Help with advice on refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
have a client saying her tracks are coming out... for extensions
she had short hair...but i did say it may not be the best method..

anyway they are coming out..after abut a week

she wants a whole refund now..

ive suggested she now do micro rings as it may be better for her hair..(what i suggested in the first place)
as long as she keep the hair she has and we re-use it.

but she wants a refund for her hair and application.

what would you do?

would you refund the cost of application?

i feel like crap now never had problem before with extensions.. erghh ...
only once when it matted but they came in and got it sorted..

but she is in america and says she is paying to do it there so will need a refund when she get back.

Last edited:
have a client saying her tracks are coming out... for extensions
she had short hair...but i did say it may not be the best method..

anyway they are coming out..after abut a week

she wants a whole refund now..

ive suggested she now do micro rings as it may be better for her hair..(what i suggested in the first place)
as long as she keep the hair she has and we re-use it.

but she wants a refund for her hair and application.

what would you do?

would you refund the cost of application?

i feel like crap now never had problem before with extensions.. erghh ...
only once when it matted but they came in and got it sorted..

but she is in america and says she is paying to do it there so will need a refund when she get back.

I know nothing about hair but I would be inclined to say that if you advised her of something in the first place and she decided to go ahead with it anyway then I would not offer her a refund but remind her of the advice you gave her and the decision that SHE made....and offer to re do with the same hair as you said....its not your fault shes in america...tell her to bring the hair back and you will re-use it...

OR if you had said to her in the first place that the method u were using is not suitable for short hair but lets try it anyway then I think you should re-do them using the method that is suitable!

hth a bit...like I said I know naff all about hair! :lol:

i basically offered to do if for her using the hair she has..

using a different method this time which i advised to use before... i don have a problem with that.

i dont see why i should i refund because she is doing them in america...

i dont want to be unreasonable though..

Last edited:
i basically offered to do if for her using the hair she has..

using a different method this time which i advised to use before... i don have a problem with that.

i dont see why i should i refund because she is doing them in america...

i dont want to be unreasonable though..

Well then I would definately stick to your guns...you gave her the advice in the first place and it was her decision to go against it..you have been more than reasonable by offering to re-do them :hug: and if she gets really really mad and het up I would then be inclined to say....''alright...keep your bloody hair on!'' :lol: lol sorry

i have done short before and was fine with that method... but her hair was in really bad condition (really dead hair from bleaching) she needed about 2 inches cut but she didnt want it cut... im wondering if that affected how long the tracks lasted.. i dont know

and thats never happened before where its come out so fast.. . i have no idea nd its just going to bug me now...

i know you cant please everyone... but i hate to think someone isnt happy with my job..:)

Last edited:
Far be it for me to suggest a client would lie:rolleyes: but I do find it amazing that she's unavailable for you to see for yourself why the hair is coming out, i.e. apart from it being something you advised against could it be coming out because she's not following the after care advise? I'm not a hairdresser:eek:
but I do know that its the same for you guy's as it is for us, if you don't do as we tell you, then you wont get the best results.
So, you advised against this and now it's all gone wrong she wants a refund.
No, I wouldn't give it to her. I would stick to my guns and say anytime you want to come back with the hair, I'll do you a new application, my way, free.
She's having it redone in America, mmmmmmmm ok, then how about, subject to the hair being one you are happy to work with and the method being one you are happy to work with, when she needs her hair redone you will do this treatment for her, with your complements.

I wouldn't give a refund without seeing a client first.
You can't tell how bad it is without actually seeing it for yourself.
I would tell her that your policy is no refunds without seeing a client a first.
Anyway could just ring up and say they weren't happy and want a refund!

she said she has taken it out and will get it redone before she comes bk so i cant check it..
she set a pic and she was holding the extensions to show were it was loose (assume it was her pic is from the back)..

i said if she comes in by end of oct (she is back the 19th from what she told me before) i will re-do with another method..

i know she was going away as she mentioned it before..

im thinking id have to put some sort of time limit on her coming into salon for it to be redone for free and not in 8 weeks when her ones in america need to redone..
i would have liked to see in person but i cant as she said she doesnt have it in..

Last edited:
she didnt follow your professional advice.
she has no grounds for complaint.
it would be more than generous of you to offer to reinstall them with rings for her. a refund is out of the question especially as you havent seen the problem.

well at least i know i wasnt unfair...... thats what i did and i thought it was fair

i said by end of oct for her to contact the salon to get it redone..

she is back in about 10 days..

thats if she doesnt do it in america she wouldnt need it done when she is back...

but im not going to wait 8/12 weeks for her to come back for her freebie... ( maybe harsh but true)

You can't refund without seeing her.
Ok she sent you a picture with her holding her extensions. So what?
How do you know she hadn't taken them out?
Anything could have happened to them!
Sorry but i wouldn't refund. I'm not sure i'd put them back in again for free either!
Some clients do like to try it on!

You gave her your professional opinion and she decided to ignore it and take the risk anyway. Therefore she has no right to demand a refund.

I think you did the right thing by offering to redo her hair and it was her choice to decline. I would not refund her.

I would also insist on seeing any complaint in person so that you can determine the cause of the problem.

Be polite, but stay firm!

Don't doubt yourself sweetheart. Like you said this was your only problem and it might not even be true. The picture could have been of anyone and when she comes back in however many weeks, where is the proof that she has it redone? It could be the hair you put in and she might just be after a free treatment.

