hi :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myle83

Reaction score
hi,

I'm new here & wondering if you could help me.
I've always been into nails & got my nails done religiously b4. However, the nail place I got them done, had moved :cry: So, I looked around and started to go to this new place. The nails always looked good. So I mentioned to them, I liked the idea of doing it & what they would suggest for me. So, the lady offered to train me there. But she doesnt really use the terms that Ive been reading here?

Onycholysis?
Onychophagy?
Monomer etc...

I've seen her certificate hanging on the wall, which says she's got a Dipolma in Nail Technology but does this mean she is able to train me up?

I really want to train & train well, so what do you advise?

sounds like a wonderful opportunity but jst make sure you find a bit more about it.... she may be able to offer you a accredited certifate if is in the position to.... check it out a bit more...

well done and good luck hunni!

If she has a certificate in Nail Technology, this means she is a qualified nail technician, not necessarily an educator. She may be technically able to train you but would an insurance company recognise your "certificate". Would you be qualified enough to get a job elsewhere?

I suggest you contact some of the quality nail companies and check out their training packages. Look in the Links section under Site Stuff.

Good luck

I totally agree with Fiona.

You want a recognized certificate and the underpining knowledge of anatomy and physiology and health and safety, disorders and diseases etc etc as well as the practical side of things. This girl will not give you this.

I have known many 'nail technicians' make this offer just to gain extra money and you will NOT get a proper grounding to do the job yourself.

Go to a recognized and reputable training provider and don't short cut on this most important aspect of the profession.

There are too many amateurs who fall into this category and by the sound of you , your standards are higher than that or you wouldn't have posted on this site. You are right to have concerns. Would you let your daughter learn this way if she were asking to become a professional?? I bet youwouldn't. You'd want the best education she could get and it is definitely NOT from a working nail technician who has no formal representation.

I agree with Geeg..

I did my own nails for 3 years, based on what I had picked up from my own Nail Tech.

When I decided to actually learn the art properly I signed up with Creative and I learnt SO much.. Some of the main things I learnt was how badly I was abusing the products and that how I did not know how my untrained actions could have actually caused problems.

In actual fact, I had to pretty much un-learn everything from the past 3 years.. So learning from my Nail Tech was no massive advantage in the end, in fact it was probably a slight hinderance.

Good luck with it all tho'.

Hi!

So what every1 is saying is that, even if she did train me up, showed me what to do etc.. she wouldnt probably be able to give me a proper certificate at the end of it?.. Or one that would get me a proper job?

I mean what are the best courses to go on?
My friend ordered this thing off the net, which include a hand, video & I'm guessing it was a pretty much teach yourself. However in it, came a certificate already with her name on!! So I'm just confused on whats what out there!
Do most people train with Creative? I've also heard of Star Nails? Is that completely something different?

Also, I'm confused on the whole NVQ & Diploma thing?
What do they mean????

Help me please!

As Fiona mentioned there are plenty of reputable companies around who will train you and enable you to gain insurance. You will learn so much more in depth and at a quicker rate, with all your questions answered.

Us Educators have had to train to a high standard, and demonstrate our skills to the top guys in the industry to become educators, don't let a Nail Tech fool you into parting with your hard earned cash when you won't even get a recognised certificate.

The NVQ is a nationally recognised qualification, however, to do this you will have to have knowledge and practice in the nail industry - it is not education as such, more of a recognition of your standards of practice. You need to get your practice and knowledge in place first.

Diploma - This is what some companies refer to their training as being, it is not however in the same department as a University Diploma, it just sounds good and many people go for that fact alone.

All the best of luck in your future successful career as a Nail Tech.

So which is better NVQ or Diploma???

Or they both the same??

I'm so confused with eveythin:|

I think if she were serious about training you, she should send you on at least a basic training course, maybe with the system you are using. You may also want to get yourself some books ei: the Art and Science of Nail Technology and maybe Nail Structure and Product Chemistry are good starters. Some of the terms and words may look scarry but they arn't really and it is best you get familiar with your dissorders and diseases. It is really interesting as well.

myle83 said:
Hi!

So what every1 is saying is that, even if she did train me up, showed me what to do etc.. she wouldnt probably be able to give me a proper certificate at the end of it?.. Or one that would get me a proper job?

I mean what are the best courses to go on?
My friend ordered this thing off the net, which include a hand, video & I'm guessing it was a pretty much teach yourself. However in it, came a certificate already with her name on!! So I'm just confused on whats what out there!
Do most people train with Creative? I've also heard of Star Nails? Is that completely something different?

Also, I'm confused on the whole NVQ & Diploma thing?
What do they mean????

Help me please!
She would give you a certificate but it would probably mean diddly squat in the real world. I would only take someone on if they had training by a nationally recognised company. If you are not sure if her training is natioanlly recognised you could phone a company like BABTAC or the ANT and see if her training would be recognised to cover you for insurance, if the answer is no then don't bother.

It sounds like your friend bought the Nail Trainer off a dodgy supplier off the internet ( was it e-bay by any chance?), and is definitely NOT to be recommended.

As you will see from this site a lot of people do train with Creative and are very satisfied and loyal customers. There are a vast range of manufacturing suppliers out there, some good and some not so good. Research (particularly on this site) will soon confirm who are the good, the bad and the downright ugly so choose wisely to save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run. Star Nails are another brand, and although they have their loyal followers I personally am not happy with their ethos that anyone can go into a branch of Sally's and buy the products without ANY training at all, JMHO.

and your training should be continuous, so one certificate on the wall is not a good inditement of this, again JMHO. HTH

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

JMHO??

just my humble opinion!!!

Latest posts

Back