Help with colouring grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
Hi my hair has been going grey since I was 20 and I'm now 46. I used to have it coloured a dark brown, which was my natural colour before I started going grey. But the roots grew through so quickly that I was having it coloured every 3 weeks and it was costing a fortune. I decided to start colouring it myself and at first it was ok but I could never find a really natural looking brown, everything had red in it. I somehow managed over the years to get the red out and started to go lighter and lighter, thinking that the grey wouldn't notice so much when it grew. I'm not totally sure what colour I am now lol but its very light brown or could that be dark blonde. When a colour on the box says dark blonde, it looks brown to me lol.:lol:

I really want to go even lighter, at the moment there are very light bits running through my hair where the colour hasn't taken properly on the grey and it looks like highlights and very natural.

Waffle, waffle, anyway my question is can i use a permanent blonde colour on my light brown hair without having to have the colour lifted first, a bleach bath i think its called, I had it once many years ago and spent 6 hours in the hairdressers and it still came out orange, hence me not wanting to go back to a hairdresser.

as I said i've been going grey since I was 20 and quite honestly its depressing. I know i can't go back to chocolate brown as I just can't keep up with the regrowth.

any suggestions or is there a mobile hairdresser in the Reading, Newbury, Basingstoke area who could sort me out.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm very down at the mo, business slow and I just need something to pick me up a bit. Oh my hair is short, I've given up with having it long and coloured.

Lorraine x

Hi Lorraine
I can't offer advice but am in the same boat as you .
Turned grey and am colouring every 2 weeks ahhhhh
The only god send for me is that I swap nail treatments for my hair.
If I had to pay it would be too expensive
Can you swap something you do even if it for every other time so you get a proffesional colour to keep it looking even???

Thanks for replying Melons, I keep asking on here if anyone wants to swap treatments. I do lash extensions and would like mine done but nobody seems interested. I might just go for it and try a lighter colour but some advice on which colour/brand would be a help.........

anyone out there, please.

A tint will not lighten a tint, a few highlights would lift the colour a few shades though.

There is no magic colour that will not show grey regrowth though, even blondes show grey regrowth.

Please see a hairdresser or model at a college rather than do it yourself.x

A tint will not lighten a tint, a few highlights would lift the colour a few shades though.

There is no magic colour that will not show grey regrowth though, even blondes show grey regrowth.

Please see a hairdresser or model at a college rather than do it yourself.x

Of course the regrowth would still show but I am thinking that grey against blonde would be slightly easier on the eye that grey against dark brown. It drives me mad but have noticed the lighter I go then the longer I can go between colouring.

Perhaps I should think about some highlights.

thank you for your reply

Hi Lorraine
I will ask my lovely hairdresser Emily for advice.
I just looked at your web site to see where you are but couldn't see??
Presuming Essex way cos of Pinewood training??:Grope:

Hi Lorraine

Oh crikey I had better look into that. I'm in Tadley near Basingstoke, Newbury, Reading. sort of in the middle of them. Decided to travel to pinewood as it looked good and it was.

Hi Lorraine

It says my address right at the bottom of the last page the one that says contact me. Phew i was worried then.

Latest posts

Back