Relax and breathe xxx

i think she's trying it on too, hopefully the hair she gets in the states is cheap processed hair she will then be sorry she pulled yours out! They'll know she's on holiday and whip out the bad hair knowing she cant come back to complain. if she does come back give her the microrings she'll have a job getting them out!

I have a girl that went from short with fusion to long and had it in 4 months no problems, so next lot she decided on black with pink through it. i wondered if she would really like it but done it because she insisted, low and behold 2 weeks later she said the pink was just shedding out and wants purple instead. i asked her to hang onto the hair if she could so i could "complain to supplier" well every bit was intact with obvious picking, then she says will i just pick the rest of the pink out, i've acetone here!

so when i got there i said ah i'll rebond n really stuck them in. the black was perfect! Her friend said in passing that she said shes bored with the colour and cant get them out, then on my facebook page writes " eh Pam my hairs just falling out like before theres nothing left of it, i paid good money so i want brown and blonde instead" i rang her and said well you have them in near 3 months now so due a new lot soon. if you want to pay for the hair i'll change them. She then said "no its grand so, i'll wait till these need doing and then get brown they are fine for now" i said ok bye and hung up!:grr:

an essay i know, im irritated again!

Good luck Leonni, your not having a great time of it lately xxx

i think she's trying it on too, hopefully the hair she gets in the states is cheap processed hair she will then be sorry she pulled yours out! They'll know she's on holiday and whip out the bad hair knowing she cant come back to complain. if she does come back give her the microrings she'll have a job getting them out!

I have a girl that went from short with fusion to long and had it in 4 months no problems, so next lot she decided on black with pink through it. i wondered if she would really like it but done it because she insisted, low and behold 2 weeks later she said the pink was just shedding out and wants purple instead. i asked her to hang onto the hair if she could so i could "complain to supplier" well every bit was intact with obvious picking, then she says will i just pick the rest of the pink out, i've acetone here!

so when i got there i said ah i'll rebond n really stuck them in. the black was perfect! Her friend said in passing that she said shes bored with the colour and cant get them out, then on my facebook page writes " eh Pam my hairs just falling out like before theres nothing left of it, i paid good money so i want brown and blonde instead" i rang her and said well you have them in near 3 months now so due a new lot soon. if you want to pay for the hair i'll change them. She then said "no its grand so, i'll wait till these need doing and then get brown they are fine for now" i said ok bye and hung up!:grr:

an essay i know, im irritated again!

Good luck Leonni, your not having a great time of it lately xxx

i suppose you dont realy think of what people will do really unless it happens then you get to know all the tricks of the trades.. definetely learning what people will do for a freebie..

but that reminds of one person who came in and couldnt decide between purple or blue highlights this was in my first week of opening.. anywhoo she had the blue and then said it wasnt what she thought and hated it and would we do the purple free as it would look better... gosh that was a 30 minute showdown in the shop lol....

if she does it over there even better for me really (yep i know im bad) ..
but if she has taken out and she is being honest ( i try to give benefit of doubt) im sure she could wait a week to get it re-done over here rather then paying more over there... well thats what i think anyway as i offered a free replacement ( even though i havent actually seen it but i felt v.bad last night after she texted).

lol.. they say it comes in 3's dont they....:eek:

Classic example of how important the consultation is. It is your insurance card. I have kicked people out of my chair that would go around and around and change what we discussed during the consultation, because, I recap, sometimes even twice, so I know we are both on the same page.

You told her, she didn't listen.
You offered to fix it, she declined.
Now she is going somewhere else to get them done, how can you guarantee your work when someone else has been working this woman's head?
Then, to come back 8 weeks later when she is due again........?
She isn't loyal to you, she is looking for a free ride.

It's hard to take it when someone complains, but. She didn't give you a chance to fix it, or even look at it. She used your time, which you spent lots of time and money to get licensed and the training you sought after.

It's one thing if she called you a couple of days later, not a week and a half later.

No, don't refund her. You are going to suck up a loss that you warned her about, and she will not appreciate it and cut you up anyway.

ok.. i got a text she had it re-done elsewheretoday eand now wants to know if she can have it done for free when it needs to be done in 2 months
...i knew that was coming

Last edited:
ok.. i got a text she had it re-done elsewheretoday eand now wants to know if she can have it done for free when it needs to be done in 2 months
...i knew that was coming

yes, you could see the way it was going.

your reply was ?

lol.... still trying to figure out a reply..

yes im a softie.. must be my hormones :eek:..

basically for me its no as my offer was for her to get it redone now not 2 month down the line.. fair enough client is on holiday for the next 10 days but if it was me i wouldnt pay out again if my stylist said when you come back id do it for free for you.. and then expect it to be free when that needs to be re-done..

but im very blunt in wording so trying to pick words carefully. :eek:

lol.... still trying to figure out a reply..

yes im a softie.. must be my hormones :eek:..

basically for me its no as my offer was for her to get it redone now not 2 month down the line.. fair enough client is on holiday for the next 10 days but if it was me i wouldnt pay out again if my stylist said when you come back id do it for free for you.. and then expect it to be free when that needs to be re-done..

but im very blunt in wording so trying to pick words carefully. :eek:

i shouldnt think you'll be in work when she comes back, you will be on maternity leave no?

il still be there on saturdays (its only half day ) with hubby until i have baby but wont be there for at least 4 weeks after i have her.. which may be around the time she needs her new ones done...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back