICO's office when I called them with the same question so go with it!

Thanks Ladies

That is just what I was looking for. Really appreciate your help on this.

Jackie x

as long as they opt in you are fine, also give clear details of how they can opt out in the future.

Latest posts

Back