Help with facials please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to begin the facial module of my course. We haven't been given the notes yet but have been given a list of the sort of things we would need to complete a facial treatment.

Along with many others on the list there is a facial steamer and mag lamp, what would you say would be the best ones to get? I would say that I will quite possibly be going mobile as well as working from home?

Also what skin range would you recomend for a beginner?

Anything else you have found to be useful that I would need to buy?

Sorry for all the questions, many thanks for reading,

Louise xx

Hi everyone,

I am about to begin the facial module of my course. We haven't been given the notes yet but have been given a list of the sort of things we would need to complete a facial treatment.

Along with many others on the list there is a facial steamer and mag lamp, what would you say would be the best ones to get? I would say that I will quite possibly be going mobile as well as working from home?

Louise xx

oooooooooh you have to buy your own equipment? Is that cos you're not at college hunni? Well you will need the mag lamp for consultations, and a steamer for during the treatments. If I had to buy one it would be the steamer.

As for a skincare range, well, I used the superdrug fragrance-free range for practising my routines on other people at home! But you can get other ranges from your local suppliers like sally's, they stock cheap brands like natures way and skin struth or salon systems.

You'll need sponges and a bowl, cotton wool squares or pads, cotton wool and orange sticks for taking off mascara, towles, couch roll and some sort of trolley to keep everything on. If you buy any electrical equipment you'll need to have it PAT tested before you use it on clients.

you'll also need a masque brush

and dont forget headbands! lolxx

Oh no sorry I meant for when I start up at home, we have all the equipment to use for training at college. It was just that in my experience the equipment they recomended wasn't the best quality so I thought I'm better check on here first.

I'm terrible for wanting a bit of an idea before I start anything!! xx

Oh no sorry I meant for when I start up at home, we have all the equipment to use for training at college. It was just that in my experience the equipment they recomended wasn't the best quality so I thought I'm better check on here first.

I'm terrible for wanting a bit of an idea before I start anything!! xx

well I think you've got it pretty much covered, what makes you think the equipment wasnt that good? Is it that it looks old and out of date or is it dropping to bits lol xx

I mean that when I asked them what they recomend for me to purchase (from having done waxing and nails) the answers they gave did not turn out to be the best product I could have purchased.
We have found that they often recomend the purchase of products and equipment available from the college, 'college kits'. We have just found them not to be that good quality xx

I mean that when I asked them what they recomend for me to purchase (from having done waxing and nails) the answers they gave did not turn out to be the best product I could have purchased.
We have found that they often recomend the purchase of products and equipment available from the college, 'college kits'. We have just found them not to be that good quality xx

some college kits can be quite basic. Have you looked in your local suppliers? Or even thought about second hand equipment? It all boils down to budget really. xxx

What I advise is to wait until you have completed the facial module of the course.Are you doing an NVQ L2 qualification or something else?
I would go to Olympia beauty show and have a look around at the equipment there and check out the deals. You could try the following websites.
Salons Direct: Professional hairdressing supplies, beauty products, salon furniture and equipment at wholesale prices!
ellisons
Beauty Express: Professional Beauty Products delivered direct to you

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say that your college kit is c**p.Mine is a bit rubbish too,Ive had to spend out on other better quality implements.
xx

Thanks everyone for their replies,

I just don't have much faith in the college kits anymore so rather than have to buy again like I did last time I thought I'd ask you guys first!

Regarding the steamers, what does everyone use? If you are using the 'table top' portable steamers and there major disadvantages of this way?

Louise xx

Regarding the steamers, what does everyone use? If you are using the 'table top' portable steamers and there major disadvantages of this way?

Louise xx

I use a portable steamer in my salon and I can honestly say that there are no disadvantages that I have come across at all! It's a fab little piece of kit and mine came with a travel case too.

Hi everyone,

Louise xx

HI JUST SEEN YOUR POST ASKIG FOR SKINCARE FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS. ALGOLOGIE DO A SMALL COLLEGE KIT, IF YOU ARE INTRESTED PM ME.

I HAVE PUT THE WEBSITE BELOW FOR YOU

ALGOLOGIE France

hiya last week i brought a new mag lamp it has a daylight baulb 22wt as im also doing nails it is really excellent i got it from maplins (they have a web site yoiu can purchase from) i paid £30 down from £60 i checked out my spotty teenagers skin under it , brilliant showed up lots of pustles and comodones i loved it !!lol :lol:

hiya last week i brought a new mag lamp it has a daylight baulb 22wt as im also doing nails it is really excellent i got it from maplins (they have a web site yoiu can purchase from) i paid £30 down from £60 i checked out my spotty teenagers skin under it , brilliant showed up lots of pustles and comodones i loved it !!lol :lol:

Lissa

Do you have the website address for maplins, I can't seem to find it.

I just brought the maplins one! I thought I'd use it for nails too.

I've been doing loads of searches and just read that some people use hot towels INSTEAD of steam?! I'm even more confused than I was now, I can't want to start learning, all will become clear!!! xx

Hi everyone,

There is a few on ebay that are portable that has the ozone, very lightweight and easy to store away.

There is a few good skin care range - skin truth do a good range.

Treatment couch.
Trolley
Towels
Body products/equipment if doing electrical
Waxing pot and products if doing waxing.
Good make up range for make up.
Storage bags or trolley for products to store away.
After care leaflets for each treatments.

Some information to think of.

I've been doing loads of searches and just read that some people use hot towels INSTEAD of steam?! I'm even more confused than I was now, I can't want to start learning, all will become clear!!! xx

I use both. You will find that not all skin types are suitable for steaming so a gentler option of hot towels is used instead.

Good luck with your course.:hug:

Latest posts

Back