Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB_Silvermoon

Reaction score
Hi I am new......Have only been doing nails a short time and my boss would like me to "do" a set of nails in an hour. Any advice? i can do it in a hour and 40 mins

Either get your boss to spend time training you to hone your techniques to get down to an hour, or get a new boss!!!!!!!!!!

you mean... in the door, consultation, prep, apply tips and your chosen system, finish off etc and payment... all in one hour?????? that's ridiculous

i'd be surprised if there's many tech's who regularly turn out full beautiful sets in an hour??

I may be wrong - but i think i'd be more than happy with 1hr 40mins!

Other than that, I guess the only thing that will improve your speed is practise, but even so, an hour does not sound very long to me!

I would love to help but there is no way i or anyone else can help you to do nails in 1 hour.....if i could i would do it for myself....lol i still take 2 - 2 1/2 hours from in the door to out the door...

Your boss isn't being fair to put this kind of pressure on you....does your boss do nails ? if so are they any good ? if he/she wants you to do nails in an hour he/she should train you up....

I would discuss this with your boss some more ....xxxxx

i used to have a boss like that, expecting full sets to be done in an hour, she couldn't do nails herself though!!!!!!!?
i often told her that quality could not be achieved in an hour and i would not ruin my reputation by so, just so her till would benefit!!
I'm sure if you had a word with your boss that quality is better than quantity AND quality will keep clients coming back!!!!

ValencianNails said:
you mean... in the door, consultation, prep, apply tips and your chosen system, finish off etc and payment... all in one hour?????? that's ridiculous

Sandy is quite right!

This is just the basics no room for quality here in an hour.
I am sure you are doing a fab job in your completion time now 1hr 40 mins.

I think your boss is being unreasonable one hour per set is expecting to much of you.
You still have your reputation as a qualified nail tech to keep up, just dont skip corners to please your boss( sorry not saying you would, its just an expression) you must really speak to her.
There are some bosses out there who would appreciate your talent as is.

Good luck, Keep up the good work.
Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxxx

:cool:

Hi

Try to organize a private meeting After Work- before could interrupt you as you only have so much time before your clients for the day will arrive. You dont want to be UPSET for the day if things are left unsaid.
Write down your list of your Q's - A's - Suggestions - Professional recommendations so its clear in your mind & you can stay firm in your delivery..
Also confirming that you have THOUGHT about this sensibly.

Keep calm..............Let her know that you have ADVANCED so far with your SKILLS
& at the moment you would be sacrificing Quality for Quantity .
You love your work & respect your clients.
To stick to the set time
Would undermine your efforts - risking your Reputation & The Salons.[hers]

If she understands & hears you...GREAT....

If not ......KEEP CALM ................. & at that point.
Let her know you would like to disscuss this further. Arrange a time,
IMO I would wait maybe a couple of days - week maximum.
Sit & work out what will WORK for the both of you....

In the meantime........ JUST IN CASE.....
Have a look as to whats available around your way.
Doesn't hurt to have a back up plan.. At the end of the day the final decision is hers.. as to how the Salon operates.....
Its up to you if you can DEAL.....

Best of Luck..
XX J XX

I think this is very unfair of your boss. Obviously your speed will increase with time anyway, pushing it before you are ready will just lead to mistakes as you try to take shortcuts. I'd worry more about the quality of your work than your speed.

I can do a full set in an hour as I sculpt rather than tip & try to shape with my brush to reduce the filing needed to finish so most of my time is spent on prep & application. This is only because I do nails 6 days a week & certainly doesn't apply to every client, especially if they are new. I normally leave about 1 hour 30 to do a full set so I don't have to rush. I think 1 hour 40 sounds fine & it will go down with practise. I think you need to have a word with your boss & let him/her see how unrealistic this demand is.

Good luck!

I do uv acrylics and usually do them in 1hr 15 mins...but that is just doing the nails...you have got the initial consultation and filling in client record cards...maybe selling the client products...all in all I allow 1hr 30 mins in my appointment book for a set...otherwise all that in 1 hr as other posts have said is asking a bit much.

Thank you all .:smack:

Sounds like your boss is going for quantity and not quality. I say get a new boss or better still, become your own :)

jnail said:
:cool:

Hi

Try to organize a private meeting After Work- before could interrupt you as you only have so much time before your clients for the day will arrive. You dont want to be UPSET for the day if things are left unsaid.
Write down your list of your Q's - A's - Suggestions - Professional recommendations so its clear in your mind & you can stay firm in your delivery..
Also confirming that you have THOUGHT about this sensibly.

Keep calm..............Let her know that you have ADVANCED so far with your SKILLS
& at the moment you would be sacrificing Quality for Quantity .
You love your work & respect your clients.
To stick to the set time
Would undermine your efforts - risking your Reputation & The Salons.[hers]

If she understands & hears you...GREAT....

If not ......KEEP CALM ................. & at that point.
Let her know you would like to disscuss this further. Arrange a time,
IMO I would wait maybe a couple of days - week maximum.
Sit & work out what will WORK for the both of you....

In the meantime........ JUST IN CASE.....
Have a look as to whats available around your way.
Doesn't hurt to have a back up plan.. At the end of the day the final decision is hers.. as to how the Salon operates.....
Its up to you if you can DEAL.....

Best of Luck..
XX J XX

Excellent advice Janice (aka my nail mom)

Latest posts

Back